Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moni

Literary vampire Mongering words
Registered
Reaction score
I still like MY quote that I'm an excellent writer like Rainman is an excellent driver! So there! :p ROFL

This is true....SO far...out of the 4 ppl that I've sent the story to....the two that h ave gotten it back to me have LOVED my story....so it's entertaining.....so I'll just hafta wait & see! ROFL That & I have good feedback so far!

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
That's good!

I just got myself a writing buddy! Hopeing to get back more awesome feedback.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys... Haven't sumbitted much, huh. Lol. I agree with whoever was saying the agent was nice but thought you shouldn't get your hopes up. I got told that. That there's too much fantasy and the market is flooded, especially with Vampire stuff. Lol. I'm sure there is always an exception, but that's just what the agent and another agent's blog said. *Laughs*

I'm not really doing 'mermaids', so much as all of the legends. The kind of 'root' of them. Lol. So yeah, we do not start out with mermaids at all. *Chuckles*

We start out with a kidnapping... :D

Welcome to all the newbies!:)

Last edited:

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
see i dont see why everyone is starting to write mermaid stories now just because its going to be the "next big thing". Why not write something you really want to write and market that. Who knows maybe your idea will be the "next big thing" that's the way i think. Why force yourself into the trend... when if you work hard enough you can be the trend.

pezie

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't submitted anything, but then again, this is my first novel, so that makes perfect sense :). Most of my ideas are dystopian-esque. I've read that's getting stale too. But I just love dystopia. I don't even know what you'd classify my current WIP? It's not really dystopian. More like pre-dystopian, or the creation of a dystopia perhaps? By the time I get through all of these ideas, I'm sure the market will be flooded and I'll have to start w/ something fresh. But these are the stories in my head for now.

I've also got ideas for 2 contemporary YA. I could start there, maybe?

Twinkie

spongy, yellow, & an utter mystery
Registered
Reaction score
A kidnapping is a great way to start. Talk about conflict! :D I recently had to rewrite my opening because it was the stereotypical "first day of school." :p Now it starts with a telekinetic fight.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Kidnapping=awesome. Acutally that's how this book I'm on now starts off. Well really with an Amber Alert.

telekinetic fight= wow! Great opening!

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
A kidnapping is a great way to start. Talk about conflict! :D I recently had to rewrite my opening because it was the stereotypical "first day of school." :p Now it starts with a telekinetic fight.

Now THAT is an exciting start! A telekinetic fight! Just don't throw anything too heavy into anyone's "junk" ROFL Sorry...I couldn't resist!

Twinkie

spongy, yellow, & an utter mystery
Registered
Reaction score
It's fun. I mean, not for my MC. It totally scars her for life. But scenes like that are a blast to write. In my prequel novel, I have a great fight scene between a telekinetic and a mind reader. SO. MUCH. FUN.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
sounds awesome.

My MC's have abilities... not really superpowers but the closest reasonable physically possible kind of powers a person could have in real life.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, powers... All my MC's seem to have 'powers' or at least transformation. Aye! It is my downfall. I will never be able to make a nice contemporary urban novel *sighs* :cry:

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
see my downfall is my scientific mind. I have the need to have every ability my MC's have be able to be explained by real life science. That's why unfortunatly i could never have like really cool powers.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
I want some ice cream.

Hmm, there is some in my freezer. But I'm gonna make dinner soon - trying a new recipe *grins*

Love new recipes! ROFL You get that recipe by the ears & tell it who the chef is! ROFL

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
THis was interesting and I am in such deep crap, lol. I don't write any of those.

I used to write sci-fi but I sucked at it and then no one actually wanted it. The best I got was that it had 'good bones', but was nothing unusual. I don't know. I hate this - it makes my head hurt.

Maybe I should just go back to spinning the scroll mouse and picking a WIP for the day, or even hour, and then hopping to another WIP - as I always used to do. My creative juice have been sapped lately. I just don't know. :) I have 50 some odd, one is bound to catch my eye - again. :D

pezie

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I already knew dystopia is waning. But (and p-dragon, maybe you can weigh in...the plugged in girl) my newest idea is probably more sci-fi than dystopian (but crosses that line) so I am excited to read that SF might make a comeback. I also have some other more techy kind of ideas. I think I'm just bad at classifying a genre b/c the techy ideas are kind of dystopian, but not, but kind of SF, but not. Gah! I need a Genre 101 course.

And can I just say--I never thought I'd write SF. But here I am. It actually makes me kind of want to abandon my WIP, but I won't. I need to prove I CAN finish and edit a whole darn novel. I'm 45K in. I can do it! And THEN I will move on to shiny new projects.

ETA--PD, don't give up! You never know what will stick and what won't. Write what you need to write for you.

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
I have always been a contemporary girl, maybe the occasional dystopian or fantasy very, very rarely in terms of my short stories. But even my dystopians usually don't involve sci fi elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.