YA Forum Quick Update (wip,submissions etc)

Lapillus

Procrastinatin'
Registered
Reaction score
What a great way to keep track of everyone!

I have a rather large handful of projects I play with. I'm having committal issues at the moment. Hopefully I'll grab something by the reigns soon and see it through the end.

Best wishes everyone!

Last edited:

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh this is cool! I'm not officially a Random Musings gal, but I'll post here all the same.

WIP:
Onion Skin: After being dumped by her best friend for no reason, and being constantly criticized by her mother, Juliette Stanley has no one to turn to and dives headfirst into a long string of summer flings with boys she meets at her work. As junior year begins, she's desperate for someone to accept and understand her, and she pursues a relationship with a boy who makes her trade the physical for the emotional. (Approx. 8k, but I'm rewriting the first chapter with some new developments.)
--Regular YA, heavy on the sarcasm, will be heavy on the sex.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I'm officially represented by Jenoyne Adams at Bliss Literary :D

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm two-thirds through revisions of A REAL FIRST KISS, a story about a hopelessly romantic sophomore trying to get the perfect first kiss before she has to put her lips to action on stage. When I'm done, I'll be sending it to my agent, and soon after that it should be going off to another round of publishers!

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
My manuscript If It Ain't Broke is currently out with eighteen editors. Wish me luck...

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Updated 3/15

Querying:

AFTRLYF: Urban fantasy, adult - Angel of Death, Tia, must figure out who's been killing Angels (and how) and humans connected to her before they come after her and her family.

DownLoad: YA, soft sci fi - DL is an emotionally-numb cyborg who is ordered to kill a teenager, but ends up trying to save her to find out her secrets, including why she can't see him

Betaing/Editing:

HEVN SNT: Urban fantasy, adult - Sequel to AFTRLYF, in which Tia must battle some demons, metaphorical and literal. I say that AFTRLYF is where I broke her, and HS is where I fixed her.

Writing:

Love Sucks: YA contemporary fantasy about a girl who drains love with her touch... and then falls in love herself

Fairytale-ish: YA, contemporary with fantasy elements - Cindy says it's not a fairytale, but even she can't deny that her life begins to loosely resemble one after she buys a pair of sparkly "magic" shoes. Her friends' similarities to Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Rapunzel are not helping her claim.

Plotting:

DyNamic: YA soft sci-fi - Sequel to DownLoad featuring DL's brother Dean.

Last edited:

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
Here's where I'm at:

Published:

Out of Order (2007)
Impossible Things (2008)
Big Guy (2008)
Dead In the Water (2008)

Submitted:
Inferno (cross your fingers for me...)

Re-writing and Revising and Re-writing and Revising and...yeah:
Things You Can Count On
Red Sky in the Morning

~grace~

the good old days
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I've totally missed the existence of this thread. BUT HERE I AM, LATE TO THE PARTY BUT ALREADY WEARING A LAMPSHADE!!!

Working on...

Beyond Yesterday--the story of a 17-year-old mass-murdering telepath and the 13-year-old girl prodigy telepath being forced read his mind/collect his memories for scientific research.

Straight on 'til Morning--a daughter of the political/social elite gets kidnapped by her fiance and his friend--except they don't know she's a wizard--except she doesn't know she's actually a star--chaos ensues.

the third on in my sig is pretty much dead. should probably delete it...

Last edited:

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
heh. I keep seeing it, thinking I should post, and then deciding I'm not real-writer enough to be here.

Who knows when I'll ever give myself permission.

I think I have Dreamer's "give me outside validation or I'll die" thingy.

Dreamer3702

a real life cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my update (so I can responde to Nak's post).

PUBLISHED:
One day.

ON SUB TO PUBLISHER:
The Adventures of Davy Wishbone: The Sword of Emiza --- 3rd person limited; MG; book 1 of 7

SENT TO AGENT
The Super-Scary Werewolf and the Handsome Prince --- my first picture book ever and I love it

WRITING:
Deanli and Toad Boy --- 1st person switching POVs; MG
The Fireflies --- 1st person switching POVs; my first YA!!! <3 <3 <3

ON THE BACK BURNER / PLOTTING
The Adventures of Davy Wishbone: When Swinephants Fly --- 3rd person limited; MG; book 2 of 7
Untitled --- 1st person; Chapter Book; trilogy (I think); about a girl named Red and a mini-pig

heh. I keep seeing it, thinking I should post, and then deciding I'm not real-writer enough to be here.

Who knows when I'll ever give myself permission.

I think I have Dreamer's "give me outside validation or I'll die" thingy.

The validation thing is evil and apparently catching. Sorry.

You are a real writer! You have perhapes the most awesome agent ever etc.... so POST AWAY! I expect updates in the future. No more of this I'm not a real writer nonsense.

That is all.

Oh and please ignore my spelling. No spell check on this computer. :(

~grace~

the good old days
Registered
Reaction score
ha! I laugh at your "format." HAHAHA

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i'll play!

i've nothing published.

my first novel SPIRIT BOUND is on
sub through my agent.

i'm currently writing NOTHING. i have
a sequel in mind and have some books
for research for the sequel.

Dreamer3702

a real life cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
yay! I r realz writter nao

HAHAHAH

Grace, you have to at least pretend like you're updating and then do your witty comments.

UPDATE!

I am currently seaking validation for THE FIREFLIES! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF... BOB or whoever... PM ME AND ASK TO READ WHAT I HAVE DONE.

that is all

See what I mean, grace?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Published - nuttin'

Submitted to Agents - The Memory Box, converted from mainstream to YA based on agent's suggestion. The conversion was a major success.

In Progress - The Centerpoint, which is not a YA story but may become one because that seems to be my natural voice.

I'm considering a sequel to The Memory Box, but just doodling at this point.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
So Little Cities is on submission right now. Stats are in my sig. I'm switching between writing CORP and editing Blue.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Update for me: If It Ain't Broke, These Humans, and Birthday Cake are currently hanging out with my agent. I'm writing Bring Home the Bacon still as well as A La Mode, which is a sequel to Birthday Cake. I'm also working on Birthday Cake edits and crossing my fingers for a deal for If It Ain't Broke. Sublime is coming out in paperback in September.

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
Here's where I'm at:

Published:

Out of Order (2007)
Impossible Things (2008)
Big Guy (2008)
Dead In the Water (2008)

Submitted:
Inferno (cross your fingers for me...)

Re-writing and Revising and Re-writing and Revising and...yeah:
Things You Can Count On
Red Sky in the Morning

Update. I'm still rewriting and revising the same two manuscripts-- only now they are both untitled. This does seem like a step backwards. But.... drumroll! I just signed a contract for Inferno! Woohoo! Spring 2009.

And looking at the above old post, I realize I forgot one: A Thousand Shades of Blue, coming out this fall with Orca. I just got the cover and it is soooo gorgeous. Yay!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
UPDATE : sold my debut novel and unwritten
sequel along with a childrens picture book.

currently working on the chapter illustrations
for spirit bound while waiting for my editor's
revision letter.

brainstorming for the sequel and the childrens
picture book.

also just wrote a short blurb for unwritten sequel
yesterday for agent bill to help pitch to publishers
abroad. turned in a 100 word author bio as well.

sharpierae

the UnID
Registered
Reaction score
I’m always so secretive about what I’m working on. I guess it’s time to fess up.

ON SUB TO AGENTS:

GAME OVER... Contemporary YA with fun near-future dystopian elements. Kid gets involved with an anonymous group of pranksters who use not-so-harmless anti-publicity stunts to disrupt her corporate-sponsored high school, and finds her own way to separate herself from the mob in a place where all forms of youthful revolt just get turned into another hip new ad campaign.

WRITING:

MUDLEVEL... Contemporary after-the-apocalypse YA. Starlee Sanders is a feisty 17-year-old living in the mud and trash left behind after a worldwide storm drop kicks human civilization back three million years. After the darkness of a two month long downpour, her hopes of studying engineering at MIT get washed away, leaving behind only problems of what to do with her 11-year-old sister, how to turn down the affections of nearly literally “the last guy on Earth”, and how to feel about the baby growing in her ladyparts when the future is so uncertain.

GETTING CAUGHT! Non-fiction retellings of European graffiti writers’ stories of doing stupid things, getting chased by cops, and getting away with it.

(and then I have other WIPs that I'm pretending don't exist so I can focus on those above.)

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
Writing: Revising my current girl lit (what I like to call YA chick lit)/mainstream novel on request of agents. Tightpants, the story of a radio dj who "accidently" falls for the local rockstar. She thinks he's arrogant, sexist, and sleeps with groupies. Then she finds out how wrong she is.

Submitting: Same; first 20 pages + synopsis to one, and first 50 pages to other. I realized how much I need to revise when writing my synopsis, so I am revising some this week and will submit first 20 pages at the end of the week.

Brainstorming: All my novels will have the common thread of music interest running through them. I've been thinking a long time about writing a story about a groupie, and what it's like to see it from her eyes.

Last edited:

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Update: Sold If It Ain't Broke to Simon Pulse for a 2009 release, finishing edits on Birthday Cake. Just finished the first draft of A La Mode, the sequel to Birthday Cake. Currently brainstorming for a new WIP.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Update: E.L.F is being beted, working on some generic projects in the interim. Project 1: Ghost in the Machine (daughter of the MCs in E.L.F goes about town, painting it with spray cans). Project 2: Bible 2.0 (Atheist re-write the Bible. His guardian Angel gets mad) and Project 3: UNNAMED WIP