• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Seleer Press / Editorial Seleer

eljayvee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucaveste.com
Hello!

Long time lurker - first time poster.

Enquiring on behalf of a family member (I am a traditionally published author personally, with a HarperCollins imprint in the UK) about an approach that was made to her on Twitter. The account is called Seleer Press which led to finding a website titled EditorialSeleer . They seem to be approaching a number of new writers and offering publishing services.

I've had a quick search on here, as I usually do when asked about unknown publishers, but couldn't find anything with this name. Was hoping the great minds here could provide a bit more info for me to pass on.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a look at the Seeler Press website and am not at all keen on what I've seen there.

First up: it's almost nonsensical. Either it's been written by someone who doesn't speak English very well, or it's been translated into English by someone without a real understanding of the language. It's kind of important for a publisher to be fluent in the language they're publishing in, don't you think?

The focus of the site isn't on selling books to readers, which is how trade publishers make their money; it's on persuading writers to publish with them, which makes me think this is a pay-to-play operation.

From its "services" page:

We send press notes for your signings and we promote your work by means of social networks.

We publish on paper, ebook and kindle.

E-books and kindle versions, eh?

Without neither financing nor co-editing your work. We just need you to sell a minimum of copies in the first signing. You have a week to sell them.

I'm not entirely sure what all of that means, but it does say that they expect you to sell a minimum number of copies at your first signing, and you have a week to make that happen. I suspect that if you don't make the required number of sales you'll have to pay them something.

We manage signings by calling your town council in order to assign us a civic or cultural center.

That's a promotional method I've never heard of before: I doubt its effectiveness.

Very important: Seleer Press does not correct your texts. Despite we will look carefully into it, you should send it to us corrected. Thus, we avoid future conflicts for the good of all. Thank you so much.

Having read their website I am very glad they don't correct anyone's texts.

The Press page is very informative:

In publishing Seleer no upfront expense type, we will not ask for money To provide you with your local council presenting your work, not give you the congratulations and ask thousands of euros for publishing his book, and nor will ask to provide you money for book signings at fnac, English court, book house. We firmly believe in the works of our authors and we try to have the same opportunities that an acclaimed author, because our works are also valid.

It is with this philosophy of work publishing Seleer shown to you, in order to work together his work and has the best shop possible.

No finance their work, nor coeditarla, without having to pay an economic plus for any management, with the only requirement that once our reading department has given approval for publication in the presentation of his work is sold a minimum of books, taking a week to it.

Here you will not find fancy words that in the end all that will result in thousands of euros asked in advance for publishing your book, you will find the publication of his work and management of his career as a writer without asking anything in advance, clear and direct.

Again, there's that mention of a minimum sales requirement and a week to make those sales. I'd like to know what happens if those sales aren't made within that week.

This is one of the best things I've ever read on a publisher's website:

Editorial Seleer and published in Latin America. We publish American authors from any country and let their works in libraries deposit their respective cities. besides selling his book in our online store and amazon.es in Spain and all with our philosophy that distinguishes us without the author having to pay anything up front, or finance, or co-edit his work, so only requires a sales Pussycat in the presentation.

If a writer likes having a sales Pussycat in their presentations, this is probably the publisher for them. If they'd prefer to work with a competent, experienced publisher who will publish their books professionally and sell many copies, then they would be wise to avoid Seeler Press.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
I notice in the last quote something about the author not having to pay anything up front, which strongly implies that they charge at the back-end.

Although, its probably risky to infer anything from text that seems to have been run through Google translate two or three times.

eljayvee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucaveste.com
I'm not entirely sure what all of that means, but it does say that they expect you to sell a minimum number of copies at your first signing, and you have a week to make that happen. I suspect that if you don't make the required number of sales you'll have to pay them something.

I asked directly (via Twitter) if authors would be charged for unsold books after the first week. The response (in full) was...

"We help to sell all the copies until they are completely sold. We design posters to promote books."

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I asked directly (via Twitter) if authors would be charged for unsold books after the first week. The response (in full) was...

"We help to sell all the copies until they are completely sold. We design posters to promote books."

Ahaha. No. I think this is one to cross off your list.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, Torgo. No matter how much I want that sales Pussycat.

LindaJeanne

Registered
Reaction score
What the heck is a sales Pussycat? Is that a mascot they drag around to help launch books? Or is that just....I don't understand what that means, seriously.

I'm guessing it's a weird mechanical translation glitch.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Further services:

In addition we will arrange book signings in supermarkets above in order that their work has a chance and place within the world of literature.

Pfft. Until their authors discuss a book signing in a morgue or a funeral home, PublishAmerica still has them beat when it comes to unusual locations.

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
Sales Pussycat = best marketing strategy ever. Haven't you heard? Internet is cats.

Anyway, yeah... I'm gonna reiterate what others have sad... definite no.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SalezPussycat.jpg

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, who am I to argue with Sales Pussycat? I have an official Tampa Bay Rays DJ Kitty snowglobe I shake for every TV game :D.

LindaJeanne

Registered
Reaction score
I was under the impression that Old Hack's avatar is the Sales Pussycat.
Well, now we know what happens to authors who don't meet their one week sales quota.

Edit to restore lost context: back when this conversation happened, Old Hack's avatar was an animated gif of a cat firing a machine gun.)

Last edited:

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite part was how they publish "Americans from all countries."

And, they let their works in libraries deposit their respective cities! WHOLE cities, deposited in the libraries by their authors' magical sparkle-works. That is awesome.

SalezPussycatUni.jpg

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
My avatar is the sales Pussycat! Look deep in its eyes—doesn't that make you want to buy my books? (I'm wondering if there might be a promotion Poodle and a marketing Monkey lurking about.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
There are lots of countries in North and South America. I think I know what they're getting at with "Americans from all countries." Doesn't matter to them if you're from Argentina or Canada or anywhere in between.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of countries in North and South America. I think I know what they're getting at with "Americans from all countries." Doesn't matter to them if you're from Argentina or Canada or anywhere in between.
Good point. In Spanish we learned a specific word for Americans from the United States: estadounidenses (which would basically equate to United Statesians). They count everyone from the New World as American.

Last edited: