So what's for dinner?

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
A leg of lamb? That always reminds me of the short story...don't know by who...where the lady kills her hubby with a frozen leg of lamb, then cooks it, and the cops eat the meat while looking for the murder weapon.

I loved that story. Wish I could remember who wrote it.

Anyway...we are having frozen glop (frozen breaded chicken parmasean in some kind of a watery tomato sauce) because the youngest wants it. Yetch. Anyone feel like sharing?

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Jamaican patties. You guys ever had them? They're kind of a curry turnover type of thing, except the pastry is somehow orange. Probably everyone in the world but me has been eating them for years, but I just heard of them a couple weeks ago. I hope they're nutritionally complete, because that's been breakfast, lunch and dinner since about May 1. As supermarket freezer food goes, it's pretty damn good.

If we have any Jamaican posters who are willing to share a secret grandma recipe for them, I will hose you down with rep points.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Scrambled eggs with ham and cheese and a couple frozen sausage patties. Because I can cook it less than 10 minutes. I'm always starving after night class (go in at 530 and get done at 10p).

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Warm white bean salad topped with rosemary bread crumbs. The How to Eat Supper cookbook from the NPR Splendid Table people was worth it just for that recipe alone.

Jamaican Patty Recipe

Scott, I looked it up because honestly, I thought it sounded more like some kind of a blunt than food. Sounds good. I'm not Jamaican, but I did pay to have those kewl corn rows once.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
And for desert crepes filled with cream cheese and honey, topped with warm orange marmalade, creme Chantilly and toasted almonds.
C

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Homemade potato soup with onion, bacon, mushroom, carrot, and lentil with tofu replacing the cream. Chopped fresh parsley and cracked pepper as garnish.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Vegetable and Chicken Breast Curry and Onion Rings (my husband's contribution). He couldn't wait to cook rice so he did some manly deep frying.

I saute boneless, skinless chicken breasts sprinkled with curry powder, salt and pepper in a little oil, then saute onions, carrots and mushrooms in the pan drippings, break in some curry blocks and simmer. Then I put the chicken back in and simmer some more.

Dark chocolate hershey kisses for dessert.

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Tonight...pork cutlets, cheesy macaroni and roasted asparagus with parasean cheese. It was great. I didn't have to cook, oldest daughter did. Youngest did the dishes, too, so life is good!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Hamburgers, grilled out. But not just any ol' hamburgers. Try this:

Slice of tomatillo, nestled inside a sliced ring of sweet yellow bell pepper, with finely diced jalapeño pepper on top, placed on burger near end of cooking and covered with slice of swiss cheese just long enough for the cheese to melt nicely.

As good as a hamburger gets.

caw

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Grillin' out with the grandmas, tonight. Think it is going to be grilled salmon. The oldest girl is in the kitchen concocting a pasta salad right now. Think she is putting chicken, parm and roasted peppers in it, but not sure. She's a pretty good cook, so I just step back and let her have her way with the kitchen.

Should be a good meal tonight, tho.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
Got creative with the mashed taties last night!
Mixed in chives and crushed garlic, formed them into balls and coated them with a mix of breadcrumbs, basil, oregano, garlic salt, pepper. Put them in the oven with teh meatloaf for the last 15mins.

Came out really nice too. Hubby and kids love mashed potatoes, but I don't. I think it's boring as hell, so it was nice for a change.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Old standard tonight. Stewed tomatos, lumps of steak, onions and macaroni simmered all afternoon.

It's hubby's all-time favourite as it was his dad's. And as hubby has to stop on the way home from work to get some repairs done on the truck, it has the additional advantage of being done whenever he gets here.

creamofmushroom

>_<
Registered
Reaction score
Baked chicken with eggplant, bell peppers and green peas. Enjoy with pasta.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Three bean chili with polenta. I made peach pie, too, but we didn't get to it yet.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Leg of lamb

A leg of lamb? That always reminds me of the short story...don't know by who...where the lady kills her hubby with a frozen leg of lamb, then cooks it, and the cops eat the meat while looking for the murder weapon.

I loved that story. Wish I could remember who wrote it.

Anyway...we are having frozen glop (frozen breaded chicken parmasean in some kind of a watery tomato sauce) because the youngest wants it. Yetch. Anyone feel like sharing?

I've seen a variation of this.

In the 60's there was some horror movie (I can't possibly remember the name of it) and a man who owned a diner killed one of his customers, and then cooked her, and served her to the patrons. The customers name was Mary Lamb, and on his chalkboard out in front of the diner, the next day, he had Today's Special - Leg of Lamb

Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
What we have had recently (because I have an odd desire to share):

Sat- BBQ Chicken, Macaroni Salad, Corn on the cob
Sun- Beer battered Catfish and Fries
Mon- Baked Penne with mushroom and Italian sausage
Tues- Cheesy Potatoes with smoked sausage and broccoli
Tonight- Chicken Noodle Soup Casserole

Bought a new cook book so next week I will have new ideas I hope! Sometimes taking the easy way out with ready made or pre-assembled stuff is so tempting until I taste it. Then I regret not cooking.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's cold here today--we had freakin' snow this morning!--so I'm making a pretty wintry meal, turkey chili, served with sourdough rolls.

Maryn, who should start it soon