The Fellowship Cafe

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it gets complicated...

The story centers around a Roman slave's 2,000 year hunt for Satan's brother. He spends most of his time in seclusion, save for the action scenes, which is where I focus my writing.
The antagonist is a complex character and I really want to explore his nature in the text.
Showing everything from the protagonist's pov makes that impossible.
Trying to find a way to work in the point of view of a reluctantly fallen angel is difficult. Lucifer deceived his brother, who now wants nothing more than to return to grace and becomes rather violent upon learning he cannot do so.
The MC, obviously, does not know his history and has no sympathy for the devil, so to speak. He has nothing kind to say about our demonic antagonist, yet he has sympathetic qualities.

EG

I don't know how to write it, but I hope you do. It sounds like a really interesting read :)

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
Happy May, everyone! I'm not sure what the weather's like for you, but here it is storming. Again. Thunder. Lightning. The whole works. But all is well. A smile is still plastered to my face...I get that way when I'm working on a new project. Which is good. Otherwise, the whole querying process would drag me down.

Hope everybody else has something to smile about today!

Now if I could just get some... :Coffee: Ah, there we go.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: writing. :) Our weather is about as hot and humid as you could ever want.

But I got to go on a field trip with my 9-year-old, who thinks I'm the coolest mom ever. I want to bottle this feeling to hold me through the teen years. So grateful for every second with these kids. That's my smile for today!

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about ready for some warmer weather. March was nice, but April was rather chilly. I was insistent about keeping the heat off even when the temp in our house was 62. But that makes for a very low electric bill this month. Can't complain about that!

PeshatBooks

Searching everywhere for truth
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peshatbooks.com
A New Christian Writer

G'Day to all Christian writers.
I am new to the forum but expect posts over time as I get myself organised. I have one (non-religious) book recently published, with a religious sequel written but not yet published. As you are no doubt aware, self-publishing is an expensive process, and marketing from a small country, population wise, is difficult and even more expensive. Still, I am a newbie and trying to be patient.
I will be attending the International Christian Retailers Sale in Orlando in July, so if others on this board are planning to be there, I would be interested in meeting you.
In the meantime, you may find some interest in my website, www.peshatbooks.com
As I come to understand the purpose of this thread, and what others are interested in, I will contribute as best I can.
Looking forward to your correspondence.
Regards,
Wayne

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
G'day (if they still say that in Oz), Peshat!

I'm interested in your statement that self-publishing is expensive. I'm aiming a book at direct-to-reader through Kindle, and from what I can discern, it's not going to cost me much at all.

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
Weather? Tornado alley living up to its name this year! Duck!

Breakthrough of sorts on my POV issue. I found the way.
Happy to fill in if anyone wants details.

Also, a new job in the works that may actually (gasp) help me writing time. On the down side, it requires more travel, which will keep me away from the family.
On the up side, it'll have me in hotel rooms a couple of nights a week, which will add to my writing time.
A mixed blessing, but two nights a week with nothing to do will be terrific for my writing.

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
Help MY writing time, that is. :eek:

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Weather? Tornado alley living up to its name this year! Duck!

Breakthrough of sorts on my POV issue. I found the way.
Happy to fill in if anyone wants details.

Also, a new job in the works that may actually (gasp) help me writing time. On the down side, it requires more travel, which will keep me away from the family.
On the up side, it'll have me in hotel rooms a couple of nights a week, which will add to my writing time.
A mixed blessing, but two nights a week with nothing to do will be terrific for my writing.

Agreed. That's quite a mixed blessing.

Good that you see the silver lining, though. You never know what this travel may entail.

PeshatBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peshatbooks.com
G'day (if they still say that in Oz), Peshat!

I'm interested in your statement that self-publishing is expensive. I'm aiming a book at direct-to-reader through Kindle, and from what I can discern, it's not going to cost me much at all.

Well, it can be expensive, or cheap, depending on the services you are willing to pay for. In my contract with the publisher, I was required to purchase 1000 books at a discounted price but I have the non-exclusive rights to sell them in Australia. In theory, I could recoup my costs or even make a profit on these alone, and so far I have managed to sell 170 in just a few weeks. Total costs to me were about $10,000 including freight and customs.
On the plus side, the publisher has produced a high quality product, the equal of any in bookstores. They also released a Kindle version. The main reason I went with this publisher, Deep River Books, is that they also have their own sales and marketing team, and so far have been doing a great job. If you Google "The Dawkins Deficiency", you will see that it is available in the US, Canada, UK, France, Japan, India, Australia, and other countries. It is early days, but from my own commercial career, I know that no matter how good the product, it is marketing that will win the day.
So, yes, publishing, and in particular an e-book version, need not be expensive, but sales and marketing is another matter.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Peshat, please know that I'm trying to help you here. When you finish your next book, please go to the Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks board here, and/or to the Preditors and Editors website.

The purpose of the BR&BC board is to help all writers know the good, bad, and iffy of publishers and agents. Like Deb said, there are several self-publishing options that require zero money up-front, and also several small presses that might be a good fit for your next book, if you don't want to try to get an agent.

I truly hope you sell all the copies you agreed to purchase and that you recoup your money.

I chose to go the agent and trade publishing route, which isn't necessarily the choice everyone makes. The main reason I spent several years achieving this goal was to have a publisher's sales staff get my books on bookstore shelves,in addition to Kindle, Nook, and other ebook platforms. If this is your eventual goal, there are many AWers who are willing to help with advice and crits.

Good luck!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, PeshatBooks.

Well, it can be expensive, or cheap, depending on the services you are willing to pay for.

True: but it's important to be aware of the differences between valid services which are offered to self-publishing authors, and the things that vanity publishers charge for. I fear you've fallen for the latter rather than the former.

In my contract with the publisher, I was required to purchase 1000 books at a discounted price
I'm afraid that any publisher which requires its authors to buy 1,000 books--no matter how deep the discount--is one to avoid. I'm sorry: but this isn't how publishing of any sort other than vanity publishing works.

If you're happy with this, then that's fine. But you'll almost certainly be able to find printers which will print your book for less than you paid, and give you just as good a service; and you could, of course, use a print-on-demand printer like Lulu or CreateSpace, have no up-front printing costs at all,
and not be obliged to buy a single copy of your book.

but I have the non-exclusive rights to sell them in Australia. In theory, I could recoup my costs or even make a profit on these alone, and so far I have managed to sell 170 in just a few weeks. Total costs to me were about $10,000 including freight and customs.
Blimey O'Reilly, that's a lot of money to spend with no guarantee of return, but very well done on selling 170 copies. How many more will you have to sell before you recoup your costs for both printing and selling the books?

On the plus side, the publisher has produced a high quality product, the equal of any in bookstores. They also released a Kindle version.
You can download your own book to the Kindle (and to Smashwords, to make it accessible to other e-readers) for absolutely nothing.

The main reason I went with this publisher, Deep River Books,
Deep River Books has its own thread in our Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks room. If it's the publisher I think it is, then it's not recommended. I'm sorry; I don't like to be the bearer of bad news; but I strongly recommend you to consider true self-publishing for your next book, and not going back to DRB.

is that they also have their own sales and marketing team, and so far have been doing a great job.

What exactly have they done to sell and market your book? Have they got it on the shelves of any bookshops? Because even though online sales are taking an increasing share of the market, being on the shelves of bookshops is still the best way to sell print editions. Note that being "available from" bookshops on special order isn't the same at all.

And if they're "doing a great job" at selling and marketing your book, how many copies have they sold so far apart from the 1,000 copies they sold to you?

If you Google "The Dawkins Deficiency", you will see that it is available in the US, Canada, UK, France, Japan, India, Australia, and other countries. It is early days, but from my own commercial career, I know that no matter how good the product, it is marketing that will win the day.
So, yes, publishing, and in particular an e-book version, need not be expensive, but sales and marketing is another matter.
I wish you the very best of luck with your book, I really do: but all the marketing in the world won't help if people can't easily buy your book; and if you hinder yourself by spending more than you need to on services which won't really add value to your book, then you're going to find it a lot harder to succeed than if you spend your money more wisely. Please be careful. And please do a little more research into the cheaper options available to self-publishers before signing up with another press. You'd be doing yourself and your book a big favour.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeshatBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peshatbooks.com
Dear Callalily & Old Hack,
Thank you for your insights and advice, I do appreciate them.
When I started this venture over two years ago, I approached numerous agents and publishers all of whom responded: “We are not taking on new authors at present”. Maybe it was the GFC, but no matter how good one’s manuscript may have been, it was apparent that it wasn’t going to be read. I could have endlessly pursued the ideology of not paying to be published, but pragmatism prevailed. If, four years ago, you had told me that I would write and publish a book, I would have thought you had taken leave of your senses – nothing was further from my mind. I cannot be sure of the source of my inspiration, but this comes to mind: “If we are to live a really Christian life, we must all be sure that whatever work we are doing, it is God’s will that we should do it. How is it possible, if you are a Christian man, that you can do your secular work at all, unless you believe that it is God’s will that you should do it?” I was confident that if I was indeed called to the task, it was God’s project not mine.

One of the joys of the Christian life is that we need not concern ourselves with outcomes. Jewish wisdom as taught by Rabbi Tarfon conveys the sense succinctly: “It is not for you to complete the task, but neither are you free to stand aside from it.” We do what we can do, and God does what we cannot do, and as long as it is His Will that it be done. Otherwise, our writing efforts are as described by Logan Pearsall Smith: “Every author, however modest, keeps a most outrageous vanity chained like a madman in the padded cell of his breast.” This I seek to overcome.

I have been entirely happy with my association with DRB and have enjoyed the experience immensely. It is early days – maybe the book will be successful, and maybe it will not, but I am content to leave it in God’s Hands. Either it is something He wants done, or it is not. The resources I have used are His not mine, and if I have misused them, He will surely hold me accountable, just as He would if I had hoarded them.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Peshat, I'm glad that you're apparently happy with the path you've chosen to take, but you've slightly misread my post. I'll clarify it a little, and apologise to all for derailing this thread.

You wrote that you submitted your book to numerous agents and publishers who all rejected it. Fair enough: it's hard to find an agent to take you on, and it's hard to find a good publisher if you don't have an agent. But once you decided that trade publishing wasn't for you, you could have self-published your book at minimal cost instead of vanity-publishing it at great cost; and if you had done so, instead of giving your $10,000 to Deep River Books you could have given it to your church, or used it to directly help people in trouble.

I understand that you have placed your trust in god to make this work out: but sometimes we have to do the legwork down here and leave him to concentrate on the bigger things. I don't mean this disrespectfully, and hope that I haven't offended anyone: but I urge you to consider self-publishing instead of vanity publishing for your subsequent books. It will be far less costly, and just as effective.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
and hope that I haven't offended anyone

Not offended.

I do, however, agree with you. Deep River doesn't look like a place I'd want to send my new novel, but then again, we all have reasons for doing things.

Peshat, do what you want--it's your decision, definitely not ours--but strongly consider what we've said for your next novel. Or, get the rights reverted on this one, because I've never heard of a vanity pub book selling that many copies. It would probably be much better suited for Kindle, Nook, Kobo, etc, due to the fact that anyone in the world can simply buy a copy and tote it around, instead of you having to sell it to them.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
Curious of the reaction, I post the thirty-first chapter of Proverbs here, in which a mother gives advice to her young. Do please consider the advice your mother has gave you, and thank her, even if she's no longer here.

31 The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.
2 What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?
3 Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.
4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.
6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.
8 Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.
9 Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.
10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Mother's Day. :)

Word, I aspire to be a Proverbs 31 woman. I fail daily, but I'd love to be the kind, competent wife and mom that this describes.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Happy Mother's Day to me!

All y'all know that I don't read reviews. However a Google alert showed this review and the location abbreviation made me think it was from Eastern Europe. So I clicked, with trepidation. Turns out it's the St. Augustine, FL news, and I'm glad I clicked.

This is the first line:
Back in the Habit,by Alice Loweecey is not your typical mystery. In fact, this is one of the most entertaining novels of suspense that I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

:snoopy: