Historical Genre Success Stories!

Tom from UK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomwilliamsauthor.co.uk
"His Majesty's Confidential Agent" will be published by Accent Press on 8 May. It's a departure for me, in that it isn't quite so angst-ridden as the previous two. Instead it's a more conventional tale of spying and derring-do, set largely around the British invasion of Argentina in 1806. People travelled more in those days than we tend to think now, so the book also follows our (real-life) hero to Spain and Haiti.

It's fun (and surprisingly historically accurate). I'll probably be posting more about it over the next few weeks.

readmikenow

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished a book proposal for a book about women who served during World War II. Most of the events are taken from newspaper accounts of events. I also included some scenes from women I interviewed. This is the first book of this type I've ever written. In the book I provide imaginary dialogue from actual people and situations that are fictional. It is all intertwined with facts. How do I explain this to an agent? Is it a non-fiction novel? Do I say most of this is fact except for the portions I created? What will an agent want to know about such an historical book?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
"His Majesty's Confidential Agent" will be published by Accent Press on 8 May. It's a departure for me, in that it isn't quite so angst-ridden as the previous two. Instead it's a more conventional tale of spying and derring-do, set largely around the British invasion of Argentina in 1806. People travelled more in those days than we tend to think now, so the book also follows our (real-life) hero to Spain and Haiti.

It's fun (and surprisingly historically accurate). I'll probably be posting more about it over the next few weeks.

That's great stuff, Tom! Do you know if it'll be available in the US at any point . . . ?

Tom from UK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomwilliamsauthor.co.uk
"His Majesty's Confidential Agent" is now officially published. The Kindle is being sold ludicrously cheaply in both the UK and (as of today) in the US. The paperback is priced at the other end of the scale. At a hefty 325 pages, it ain't cheap and, to make matters worse for US readers, it is only distributed from the UK, so it costs rather a lot. The paperback is much prettier than the Kindle but I am encouraging people to buy the e-book while it's at a silly price (77p in the UK).

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
I didn't even notice this thread until just now.

Anyways, in late January, I (along with eight other talented authors) sold a WWI anthology to Harper Collins, and last month, I accepted representation for my WWI romance! It's been a long, often despairing struggle to reach this point in my career, so I am very grateful and quite humbled.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Congrats, Evangeline!! Jessica Brockmole (PastMidnight here) is one of the other authors in the same anthology, so you're in excellent AW company there :)

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Congrats, Evangaline!

I have finished the rewrite on the first novel in my trilogy of historical fantasy. The publisher liked it and suggested some changes, and I've done those and more, and just awaiting the last chapter from my last beta before resubmitting.

I've finished a great rewrite on the second novel of the trilogy, and will be working on the rewrite of the third novel this week.

Then I can let myself start on the fourth novel (not in the series) that I had the idea for last month. I'm project oriented :)

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score