Things that don't belong in Pre-Columbian Europe...

Nikweikel

Registered
Reaction score
...but always seem to find their way into novels anyway.

1) Tomatoes.
2) Potatoes.
3) Hummingbirds.
4) Chocolates.
5) Cinderella carriages.
6) Birthday parties/birthday presents.
7) White wedding dresses.
8) Pockets in clothing.
9) Telescopes.
10) Platinum

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Seems an odd way to mark it but what the hey. I didn't know telescopes were invented in South America.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
And white wedding dresses started here when Queen Victoria wore one. I don't know about anywhere else.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
...but always seem to find their way into novels anyway.

1) Tomatoes.
2) Potatoes.
3) Hummingbirds.
4) Chocolates.
5) Cinderella carriages.
6) Birthday parties/birthday presents.
7) White wedding dresses.
8) Pockets in clothing.
9) Telescopes.
10) Platinum

Hummingbirds? I can safely say I've never seen them turn up in Historical Europe in a novel.

Nikweikel

Registered
Reaction score
I picked it simply because a lot of stuff was introduced into Europe at that time: tomatoes, chocolate, coffee, tabacco, pineapples, etc...that you can be certain didn't exist before then.

Really, I just wanted to start a simple thread on anachronisms but with so many settings, and so many anachronisms, it would get unwieldy pretty quickly.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The thing is though.... these anachronisms are pretty well known and you don't see them that often in historical fiction. In films maybe cos ... you know... not all studios do their research. But in books not so much.

Nikweikel

Registered
Reaction score
The thing is though.... these anachronisms are pretty well known and you don't see them that often in historical fiction. In films maybe cos ... you know... not all studios do their research. But in books not so much.

I must be reading the wrong books then, because I see these all the time.

Nikweikel

Registered
Reaction score
:)

Dreck that's more commercially popular than it should be, I'm afraid. I would list titles, but I don't believe in giving free publicity to authors who are probably using Disney cartoons for their research.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I picked it simply because a lot of stuff was introduced into Europe at that time: tomatoes, chocolate, coffee, tabacco, pineapples, etc...that you can be certain didn't exist before then.

Coffee is the odd one out in this list because it wouldn't have been in the pre-Columbian Americas, but some Europeans might have been familiar with it.

GHO57

Registered
Reaction score
Oranges; the sweet kind. Oranges would be rare in general back in those days, and the ones you could find would taste more like lemons.

Corn. Native to americas.

Last edited:

Nikweikel

Registered
Reaction score
I was dragged right out of an otherwise splendid story set during the American Civil War by a reference to the 'gene pool'. No. Just no.

LOL. I got pulled out of a novel where Da Vinci was wearing a wristwatch. (He claimed he'd just invented it... but still...)

I was told that the first wristwatch was created for a female cousin of Napoleon's. She hosted a lot of dinners and she wanted a way to check the time even when she had something in both hands.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score

Really, I just wanted to start a simple thread on anachronisms but with so many settings, and so many anachronisms, it would get unwieldy pretty quickly.

Didn't the Romans bring Tomatoes with them when they settled/conquered Britain?

As to tobacco, I think it depends on how the writers are defining tobacco as many things were smoked...

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Didn't the Romans bring Tomatoes with them when they settled/conquered Britain?

As to tobacco, I think it depends on how the writers are defining tobacco as many things were smoked...

Tomatoes are South American, so it's unlikely! The word tobacco is from the Caribbean, so it would be anachronistic to use it even for something other than the Neotropical plant.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

There are other anachronisms too. The one that threw me was the reference to a lady in South America going to collect peacock feathers for indigenous capes. Peacocks are Indian.

Yeah, thothgard, I hate to tell you, but there was no tomato sauce anywhere on the Italian peninsula pre-Columbus.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal