• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sourlane Press

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Unfortunately, Sourlane Press cannot pay contributors for this anthology. We plan on being able to do so with our next anthology. Previously published writers, of course, will be invited to submit.
Um. They plan on making money from this venture, right? And they're going to do that from authors willing to write for free? Where's the upside for the authors?

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Um. They plan on making money from this venture, right? And they're going to do that from authors willing to write for free? Where's the upside for the authors?

Exposure, apparently.

(Just finished reading the HuffPo suit. Wow.)

Coming out of snark mode, I'm not seeing anything on their site about who they are or what experience they have in the business. It doesn't exactly instill confidence. They may be well-intentioned, but I'm giving this one a pass.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net

I am not saying this is the same thing, or endorsing writing for free, but I on occasion will write for free. If there is a cause I believe in and I feel the need to express my point of view for the benefit of the whole, I will. Sometimes, I am even surprised with a small honorarium. Sometimes, and I like this best, I get a hug from a person who appreciates the momentary gesture. This is what paying back to the community is about.

And I have to say that I know Priceless does this. I read her blog religiously. (yes, she is her own religion).

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not big on writing for free to line the pockets of someone else. That just doesn't seem right in my opinion.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
That's fine if authors want to write for free - it's not a personal decision I'd make, but to each his own, right? But if one is writing for exposure, then it's wise to choose an endeavor that will achieve that goal. A brand new start up - whose experience is still a mystery - doesn't appear to fit that bill. Just sayin'...

I read her blog religiously. (yes, she is her own religion).
Allen, if I'm my own religion, then you may expect to see the collection plate passing under your nose real soon. Ooo...does that make me vanity? Gah.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Sourlane Website:
Sourlane Press is an upstart publisher with plans to release three to four anthologies annually.

I think you mean start-up, not upstart. "Upstart" suggests something entirely different.

Sourlane Website:
The first anthology is titled Splatter: An Anthology of Horror and is set to be released at the beginning of May. The anthology will be available on major websites, including Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble's website. We are seeking an additional 10 to 12 stories for the anthology.

It's the middle of April. You're planning to launch the anthology in May and you're still 10 - 12 stories short. That leaves Sourlane with no opportunity for proper editing and certainly no time for doing any meaningful promotion.

Sourlane Website:
The cover design is temporary; we have professional designers working on the layout at the moment and it will be finalized in the coming weeks.

Again, you're not leaving a lot of time to get that done properly.

Sourlane Website:
Unfortunately, Sourlane Press cannot pay contributors for this anthology. We plan on being able to do so with our next anthology. Previously published writers, of course, will be invited to submit.

I don't necessarily have a problem with writers working for free, but they should at least get contributor's copies for free. The way this is phrased seems to suggest that Sourlane is planning to keep all the upside (if any) from sales (and I would suggest that it'll be the contributors who do most of the marketing and selling of copies) so that some other writers may, perhaps, possibly, get paid for a future anthology of which there no current details are provided.

Again, not a professional way of doing things.

All this and it's a one-page website with no details about who's editing the anthology, how much it's planning to sell for, who runs the publisher etc etc.

In conclusion, not something I'd want to send my horror story to.

MM

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone; nothing else published.