My shameful confession about Twilight

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
On a slightly unrelated note, what did y'all think of Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver? A lot of people derided it as "Twilight for Team Jacob" but I actually really liked it.

I thought it echoed some good aspects of Twilight--namely, the chilling-but-somehow-also-sexy mood--but with better prose and less creepy moralizing.

Oh, I loved Shiver. There was just something about it - a combination of the relatable, likeable characters (I rooted for werewolf Sam so much, I really wanted him to get his happy ending), a clever and unique way of adapting the werewolf lore, and beautiful writing (although it did get a bit flowery and mentioned wombs etc, but I think if you want beautiful writing from a male POV you're going to have to expect to suspend your disbelief a little).

Plus, I'm never usually a fan of pnr romance because of how the LIs are always super-powerful, super-dangerous, and super-hot - usually controlling, intimidating, and more like 30-yr-old men in their looks and behaviour than 18-yr-old boys.

Sam Roth from Shiver was probably a bit unrealistic with all his leaky womb references and deep thinking, but he was also a refreshing change from the surfeit of domineering bad boy vamps/woves/faeries out there, in that he was sensitive and thoughtful, and had insecurities and flaws and weaknesses like a normal 18-yr-old boy. He was mature in a different way, because he'd had to cope with things no child/teen should cope with, because he knew his life was ending - not because he was 107 years old with a fully mature mind.

But, I'm a hugely biased fangirl! One of the best things about books is how individual they are - how a book can be loved by one person and hated by another. Twilight spoke to people and so did Shiver, but others didn't like those books and preferred something totally different. If we all liked the same books it would be a very boring world! :)

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
I hated Shiver because the science behind the werewolf thing just made no sense to me and also because the mother was SO FREAKING RUDE AND ANNOYING and the dad was so absent. It was just unpleasant to read. I'm always surprised to hear people liked the book. It also seems like it should have been a standalone or two books and not a trilogy. Too many pages where nothing happens except flowery puffery.

Then again, I want Laini Taylor's books to be waaaay shorter too so it's probably a YMMV thing.

valibby

treading water, staying afloat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redsharpiemoments.blogspot.com
but he was also a refreshing change from the surfeit of domineering bad boy vamps/woves/faeries out there, in that he was sensitive and thoughtful, and had insecurities and flaws and weaknesses like a normal 18-yr-old boy. He was mature in a different way, because he'd had to cope with things no child/teen should cope with, because he knew his life was ending - not because he was 107 years old with a fully mature mind.

I haven't read the book, but I kind of want to know with that description of the character. I'm sick of the love interest being a domineering bad boy who does not act like a teenager. And how it's somehow acceptable to have a teenage girl fall hopelessly in love with someone 5 or 6 times her age, no matter how old he looks physically.

Twilight - I was Team Edward because Jacob, while being the safer, more age appropriate choice, was really clingy and demanding and degrading of Bella's choices. For all of Edward's flaws, he didn't do that (more or less). I've just finished Iron King by Julie Kagawa and cannot figure out why the main character is going for the bad boy when her best friend has a better personality, better outlook on life, and is less controlling. Why is that overall less attractive? However, both LIs are way older than she is, and I still don't get that.

kej115

Registered
Reaction score
I can completely relate- I LOVED Edward in the books and hated Jacob. But, once the movie came out and the actor they cast as Edward looked nothing like I had envisioned him, the magic kind of slipped away.

VeggieNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I've wondered about this before, and my question is: do you suppose it's because it breaks the rules of "good" writing?

I read the first Twilight book because my future sister-in-law asked me to. It wasn't my personal cup of tea, but I was able to finish it. Anything beyond the first book is a mystery to me and that's how I would prefer to keep it, but that's my personal taste.

However, that being said, I think the fangirl-friendly nature of the book is due to the many writing "no-no's" that, despite being "wrong", are things many readers will eagerly eat up. Most prominently the OP special snowflake Mary Sue/Gary Stu aspect of some of the characters is something that is often exciting to read about though nearly universally acknowledged as "bad writing". To insert yourself into a story and imagine yourself as the protag as you read and "become" the girl that everyone wants, or the super powerful supernatural being, or the clever and witty international spy, or, or, or - it's part of the joy of reading, and sometimes the more special that character is, the more fun it is. I think everyone waits for and wants that "show off" moment where the MC’s true powers are revealed to everyone who doubted her/him, or s/he gets the unobtainable guy/girl that everyone wants, or the brilliant plan comes to fruition, or, or, or…

Of course, those all-too-familiar tropes may stand just as much chance as hurting your story as helping build a passionate fanbase….just my two cents. :)

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
Twilight totally sucked me in and I was totally in love with Edward. If you can do that people can forgive a lot! :)

Valkyrie

Registered
Reaction score
I read the first Twilight novel in 8th grade. I started reading it, couldn't stop, and stayed up all night. The story carried me away and brought me great happiness. I also recently re-watched the Twilight movies. Yes, the writing is silly and the plot lacking, but it was still fun. Yet while doing so, I found myself tearing the story down because I am/was embarrassed to like it as much as I do/did. But why deprive yourself of something you enjoy because of what others have to say? You can learn something from everything. Twilight shows us what to avoid, and what works. If it hadn't gone commercial, no one would have spent their time ripping it apart. So, in the end, I am a Twihard and proud!

JesFun

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the whole Twilight series, whether it was considered "bad" writing, or not. I'll admit, that sometimes I hate to admit that I liked it as much as I did…including the movies (even with the terrible effects in the first one, Kristin Stewart, etc) But I just got kind of lost in it, and enjoyed the fantasy.
I also liked the 50 Shades series, even though it too, is considered "bad."
Other series that I like that may be similar:
-The House of Night Series by P.C & Kristen Cast
-The Immortals Series by Alyson Noel
-Hush, Hush Series by Becca Fitzpatrick (currently on book 4)

Autumn_Breeze

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I read all the twilight books. Looking back, I can't be sure why. They got worse each book. The two MC's drove me mad. In hindsight, I jumped on a band wagon and read bad writing because everyone else said it was good. I shared that opinion at the time. Thankfully, lots of other people did.

Starrbaby

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably dangerous to admit to a room full of writers . . . but not only did I like Twilight, I also happen to believe that Stephanie Meyers is a damn good storyteller. And there is no amount of Twilight shaming capable of making me change my opinion. Now is she a good writer? I couldn't tell you. I'm still learning myself. :)

Aerogurl

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably dangerous to admit to a room full of writers . . . but not only did I like Twilight, I also happen to believe that Stephanie Meyers is a damn good storyteller. And there is no amount of Twilight shaming capable of making me change my opinion. Now is she a good writer? I couldn't tell you. I'm still learning myself. :)

I've never read Twilight myself, and probably never will thanks to the idea of sparkly vampires. However, I will say that you should never be afraid to say your opinion in front of anyone, not even here. Dissenting ideas and views are what keep life from becoming boring after all. With that said, I think you can be a great storyteller and a horrible writer.

batmantis24

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melaniebergillustrations.carbonmade.com
I read the entire Twilight series, actually, and had a difficult time getting passed the grammar as well as Stephanie Meyer's take on Vampires, particularly the glittering aspect.... Bella seemed like a vessel that I, as the reader, was supposed to be able to place myself in. It was very difficult to find anything about her that I appreciated, as a character.

What I did like, however, was Stephanie's Vampire Clan descriptions and breakdowns. It felt very solid. I also thoroughly enjoyed Jasper Cullen's background. It was the most intriguing one, I think.

I also read Stephanie Meyer's The Host and was quite surprised that I found myself enjoying it. (The movie is terrible, don't waste your time)

The last YA series I geeked out on was Secret Circle by L. J. Smith. I don't read a ton of YA, but when I do it's usually more Non-fiction based and this was perfect for me, since I have an innate love for witches, ghosts, and vampires... also demons... voodoo... horror... yeah, anything supernatural, really. (Watch season 3 of American Horror Story: Coven for a great season about witches... seriously amazing.)

I should read more books to fangirl out to.

CheesecakeMe

Registered
Reaction score

Though I couldn't get past the first book OR movie, I don't hate Twilight and in fact respect the books. They managed to hit their target demographic so perfectly that it started a phenomenon. Most of us wish we could even hit a fraction of that with our stories.

I think everyone has those guilty pleasure stories they love. I had some friends that loved to bash Twilight, but confessed they were into things like daytime soaps or Asian dramas or other (usually romance for whatever reason) stories that weren't "good quality." My own teenage obsession was this Japanese romance comic called "Hana Yori Dango," whose lead love interest was a half step away from being a violent, murderous psychopath. But I loved it.

Aerogurl

Registered
Reaction score
I read the entire Twilight series, actually, and had a difficult time getting passed the grammar as well as Stephanie Meyer's take on Vampires, particularly the glittering aspect.... Bella seemed like a vessel that I, as the reader, was supposed to be able to place myself in. It was very difficult to find anything about her that I appreciated, as a character.

What I did like, however, was Stephanie's Vampire Clan descriptions and breakdowns. It felt very solid. I also thoroughly enjoyed Jasper Cullen's background. It was the most intriguing one, I think.

I also read Stephanie Meyer's The Host and was quite surprised that I found myself enjoying it. (The movie is terrible, don't waste your time)

The last YA series I geeked out on was Secret Circle by L. J. Smith. I don't read a ton of YA, but when I do it's usually more Non-fiction based and this was perfect for me, since I have an innate love for witches, ghosts, and vampires... also demons... voodoo... horror... yeah, anything supernatural, really. (Watch season 3 of American Horror Story: Coven for a great season about witches... seriously amazing.)

I should read more books to fangirl out to.

American Horror Story: Coven was excellent. I was leery of it at first, but after the first episode I found myself coming back week after week to see what would happen next.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm just going to say it, the actual writing style was not bad. It beats about half of the first person present tense dystopian bookshelf. (I'd really rather not be treated like I can't remember anything past 2 seconds ago thanks.)

I only read the sample though.

thejamesramos

I write stuff sometimes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thejamesramos.wordpress.com
I have that reaction whenever I encounter something I really enjoy. And it happens with alarming frequency, to be honest.

I didn't have that when I read Twilight, but I did really like that book, and I was nearly the only person I knew who did.

I also did that with Harry Potter when it first came out, and I'm sort of doing it now with a book I'm reading, so I think it has to do with how much a story resonates with you. That's the only common denominator I could find.