• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Spencerhill Associates

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, quiet here, eh? I'm sent a sub to Jennifer S. Anyone else out there waiting?

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the trench! I brought a bag of Smart Food & S. Pellegrino. ;)

rathhaven

Registered
Reaction score
queried 9/1 nalini akolekar request for partial and synopsis 9/24. Has anyone had any responses from this new agent at Spencerhill?

Crzywritergrl

The Devil is a selfish twit
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't but I did hear back from Ms. Solem. Apparently she is not interested in quirky paranormal. According to my neighbor, who is repped by Ms. Solem, she prefers romance and erotica. She is a really nice agent and very sharp. All of my correspondence with the agency have been quick. On my first novel I got a request for a partial in under an hour, and a rejection (non-form and invite for anything else I might write in the future) two weeks later. I sent a query for a Romance to which she was not thrilled at the story line (neither was I for that matter) and got a one day turnaround response. My neighbor says they are efficient and fast so hopefully you will hear back on your partial very soon.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I've subbed to Jennifer twice this year, 2 different books, and she's never responded. I think the 2nd query has only been 3 months, though.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Jennifer represents the "other" Lori Foster (who is the reason I go by Lori Duffy Foster). I queried her once and she was very kind, but my novel is a courtroom drama set in the 1920s. She said then that she prefers to rep serial novels, such as romance. The "other" Lori Foster is also quite nice, by the way.

Crzywritergrl

The Devil is a selfish twit
Registered
Reaction score
Ummm... on Agent Query it does say that they accept queries by referral, which come to think of it, my neighbor gave me the referral and I got a prompt reply. I am not sure if she accepts unsolicited queries, but it is worth a try.

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
I'm currently reading Stephanie Dray's Lily of the Nile (it's awesome so far, btw). I'm considering submitting to Jennifer because "Lily" is historical fiction/historical fantasy and so is my book, but so far everything I've found about Jennifer suggests she's more interested in a female perspective, which my book has a minimal amount of. Anyone know if she's interested in historical fiction from a male perspective?

THingleton

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what happend to Jennifer Schober @ Spencerhill? Did she go elsewhere She is no longer listed as an agent for this agency.
Thanks

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Shame. JS would have been the one I'd have queried. Probably. Anyway, any recent interactions? Anybody got a partial/full out with Spencerhill?

I'm also a little confused by what they actually represent. Romance mainly, yes. But on their submissions guidelines page, they say:
"We are currently considering submissions from published and un-published authors in the following genres: commercial, general-interest fiction, romance including historical romance, paranormal romance, urban fantasy, erotic fiction, category romance, literary fiction, thrillers and mysteries."

However, neither of the agents mention an interest in the paranormal/fantasy side on their personal bios, so I'm not sure who/if to query. My MS is Fantasy Romance.

GiannaSimone

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on Amanda Leuck at Spencerhill? I just got a request for a full on my erotic Viking historical romance, but I don't see her on the website, or anywhere else.

Thanks!

Gianna

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering submitting to an agent here, but since the latest posts here are from 2014, I was wondering if anyone had more recent experience with this agency.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
I was doing research on a new agent with this firm (Ali Herring). From what I can see on PubMarketplace, she's had one sale thus far. Everyone's got to start somewhere, I suppose, but she's not listed as an assistant in any sales by another agent, meaning she may not have had the senior mentoring in her development that I'd like to see.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Anything new? The free version I can see of PM also doesn't show anything for Ali Herring. Has that changed (for those folks who have the full version)?

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Stych!! PM shows two deals for Ms. Herring (one from May of last year, the second from April 2019). The April 2019 sale was to Crooked Hill Press. Hope that helps!!!

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Stych!! PM shows two deals for Ms. Herring (one from May of last year, the second from April 2019). The April 2019 sale was to Crooked Hill Press. Hope that helps!!!

My google skills must be broken. I get no relevant results from a restricted search on "Crooked Hill Press."

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Gah, my bad! It's "Crooked Lane." Sorry about that!

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
That works! Crooked Lane is a small, independent press, but it has relatively experienced folks at the helm. Not likely to be much in terms of advances, and they don't require agented submissions. I'm not sure this adds much to her credentials.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was doing research on a new agent with this firm (Ali Herring). From what I can see on PubMarketplace, she's had one sale thus far. Everyone's got to start somewhere, I suppose, but she's not listed as an assistant in any sales by another agent, meaning she may not have had the senior mentoring in her development that I'd like to see.

Recently on Twitter she was asking editors if it's okay to sub with the December break coming up. As you say, everyone's got to start somewhere, and better to ask than not know, but isn't this the sort of thing the senior agents in her agency should be providing guidance on?

She sounds nice enough, but I think I'll steer clear until she gets some more mileage under her agent-shoes.

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks -- any updates on this agency or Ali Herring? I got a full request from her for a query I sent in early 2021 (that was unexpected!). Alas my story is a YA Fantasy and I'm not seeing a lot (any?) fantasy clients listed on their website. Largely romance.