• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Anyone Ever Use the Soundtrack Trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Silvaris

Master of the Shadowcloak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I found this trick in a forum years ago about building campaigns for role-playing games. I've used it a few times since, both for that purpose and for the purpose of story writing. I just wondered if anyone else had heard of it or tried anything like it.

Here's the idea...

I use windows media player. Any mp3 player or iPod with a decent library of music will work though.

1) Using the random feature on the device, select a number of songs from your library. The more songs you select, the more complicated things will be. I recommend 6-7 songs for a reasonable length story. Note the songs, preferably in order.

2) Now look at each song individually. Beside the song titles, note emotions and themes that the song re...presents, either obvious or subtle.

For example, Garth Brooks' "Thunder Rolls" is about infidelity, but also about facing the consequences of your actions. It also incorporates emotions like worry, jealousy, and vengeance.

This list of ideas are now plot points. A bigger challenge is to implement these points in order. If "Thunder Rolls" is the first song you found, the story starts with a betrayal, though not necessarily infidelity. That was the story he was telling, this is yours.

If the second song you found was "Ten Thousand Fists" by Disturbed then the next step is a rebellion or riot of some sort.

3) Brainstorm each song individually first, then start seeing how the ideas can be strung together. Stuff may get thrown out, but new ideas might flow as the puzzle takes shape, too.

The big thing is try not to cheat. Don't rule out a song during the selection process because it sounds stupid or outrageous and if you're using them in order, don't move them around. Also, be liberal with the emotions and ideas each song brings to mind.

Any questions, just ask for clarity.

Last edited:

Tyler Silvaris

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Ok, this sounds like a REALLY good trick to use o.o Good Gilbert Gottfried I don't know why I never thought of it myself! Thank you for posting this! =D
:D
You'd be surprised what you can do with this if you stick to it and really dive in. I had an eye-opening experience with the last short story I wrote using this method.

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
:D
You'd be surprised what you can do with this if you stick to it and really dive in. I had an eye-opening experience with the last short story I wrote using this method.

that's so cool! xD I DO like to listen to certain songs if I wanna write a specific type of scene. like if there's a fight I go looking through my list for the RIGHT song to match the atmosphere, but i never thought to use the shuffle function on the player to plan the plot instead of using the plot to plan the song.

annapalooza

Learning about time management
Registered
Reaction score
This is a neat trick! Thank you for sharing!

Tyler Silvaris

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Enjoy everyone. I hope this little trick helps out. If you get a project done with this, please let me know. I'd love to see what you came up with.

Embrace the musings that come to you in bed for they are the whispers of muses in your head.

Not sure where that came from. Random thought.

PhoenixSC

Registered
Reaction score
Amazing trick, just made a shuffle playlist and am starting a bit of a plotline now. It's just what I needed to give me a much needed bit of inspiration, thanks! :hooray:

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
I've been using this method for writing and didn't even know it was an official "trick"!

It works! I totally recommend it! Sometimes I've listened to entire albums, closed my eyes and just let a story play in real time like a series of music videos. It's how I do 99% of my writing :D

CatchVonnegut

Registered
Reaction score
That's great. Thanks for sharing. I've always gone with the Monty Python method. That is, I'd find a phone book (getting harder and harder these days) and open the yellow pages to two different pages and try to think of a way to connect what was on them. It's not always super helpful for solving problems with a particular story but it definitely helps to get you thinking about things you wouldn't normally think about.

Okelly65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I use music myself, occasionally a movie or three (for background noise) that fits the mood of the story I am working on.

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! I will have to try this; it sounds like a lot of fun. :) I love random idea generation tactics.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Wow! Actually, I often use music to relax or create the right mood for writing a particular scene. But I have never considered soundtracks for writing exercises. It's a great trick, thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.