• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a writing mentor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
Conditions:

1. YA Fantasy/Adventure writer. That way we can have common interests.
2. Must be honest.
3. Someone who can help me grow as a writer.

What I offer:

1. A person to listen to your ideas, and perhaps help you figure out potential plot bumps (I'll try, hehehe :D).

Thanks in advance. :D

Last edited:

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
Bump! Just to be more clear, in case I haven't, I'd like to update this by saying that I'd like a mentor to help me with growing as a writer. I want to gain confidence and experience with my writing. Thanks in advance. :D

sussu

Registered
Reaction score
I am also looking for a partnership. However I have noticed that most people who are looking for CPs just want a pat on the back.
I am looking for someone who listens to my critique and not get offended or defend their ideas fiercely without listening.
I am ready to make necessary changes on my manuscript after I listened, or at least try my CP ideas and see if it works.

And I am ready to read different versions to the same chapter. I am looking for someone who could do the same for me.

Would you call this partnership?
I write fantasy too.

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
I am also looking for a partnership. However I have noticed that most people who are looking for CPs just want a pat on the back.
I am looking for someone who listens to my critique and not get offended or defend their ideas fiercely without listening.
I am ready to make necessary changes on my manuscript after I listened, or at least try my CP ideas and see if it works.

And I am ready to read different versions to the same chapter. I am looking for someone who could do the same for me.

Would you call this partnership?
I write fantasy too.

Well, I want to improve. Do you do YA Fantasy by any chance? As long as the writing is interesting and strong, I can try to read it. :)

Can you stick with one project until you finish it?

Well, I think I might just work on two different WIPs at once. But yeah, I need to start doing this.

sussu

Registered
Reaction score
I write YA fantasy, but if you are looking for a partner who already has a manuscript interesting and strong, then you re not looking for someone you can help, you are just looking for someone to help you.
In other words you are saying that if the manuscript of your CP is great, you can try to read it.
That's not a partnership.
I think what you really want is to be mentored.
Good luck with your project.

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
I write YA fantasy, but if you are looking for a partner who already has a manuscript interesting and strong, then you re not looking for someone you can help, you are just looking for someone to help you.
In other words you are saying that if the manuscript of your CP is great, you can try to read it.
That's not a partnership.
I think what you really want is to be mentored.
Good luck with your project.

Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear and said that I wanted a mentor to help me improve. I mean....I can point out typos and errors, but I'm not that experienced, so wouldn't it be unfair to the other person? :/

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear and said that I wanted a mentor to help me improve. I mean....I can point out typos and errors, but I'm not that experienced, so wouldn't it be unfair to the other person? :/

I believe that question has been addressed in another thread of yours.

Look at what you said though.

You didn't say you weren't that experienced, but would be happy to swap stuff and work together on improving. You said IF the ms. is interesting to you, and strong, then you can TRY to read it. You're not even committing to reading things for other people in a thread asking for a partner.

I get now you're realizing that may have not been what you wanted to ask but still.

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
The OP might find it helpful to read this thread, particularly the first and last posts in it:
Please Read Before Posting!

Thanks. In regards to the low count poster, this is different. I've been a member for months now, and I have started giving back/giving input recently/getting to know the community.

Or is it still the same?

Anyway:

• Genre: YA Fantasy/Sci-Fi, Dystopian
  • Feedback: Anything helpful can be useful. If you need to tear apart my writing, then that's okay, just as long as you have a reason for it. :D
  • Publishing: While I'm nowhere near ready to be published, I do believe that I plan to pitch my novels to a publisher company someday. Whenever that is.
  • Credentials: None required, just somebody who knows what they're talking about and is trustworthy.

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
Bump! Should I just keep this in one thread? I feel a thread with a title with what I now know I want would help better. Like, I'm looking for a mentor. But the title says 'partnership'.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You could just edit the title. Edit, go advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.