Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I am nestled in my writer's den. Too bad I have internet access here.

I need to pace myself anyways. I am in the last chapters of edits and I tend to rush through those pages every time I visit them.

I would love to go to Spain, or anywhere in Europe. The hubs and I went to Paris a few years ago. I cried when we left. I had babies at home, but I still cried leaving that beautiful city.

That is my goal for my book. I would like to make enough sales to take my family to Paris.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
@Dot We're going to the coast, not far from Barcelona. The plan at the moment is visit it at least two days.

@JK I love your avvie! It's so cute! :D

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my summer vacation....

No, I mean right here. I took half a day off because we were slow and I have errands to run. Then again, it means that I can run over to my favorite little town and my favorite little cafe and write tomorrow, so I can pretend like it's a vacation then.

I'm saving my vacation time for the winter.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Hello! Just wondered what the premise of this thread is? How old do you have to be? I'm 28, hardly a teenager.

I'm approaching with caution after having my head bitten off in the self-published section of the forum. haha!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lisa, my avatar combines two favorite things: books and kittens.

Welcome, Sarah. If you scroll back a page or two, you will see a big range of ages here.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 29, Sarah (and also a Sarah-woo hoo!), so don't worry, you're in the right place!

Lisa- I'm so jealous! I would love to go to Spain.

Sage and JB- I'm in the same boat. Practically zero vacation time and it sucks! I've got a few days I've been saving for Christmas, but I'm going to end up taking a couple days in August. It's more of an accidental vacation. Hubby and I decided to be spontaneous and bought tickets for Mumford and Sons in Louisville, KY (a 5 hour drive) on August 13. I thought the 13th was a Friday. It's Monday. And the tickets are non-transferrable. So we're taking Monday and Tuesday off and going anyway. This is what happens when I'm spontaneous, ugh.

I'm at 46k in my WIP, but have gone back to add in different things. I got hit with inspiration while walking around B&N today at lunch (I came up with a title, yay!), but that means adding things in at the beginning so I can change the end. My goal is to finish the first draft this weekend.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Welcome, Sarah! :welcome: We're a friendly bunch in this thread. :)

Grr, I wish my sister would reply to my text. I'm wanting to book tickets for the Harry Potter tour at WB Studios before they sell out. (For now I'll keep refreshing my basket so I don't lose 'em, lol.)

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Nice to meet you all.

I feel your pain with the holiday situation. I have a part-time day job and the rest of the time I write. I have a 'free' day on Fridays where I write and it really annoys me when people ask me what I'm doing on my 'day off'. Grr! I think if I add the writing, promoting and other bits to my day job it would be well over full-time hours but non-writers just don't get it.

I'd love a full week off right now but to be honest even when I set myself a day holiday I never get through it without at least checking my email or tweeting promos!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Sarah

I used to have Tuesdays of and work Sundays instead. Yeah, it's like, "This is a weekend day," but nobody gets it.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
:welcome: Sarah

I used to have Tuesdays of and work Sundays instead. Yeah, it's like, "This is a weekend day," but nobody gets it.

Hahaa, I used to do that too. I had Sundays and Mondays off when I worked at Petsmart, so Monday was my Sunday, and it confused the hell out of people unless I spoke slowly.

K, so I'm trying to keep myself from hitting "send" on the email query I have for Musa. The logical part of my brain says it won't hurt to sleep on it, but the little impatient devil on my shoulder keeps urging my mouse finger on.

In other news, the cat is looking around under the computer armoire like she sees a mouse or a cockroach :cry:

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
I've got one last paragraph to write tomorrow, but I'm starting to feel a bit miserable about the editing in going to have to do on the beginning. Maybe I will feel better once I have a printed copy to take the red pen to. Editing scares me.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether to print out TM to work on tomorrow, or to work directly into the computer file. I get a lot less intimidated by edits when it's on paper for some reason, but these might be big enough edits that I need to do them on the comp. I don't want to waste paper

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Sarah!!

Also, guys, I took a leaf out of Dorothy's book and parodied a song (um, just be glad you didn't hear me sing...can't carry a tune!): found here :D

Periwinkle- I went to college in the B0ston area! <3

How has everyone been? My comp was at the beach and I was at our home so thus, the silent-on-my-end deal. But now I'm back. Mwahaha! :tongue

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Welcome Sarah!

Smiley, it's nice to see your smiling...star. :D

Hope everyone is well and getting those edits and revisions and other writerly stuff (and non-writerly stuff) done!

Had a busy day with the girls and cleaning, but I was able to do a little reading today, so that's good. TMI is my fave series in the world, but daaaaaamn, sometimes I wish CC would tighten her writing and edit out some of the details. It slows the pacing of the story. Lucky for her I'm so completely invested in these characters or I would have quit reading. I mean, really? 534 pages??? Gah! I feel like it could have been told in 400 and I'm only on page 326! It's TOO LONG.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The bigger the name, the harder it is to edit them. She's doing very well, so I imagine the editors just let her do whatever she wants ;)

Decided to print out TM. If something's too big to do on paper, I'll just circle it and say, "Fix this here" like I used to do, lol.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I just stopped by S&S - I should've took the elevator and yelled at her editor, "DO YO JOB. EDIT THOSE CC BOOKS!" :ROFL:

And :hi: it's so nice to see everyone's avies!

Good luck with TM. How many pgs is it? I hope your edits go smoothly.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the copy I'm printing out right now is 149 pages (75 pieces of paper), but that's with tiny font and formatting. It's normally 250 pages

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I like a printed copy. Paper is a renewable resource (and my daddy worked in a paper mill, so I like them). It feels more like reading a book, although I am growing to love my Kindle more and more.

First round of edits are done! It is amazing I get anything done since nobody ever leaves me alone. The kids finally go to bed after 10 pm, and the hubs comes to me with a problem he wants to talk about.

Snippets of time. I work in snippets of time. Tiny ones at unusual hours.

Smiley, you chickened out. Why aren't you singing that parody?

Status
Not open for further replies.