So what's for dinner?

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
The Thanksgiving turkey bones, which have been patiently waiting in the freezer, have been divided between my 8-quart and 6-quart pressure cookers where they are resting atop a bed of the Four Aromatics: onion, garlic, carrots, celery and just submerged in water. After 45 minutes under pressure and a natural pressure drop, I'll strain the broth. Two quarts will be reheated with a can of San Marzano plum tomatoes, pureed and then joined with a pound of cooked extra wide egg noodles and sliced hot turkey Italian sausage.

Darn. Drooling on the keys again.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chile rellenos, my way. First I layer some raw potato slices (usually red skin) in the bottom of a baking dish. Then the chiles (anaheim) which have been roasted, peeled and seeded and stuffed with cheeses. Sprinkle liberally with chopped raw onion. Cover with beaten eggs (I use egg beaters cause of hubby). More shredded cheese. And bake. When the eggs are set, about 45 minutes at 350 degrees, it's done. Tonight it will be served with bacon done in the oven and toast.

As has been discussed before, bacon done in the oven is a wondrous thing. It stays flat, doesn't need to be turned, doesn't splatter, and you don't have to stand and watch it. We like ours crisp, so about 20 minutes during the last of the egg cooking. I use thick cut bacon. The thin stuff would cook faster.

MM

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pizza. Sans anything remotely related to Thanksgiving and gobbling turkeys!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
The Thanksgiving turkey bones, which have been patiently waiting in the freezer, have been divided between my 8-quart and 6-quart pressure cookers where they are resting atop a bed of the Four Aromatics: onion, garlic, carrots, celery and just submerged in water. After 45 minutes under pressure and a natural pressure drop, I'll strain the broth. Two quarts will be reheated with a can of San Marzano plum tomatoes, pureed and then joined with a pound of cooked extra wide egg noodles and sliced hot turkey Italian sausage.

Darn. Drooling on the keys again.
Joe, what would be different if you had to do that without a pressure cooker?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I made black bean and spinach burritos, topped with avocado, tomato, and jalapenos.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
It's Sunday, we're in the Uk, it's a roast

In this case beef (half price, result!), in the slow cooker. With roast potatoes, Yorkshires etc, as would not be roast without, and my daughter would moan something chronic :D

PS instead of pressure cooker, I cook up bones overnight in slow cooker. Gives great stock.

Last edited:

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Turkey Stock, Take Two: Sausage and Split Pea Soup with Brown Rice

4 cups of stock, 8 cups of water, a pound of split peas, a cup of long grain brown rice, 4 links of smoked sausage cut into quarter-circles, an envelope of onion soup mix, a tablespoon of seasoned salt, 2 tablespoons of garlic powder, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a level teaspoon of ground black pepper stirred briskly together for 3 minutes in an 8-quart pressure cooker. 15 minutes of pressure and a natural pressure drop later, it'll be stirred for another 2 minutes before serving.

Although there's no butter in the recipe, the flavor has a note of butter in the finish.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
One of our go-to dinners tonight: salmon filets with a little lemon pepper, cooked on low-medium in covered pan; white basmati rice; steamed asparagus; green salad for starters; wine. Dunno what wine -- many on hand to choose from. Probably red, which contrary to what some think, goes well with a fatty fish like salmon. But we have a distinctive South African white open in the fridge . . .

--Ken

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Sugar cookies. With Chocolate Chip cookies for dessert.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Marie Callender frozen pot pies. Choice of chicken or beef. Nothing else. There. I said it.

Last edited:

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Fruitbat, I think I love you. Sometimes I spend hours in the kitchen hand making tortillas for homemade enchiladas, and sometimes I eat Chef Boyardee. And I like it. Tonight I am going all out and opening up a package of the fancy refrigerated pesto sauce to pour on some fancy shaped pasta I got on the clearance aisle, and I am serving it with Kroger brand shredded Parmesan and the Safeway select french bread. And I'm planning to like it.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Made Korean fried chicken and French fries on the first night of Hannukah -- the oiliest meal my girlfriend will eat.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Sugar cookies. With Chocolate Chip cookies for dessert.
That was similar to my dinner last night! :) The guys here polished off the leftover pasta and pulled pork while I dug into cookies and candy.

Tonight--Italian Wedding soup and some kind of homemade bread. Maybe honey wheat. Yeah, tonight I'm eating healthier foods.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Every year a friend has a sugar cookie decorating party. He bakes dozens of cookies and we have to decorate them and take at least half the ones we decorate home (poor us!). He also makes amazing food to eat all afternoon. He’s they guy with the “Heat heavy cream. Melt Ibarra chocolate in it until the spoon stands up.” Recipe for hot chocolate. THIS is what crock pots are made for!

Then we made chocolate chip cookies because I always take a bunch of home made cookies to my aunt for Christmas. There’s no ROOM for dinner after that. ;)

Tonight is Coronation Chicken over rice if we have energy for it. My wife got called into work today so we might just go out.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I have no idea, except that it will be something with chicken.

MM

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
My son is home from university where apparently the food is terrible - he sometimes text me pictures with captions that range from WTF?? to "Oh God NO!" The last pic I received I assumed was some sort of pot pie, but looked to be frozen mixed veggies tossed in a creamed, dryer lint grey gelatinous sauce. Since I'm so happy to see him I've been spoiling him a bit and cooking special dinners every night for him. Tonight's entrée is maple mustard glazed salmon, lemon rice, a romaine salad with cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, mandarin oranges, sunflower seeds tossed in an onion poppy seed dressing. For desert, vanilla ice cream with home made chocolate sauce and/or home made caramel fudge.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Have a standing rib roast resting right now while I bake up a Yorkshire pudding! *crosses fingers*

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Right now I have no idea, except that it will be something with chicken.

MM
Easy chicken dinner (though I'm a day late):

Dump chicken parts in fry pan. Brown on all sides. Dump french onion soup (concentrate is best) over all. Lower heat to a simmer. Cook for about an hour.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last night turned out to be stir fry. Frozen pepper strips and sugar snap peas are wondrous things. I've done the onion soup one before too.

Tonight is what my mother called boo-fay. Assorted leftovers, none of which are enough for both of us.

MM