What should you remember when writing YA?

.Fay.

Registered
Reaction score
I've also noticed instances of poor character development, but I think I've seen an equal amount of extraordinary character development in the same genre (and I read a lot of YA). I think the problem might be more that certain sub-genres, like paranormal romance for example, are so popular that pretty much anything is getting published. Does anyone have any thoughts about the sudden increase in 1st person present tense in YA? It seems to be everywhere now, when not too long ago it was almost taboo and never published.

Emily Muyskens

Modern-Day Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilykate.org
Does anyone have any thoughts about the sudden increase in 1st person present tense in YA? It seems to be everywhere now, when not too long ago it was almost taboo and never published.

I've been thinking about that a lot recently too. At first I liked the trend but I've been realizing lately that a majority (definitely not all) of the books I enjoy the most are not in 1st person. I guess I often find 2nd person narration more timeless. But, I'm not taking an opposing stance to 1st person. I've written a couple novels in 1st person. It changes my writing voice drastically - in a good way. Any other thoughts?

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I've also noticed instances of poor character development, but I think I've seen an equal amount of extraordinary character development in the same genre (and I read a lot of YA). I think the problem might be more that certain sub-genres, like paranormal romance for example, are so popular that pretty much anything is getting published. Does anyone have any thoughts about the sudden increase in 1st person present tense in YA? It seems to be everywhere now, when not too long ago it was almost taboo and never published.

I have definitely noticed the trend and at first I was really opposed to it. In fact, I wrote my WIP halfway through in 3rd person, simply because I wanted to be different than the majority of the popular books out there. At that point, I just knew I had tot try 1st person and re-wrote the whole thing. It was definitely the right choice for my book. Maybe young adults identify better with that POV, but I would like to see a mix of POV's in the genre.

.Fay.

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe young adults identify better with that POV, but I would like to see a mix of POV's in the genre.

It seems pretty strange how everything was third and now everything is first. Everything I've written has been in third person omniscient. I'm currently trying out first person and it's pretty difficult for me! I'm used to being able to switch between character POV's and I also find myself deleting sentences that I accidentally wrote in past tense.

Canton

A tethered mind
Registered
Reaction score
It seems pretty strange how everything was third and now everything is first. Everything I've written has been in third person omniscient. I'm currently trying out first person and it's pretty difficult for me! I'm used to being able to switch between character POV's and I also find myself deleting sentences that I accidentally wrote in past tense.

I'm trying first person for the first time in a new YA novel. I definitely like the feel of it.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score

I actually wrote the entire MS in 1st person past tense (after I wrote half in 3rd person past tense), but I found several passages through out that I wrote in 1st person present tense. In the end, I went through and changed the entire 109,000 MS to 1st person present. It was a lot of work, but it cut almost 2000 words and I really liked the flow much better once it was finished. Another round of editing and I'll be ready to query.

tatygirl90

Registered
Reaction score
I would say don't preach. What I mean is don't try to force feed what you think is right because I know as a teen I hated and it turned me off quickly.

Ella Press

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theclockmonkey2.blogspot.com
I have definitely noticed the trend and at first I was really opposed to it. In fact, I wrote my WIP halfway through in 3rd person, simply because I wanted to be different than the majority of the popular books out there. At that point, I just knew I had tot try 1st person and re-wrote the whole thing. It was definitely the right choice for my book. Maybe young adults identify better with that POV, but I would like to see a mix of POV's in the genre.

For me too. I've also noticed this, while writing my book in the 3rd person, past tense. But it just wasn't working for me, and considering the genre I'm writing, I decided to try and see how it would work in the 1st person, present tense.
I liked it, it flowed better, and I kept it. I don't regret it, and I actually now enjoy books in 1st person more than I do those in the 3rd. A thing of the moment, I think.

Riz&Roz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
uckalu.blogspot.com
Remember that the characters are very malleable and flawed. Also, that they are not some high school stereotype. It's easy to make a mary sue here, so draw from your emotions and make sure everyone has conflict/purpose.

Quixcy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleynposton.com
I really enjoy first person present tense, but for my current WIP it feels more authentic in third person past, and it's so weird! I started writing 3rd past, but I've been in a present state of mind for so long I find myself reverting back to first person present when I get really caught up in the moment.

Does that happen to any of y'all?

Jayel

It's not me.
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoy first person present tense, but for my current WIP it feels more authentic in third person past, and it's so weird! I started writing 3rd past, but I've been in a present state of mind for so long I find myself reverting back to first person present when I get really caught up in the moment.

Does that happen to any of y'all?

I'm in the same boat. I love writing in first person present tense, but I think that my current WIP works much better in third person past. So far I haven't found myself reverting back to first person present though. My current WIP is written from a dual perspective this time... I've written from a single perspective for so long that it feels weirder writing from a dual perspective than it does writing in third person past.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
I would say don't preach. What I mean is don't try to force feed what you think is right because I know as a teen I hated and it turned me off quickly.

This. Right. Here.

I had several chapters/parts in my MS that were meant to show "typical" teen behavior (drinking, sex) in a way that wasn't preachy but showed my MC not participating and how she felt about it. I ended up cutting/changing all of it because no matter what I did it just sounded like an adult trying to connect with teens and failing miserably. I think authors have a responsibility not to glorify "bad" behavior, but if we are trying to write reality or close to it, we may include these things.

miss marisa

Registered
Reaction score
I've been considering something. Perhaps write a YA book like you would an adult novel, just with younger characters.

This is very, very important.

Also: Don't preach to the reader, no, but also don't let problematic things slip by without commentary. By this, I especially mean slut-shaming (even though I dislike that terminology) and girl-on-girl crime. If your main character or another character does something problematic, have them be called out for it.

Again, don't preach it. But address it.

CosmicLibrary

Registered
Reaction score
1. They're people. And like people of anhy other age, they don't all think the same way of like the same things, even if it sometimes seems like they do. (Check the "What were you reading as a teen" thread for corroboration.

2. This is an age when many (not all) people are doing their thinking. Some (too many) people stop thinking as they become adults - reach conclusions and never question them again. But for a while there, many are more open to thinking about the big existential questions, the "Why are we all here" sort of stuff, and so YA authors (most especially in fantasy and SF, but other genres too) can get away with the sort of good vs evil or finding your place in the universe plots that writers of adult fiction are too often scared to try (or their readers are). Look at anyone from CS Lewis to JK Rowling to Scott Westerfield - characters change their world or take on major battles to save it all the while trying to find a place within that world.

(Can you tell I love a lot of YA still?)

Yes! Well said! This is exactly what I think of that distinguishes YA. It is a time when people are constructing their worldview and to me that is so fascinating. They may change their mind about things as they go through life, but this is the first time in someone's life when they are asking the big questions and trying to piece together why good and bad things happen.

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
Quite right. Remembering rather cringe-worthy memories of myself aged 17 having oh-so-earnest conversations about such things with my friends.

My own possible-pearl of wisdom is this - don't try to make a super-cool, super-popular teen Mary Sue just for the sake of it. Unless you're 100% on the ball with current teen everything (which I bet you ain't), it will come over to teenagers as sad as drunken Dad dancing at a family party. And they will spot it - just how remember how bloody perceptive teens were when you were one.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
So an existential YA novel wouldn't be out of the question then? This is something I've always wanted to do. The more I find it, writing for teens seems trickier than writing MG or Adult even.

Last edited:

natpenna

Registered
Reaction score
I think one of the best things about writing in Young Adult is that you can make things just as fun and imaginative as a children's book but with the advantage of writing this for an older audience. That being said, while you should keep in mind your target audience, don't let it totally restrict and constrain your story. If it looks like the plot needs to go in a certain direction to continue, let it do just that and trust in it rather than worrying about your readership so early on in the writing process.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Sort of like a cynical and melancholic children's book. Just with a less campy or goofy plot structure and characters.

And if your going for edgy as well. (It can be dark without being edgy.)

thejamesramos

I write stuff sometimes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thejamesramos.wordpress.com
A few things I would suggest:

1. As previously pointed out, read as much YA as you can get. As you become more familiar with the conventions of the genre, you'll be able to find books that are closer tonally and thematically with what you might want to write. Once that happens you can read more of those, to get a feel for what readers in that particular type want in their stories.

2. Remember that there isn't all that much different between YA and adult. As far as themes and such, there is a wide variety to choose from, and they don't have to be coming-of-age or romance triangle type stories, either. More and more young people are reading, and the stories are becoming much more sophisticated and complex.

3. Keep in mind what makes the story YA in the first place. The protagonist must be a young adult. There's plenty of age range in that group, but if they are not a young adult, then the book probably won't be considered YA either.

Hope I said something useful, and good luck :)

noraline

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's been mentioned before but I love writing YA because it is basically limbo-- you are not a child, and you are not an adult. Most of what I've read always has somewhat to do with 'coming of age', a favorite of mine. I just love writing about young people finding--or being alright with not quite finding--themselves, in a variety of situations: contemporary, fantasy, etc.

BookmarkUnicorn

does believe in fairies
Registered
Reaction score
I think the 'don't talk down to teens' advice is really good, but I also think there is something to be said for making sure you're still writing them as teens. I've seen some books that make every main character very logical and sound like they are adults well into their twenties at sixteen. Sure, there are super thoughtful teens, of course but there are just as many goofy/cheerful/and shortsighted ones as well.

lilmerlin

We are many - and get along fine!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gruy.biz
DonnaDuck and others who see there MCs around 13 or 14 - so what age group are you targeting then if the MC is supposed to be three years older than the reader who in that case would be - 10? My MC is 14 too and I imagine readers 12up - but prob not further than - 14/15? But then who knows adults may like it too. Gee I wish AGENTS would like it though ;)