Short Story Idea Feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiHex

Registered
Reaction score
Website
samuraihex.weebly.com
So, I'm currently writing the plot of my début novel Second Saviour: Celestial Fortress. I'm very happy with how it's currently going and all.
The feedback I'm looking for is associated with the series I'm attempting to create with it.

You see, I had this weird idea appear in my mind when I was half asleep. The idea being that I write short stories, or novella's to do with the prologue's of the characters in the series before the happenings of the main series. The current smaller project I'm attempting would help me to get to know the world I'm creating and the characters in said world. It'll hopefully also give me feedback on the series, as I'll hopefully be releasing them on sites like Wattpad for people to view and read for free. Maybe it'd also give me experience in writing as well. :D

Just wanting some small feedback on what you think of this idea. I'll be doing it, just I'm not sure what to do with it. Like putting it on sites or just keeping it for friends and family to view and read. Also if I do or don't release it on sites while the main series is being created, the prologue series will be entirely free. You see, it's kinda of a passion of mine to make more people enjoy reading, the best way in my mind to do that, is not by making them purchase books but to go online and get to read certain books for free.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Write the novel. Forget everything else. And I mean write the novel, not plan it, research for it, or anything else. Sit down and start writing. All else is procrastination.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'd suggest finishing the novel first. Then decide if you want to release prequel stories. Other than prequels being a great way to avoid working on the novel, you may find things change about your characters while you're writing (so the prequels would then also need updating). It'll also make more marketing sense to release the prequels when the novel is available.

NDoyle

Writer, Editor, Photographer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.noreen-doyle.com
That doesn't seem like such a weird idea to me. I've published (in pro mags/ezines) short stories that take place before, during, and after a novel I'm working on, although they were written as works unto themselves and not as bait for feedback on the milieu. Nonetheless, reader comments and (professional) reviews on them have been interesting.

But if your main intent is to write a novel, rather than short fiction, putting your effort directly into the novel is probably the wisest course of action, as the others have said.

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
I would say it could be a good idea as long as it's not a distraction from your main goal. If the ball is rolling on your novel, I wouldn't get sidetracked. There may be times when you experience blocks and can't write. If the shorts are helping the novel, putting you more in touch with your characters so you can better write about them in the novel, then great! And you should definitely share them with the audience of your novel once they're polished. Good luck!

CWHs2

Registered
Reaction score
It might be difficult for some readers to get into your characters from a prequel. If you want reader feedback on your characters/series/plot, as in real, constructive feedback, you'd be better off finding betas or mentors than posting your stories on Wattpad or handing them out to family/friends. I don't think it's a bad idea to do prequels...just that if you want to get more experience writing, then just write. Don't make a big production out of it.

Also, I admire your passion to make more people enjoy reading, but IMO people enjoy reading good stories. Free or not.

Lironah

Space Cadet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joanalbright.net
Do it. Anything that gets you to write, anything that gets you deeper into your world, is going to improve your main novel. I write short stories all the time when I'm stuck on a project, just so that I'm writing something. And I've submitted one of these short stories and won a cash prize with it too, so bonus.

No, don't do it to the exclusion of writing the main work, but if you hold that story inside, it's never going to grow. Get it on paper, let it tell you more about your characters and their history. I've learned things even from playing 'what if' with my story, mentally rewriting some major past event. And my overall skill at writing has definitely benefited from the experience of doing short stories.

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
My personal opinion, if you haven't written the entire book, you have no idea how much it will change. If you want to use the prequel as an into to your world, writing it now seems like jumping the gun.

That said, I would still write it, mainly because short fiction with my MCs has been incredibly helpful for working out their voice and history. Honestly if your goal isn't to eventually traditionally publish, then I think you should do whatever you enjoy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.