The "Where can I send this story?" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMigrating

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 8600 word story about a fairy becoming human and falling in love with a teenage boy she believes she is destined to be with. She gets the bad news from the boy's mom that the only reason he was able to see her when she was a fairy is because he is the son of a former mystical being. Fairy falls upon hard times learning to be a human girl and faces socio-economic prejudice. Happy ending though. I submitted to Cricket magazine but never heard from them after 14 weeks (and I emailed again and still received no reply).

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I have a 8600 word story about a fairy becoming human and falling in love with a teenage boy she believes she is destined to be with. She gets the bad news from the boy's mom that the only reason he was able to see her when she was a fairy is because he is the son of a former mystical being. Fairy falls upon hard times learning to be a human girl and faces socio-economic prejudice. Happy ending though. I submitted to Cricket magazine but never heard from them after 14 weeks (and I emailed again and still received no reply).

Cricket, sad to say, is a VERY slow market. The last two responses tracked on Duotrope are 128 and 230 day rejects and the average is over 150. Duotrope page for Cricket.

Now, that said... I have some bad news. Cricket only takes stories up to 2000 words per their guidelines.

So, assuming the 8600 up there wasn't a typo of 860 or somesuch then you might be best off formally withdrawing your sub and sending it somewhere else.

Best of luck, however you move forward!

Deizelcore

This is not a user title
Registered
Reaction score
I have been working on this short story for a while:

First half:
MC (a younger lad around college student age) is pissed by when a prank that is played on him goes too far. Later, he meets up with a guy he hardly knows, who holds a similar grudge against the same person and together they go ahead to get their revenge.
Second half:
Things go horribly wrong, they end up killing the guy. As they stash away the body: a) the MC is having a "Raskolnikov"-like emotional breakdown.
b) they have a conflict of their own.

So, what genre is this? I know that this can be classified as New Adult based on the age, but the story doesn't really deal with being young, it deals with crime and regret.

I'll appreciate any input.

Thanks in Advance!

- Arthur.

Last edited:

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Where can I send a fun, almost fluffy, very violent horror piece? It doesn't carry emotional weight or philosophical meaning. It's a bit like a 70's slasher movie, with a supernatural element. One Buck Horror is my first try, but anyone else got ideas? I'm coming up empty.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Where can I send a fun, almost fluffy, very violent horror piece? It doesn't carry emotional weight or philosophical meaning. It's a bit like a 70's slasher movie, with a supernatural element. One Buck Horror is my first try, but anyone else got ideas? I'm coming up empty.

There is such a lack of decent horror markets these days - it's depressing. :(

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Hmm.. I wonder if Arcane might consider it?

And you're right... Light/fun stories are much tougher to place.

victoriajakes

Registered
Reaction score
If I had money/marketing ability/time I would totally start a fun quirky hardcore horror mag. Maybe someday...

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have a wacky horror short complete at 3,014 words I don't know where to send... Here's an impromptu blurb. Suggestions?

Entertainment is changing forever. Comedies, dramas, and reality TV shows are out. Murder is in.
Into a world where murder is being exploited on TV, where viewers watch live assassinations for their own entertainment. A hit game show where the challenge is to kill arises, stirring up remarkable popularity. Millions of viewers all over the globe watch it, vicariously experiencing the thrill of murder without even committing the crime. And they all love it. Murder is the world’s latest and most remarkable excitement turned entertainment. Trending across the globe, the show is an instant success. But what happens when it goes too far?

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I can't figure where to send a story that is, in my opinion, ready to publish but awkward in subject. It has been held, and called a complex, poignant piece yet no acceptances. It's 1,800 words about a teenage boy in the 1970's who has wings. He loves Queen, and everyone thinks he is hunchback--Quasimodo loves Queen. Pretty intense, first person narrative. Is it sci-fi, fantasy, YA? I'd really appreciate any suggestions on where to place this story, because I love it and will not stop trying. But I am getting frustrated. Thank you.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Folkchick, maybe some of the places that say they are interested in "Slipstream" on Duotrope (found as a subgenre of "Fantasy" in the search tool) would work?

victoriajakes

Registered
Reaction score
I would try magic realism places too. Something like A Cappella Zoo.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Alex, sorry for being late on this but I took your advice and subbed there! Thanks. :)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I know I just posted here for a different short but I'm going to again. :) I have a 524 word flash humor piece that I'd like to submit somewhere, hopefully to a paying market. It's a little stronger than YA but not too adult (sex jokes, etc.) either... Help? Thanks.

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Ok, I know I just posted here for a different short but I'm going to again. :) I have a 524 word flash humor piece that I'd like to submit somewhere, hopefully to a paying market. It's a little stronger than YA but not too adult (sex jokes, etc.) either... Help? Thanks.

Hi MysteryRiter. Not sure if your piece is general or what genre? literary? quirky? Who's the audience? How about StupefyingStories or FunnyTimes or Eric's Hysterics or The Washington Pastime (they say they never get enough humor).

I hope this helps,

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
That does help. Thanks. It's offbeat, quirky humor, I guess more towards a male audience but should be for anyone. It's PG.

Ginosion

Registered
Reaction score
I've finished a 1,700 word exorcism story told from the point of view of the person being possessed. Its does have some violence and gore but doesn't get into too much detail. Any thoughts on who might be interested? I thought maybe Apex Magazine, but I'm unsure they would be the best place.

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
Where should I send a 1400 word non-supernatural horror? I tried one buck horror, but I couldn't log on (they said my email wasn't really an email, news to me).

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Where could I send a 3000-word story that's a riff on Rebecca and Jane Eyre? Some horror elements, some unpleasant sex (mostly just implied). I'm frustrated - really like this story, and don't know what to do with it. Thanks!

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to submit a 2500 word short story. I'm not really sure what genre it falls into - 'contemporary', I suppose. It's about three people driving across America, following strange painted symbols they don't quite understand the meaning of.

BelmontHeir

Registered
Reaction score
I have a short piece, it's about 1500 words long.

Venues I've tried: Pank, Thieves Jargon, Dark Sky Magazine, Jersey Devil Press.

I'm not sure if my piece just isn't strong enough or if I'm just having difficulty finding the right venue. The story is meant to be dark, edgy, and transgressive but also humorous. It's about teen characters but the intended audience is adults, not teens - like Dennis Cooper or Bret Easton Ellis. This might be my issue, not sure.

I know I've posted before but I'd appreciate anyone who could point me in the right direction.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know any specific markets for zombie stories?

Duotrope only has zombie wars, and mine wouldn't fit there.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Looking for suggestions on where to send a 1600 word story, second-person, present-tense, darkly-humorous story wherein the MC basically "gaslights" (definition) her husband. Based on US standards, this one would probably come in at the low end of the R-rated zone for language and (not particularly graphic) sexual content.

Almost sold to Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine (personal from lead editor stating as such), rejected by Fender Stitch and Noir Nation.

Theoretically, I could wait the additional three or four months for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine to respond to my most recent submission and then send this one to them. But I hate leaving it sitting around that long.

In my mind, this story isn't tied tightly enough to the "mystery" genre that it might not be picked up by the (right) general-fiction market. But I don't have any idea what that would be. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.