Your historical WIP time & place

KaelynMiller

"Bones" + Wednesday Addams = Me
Registered
Reaction score
My first novel takes place in 4th century Dacia and Scythia - modern day Romania and Ukraine.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a historical fantasy erotica set at the beginning of the Tokugawa Shogunate (1607-ish). I'd like to go back to it, but I'll want to do a lot more research, especially if I want to make a long piece; the previous one wasn't even 5,000 words.

Sounds interesting.

Meiji era Japan here. (The middle of Meiji, 1887-88.)

Madame de Plume

Writing my way up the social ladder
Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is set in France and England just after Napoleon was crowned Emperor.

I also have an Antebellum romance set in Savannah, Georgia on the back burner.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I'm working on a scifi horror piece, set in Trinity Bay, Newfoundland in 1955 - it's a bit of a Quatermass / John Wyndham homage.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I'm thinking serious thoughts about moving back into the 18th century--the Revolutionary War, to be exact. I was thinking about Loyalists versus Patriots a few weeks ago and thinking I could form a story out of that. And then along came the new AMC show Turn, stealing my idea (kind of). I can still go ahead with my idea, of course. I have nothing more than "Revolutionary War! wigs! intrigue! tights!"

My other thought is the Salem Witch Trials.

So, obviously, I'm still in between projects...

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
YA fiction, UK Home Counties, June 1994. Does that count as 'historical'?

D.A Watson

Writer of Wrongs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.co.uk
Both my novels jump between the present day and a period in history, the first in the 16th and 17th century mainland Scotland, the last one in the 11th century on the Isle of Lewis

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score

Much as I like benbenberi's response, for publishing purposes... I don't think this would be classed as historical ;)

There is a bit of a grey area, but HF tends to be set 40+ years ago. Stories set in the 70s qualify easily. 80s is getting greyer.... 90s I think is a bit too recent.

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
Hah... that's why I picked it. Was inspired by questions from my 16-year old nephew about the 90's, and the way he spoke it was obvious he imagined it to be almost as long ago as WWII. That and the 90's hasn't really been covered much yet from a retrospective angle.

rosina

multiple layers of thick skin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rosinalippi.com
I wrote a series of six historicals that spanned the period 1792-1825, set in the Adirondacks (mostly) but also Scotland and New Orleans. I'm now working on the first novel of a second, related series. This one is set in Manhattan in 1883, which is a very socially complex (but very interesting) time. The novel is under contract, as is a sequel. I'm about 200,000 words in and expect to be finished in another 50K.

rosina

multiple layers of thick skin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rosinalippi.com
I actually have the whole Homefront series on dvd, I bought it from a fan-site group. The quality isn't very good, but it was so wonderful to watch it again, I didn't really mind. If I can figure out who I bought it from (about five years ago) I'll post that here.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, all you folks with such interesting ideas. I'm new to this board and have a WIP set in Patagonia in 1902. Chile and Argentina can't agree on where their boundary runs in the southern Andes; rather than go to war, they ask the Queen of England to arbitrate. Vicky dies, Edward becomes king as his appointed rep, a famous surveyor of the Royal Engineers, leads a party through the mountains and valleys of Patagonia and makes decisions about where to run the line. A Welsh-speaking village, Trevelin, wants to be Argentine but Chile is making a strong pitch for their valley (the river flows into the Pacific). Fictional chars, a British jr. surveyor, half-Welsh but English in outlook, a colonial schoolmarm, very Welsh.
Projected length, short story at best, 10K word count. Are there publishers who would look at this sort of thing (e-pub or print)?

leocrow

Registered
Reaction score

1994? That's almost pre-internet! For YA I'd say that counts.

That may be the most depressing thing I've read for long (that and a kid saying to me that Jurassic Park is an old movie...). Utterly truthful though; 90s are officially history. I'll weep and mourn for a week ! ...

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
The novel I just finished takes place in the Adirondack mountains in 1894.

Today, I had an idea for another one, but in an artist colony in Missouri during the 1930s.