• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking beta reader(s) for three short stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

anilaheartland

Registered
Reaction score
I have three short fantasy stories (all under 10k, two under 5k) that I intend to self publish as a single volume. I'd like someone to take a look at all three of them and give me some honest feedback. I'd like to know what needs to be fixed, what your general view of the story is, and if I should cut the first one and leave it to the second and third stories. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The first one, Rescue, deals with a botched rescue attempt of a noblewoman. When she and her would be rescuer are rescued themselves, things go horribly wrong.

The second one, The Soldier and the Lady, follows the adventures of the main character in the first one. It's a little bit of a romance but mostly about dealing with a new law that's been passed down and dealing with an overzealous attempt to follow that law.

The third one, The Pigeon and the Fiddler, follows the adopted son of the character in the first two stories. He returns to the city of his birth to find out if the witch hunts have stopped. He befriends a lonely child who is soon to become the target of someone who never wanted the witch hunt to stop.

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
What genre are your stories?
Are you willing to beta read in return?
What, exactly, are you looking for from your beta reader, and how detailed do you want them to be? Just their general view and if they believe something needs fixed?

anilaheartland

Registered
Reaction score
My stories are fantasy. Yes I'm willing to beta read in return. As to what I'm looking for from my beta reader is a deep read through. I want to know if the stories flow well, if the characters work, if these should remain short stories or if they need to be reworked into longer pieces of fiction. The one I have the most concerns about is Rescue. These are all supposed to be a trilogy but I'm not sure if it works at all.

uscgbyron

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marieabmare.wordpress.com
Wow! Someone else in the same boat as me!!!

I am working on an ongoing fantasy series of (mostly) short stories myself. I'd be more than happy to take a look at your three in exchange for you taking a look at my first three.

Interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.