The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Kris *munches cookie*

Sorry to have Saturday deliveries end. It's a sign that we are living in a dystopia with a crumbling infrastructure that unfairly burdens the poor, who don't do as much electronic banking.

Yay for weight loss, Sunna!

Sorry about the dryer, Tas!

And Amarie asks hard questions. I really had to think about it. Thank you, Amarie!

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kris! Welcome back. :)

Today is massage and chiro Wed and I scheduled an extra long massage for today for that birthday thing that happened Mon. Since I also missed last one (she was out of town) I figure I deserve it. So 90 minutes today. Aaaaaahhhh

In other news, I'm looking at swag and such, although I don't have my cover art yet, so if anyone knows of good, but cheap places to get stuff...and has ideas of what to get for a first book...please jump in. I don't have a large budget for this, but I thought at least bookmarks or postcards? I want to have everything in place so when I get my cover art I can order everything.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
*tacklehugs Kris*

Blond-that swag is brilliant! Love it!

Kell-great interview!

Gawd, I'll never catch up. Back into the work cave for me!
Making tuna noodle casserole for tea, in need of comfort food and, surprisingly, Mr FD said he'd like that. :Wha:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. A quick mid-morning break check in. :) I am enjoying a few pages of Purgatory and a clementine. I love clementine season. :)

((Tas)) - ugh, so sorry about the dryer. :(

Blond - lovely swag.

GJB - meh, 4 typos are not too bad. I read a book this week that was obviously missing pages - one scene the bottom of the page, something completely at the top of the next. Didn't impair my enjoyment of the book overall. :)

Kiahanna - hope kitteh continues to improve. maybe you should show her the new monopoly token. ;)

Sunna - yay for feeling good! Boo on the 3 feet?! of snow - I'll stop complaining about our 5 inches every-other-day.

Kris - good to see you! :)

Dragonstar - who are your target readers? What would they want? I didn't bother with postcards, because I decided the cost of mailing them was probably not worth the possible benefit. Unless you have a good mailing list of stores and likely buyers, think about what value they have? But bookmarks are almost always good, as are little things that your target reader might like.

~suki

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Dragon, the only swag I buy is bookmarks. I don't have Photoshop, so I use OvernightPrints.com. They format my Word docs to their specs, do great work, and ship quickly, all for reasonable prices.

Blond's done much more creative swag, I know, so she knows about that.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
In other news, I'm looking at swag and such, although I don't have my cover art yet, so if anyone knows of good, but cheap places to get stuff...and has ideas of what to get for a first book...please jump in. I don't have a large budget for this, but I thought at least bookmarks or postcards? I want to have everything in place so when I get my cover art I can order everything.

You probably can't have anything designed until you get final, hi rez cover art. But the whole process is pretty quick. I order bookmarks from PrintRunner which can get them to you in less than a week.

Bookmarks are the easiest for handing out at signings and conferences. Postcards are fine for mailings, but you need to decide what you want to accomplish with those mailings in order to justify price.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's always a joy to see Kris streaking through Purgatory...
I should look so good naked, eh?

I'm not sure how it happened, but I became the tech-ish person for my writing and critique group, which meets today. One woman, I'm sure I can help with backups in the cloud, since life circumstances mean she's going to be traveling a lot while trying to run her business from home.

The other, we shall see. I told her to make sure to bring her laptop, fully charged. She didn't know what that meant. I explained as well as I could--something about a rechargeable battery inside it which charges when the computer is plugged in, and where to see the charge icon--and she had no idea her laptop didn't have to be plugged in to operate. It make me want to knock on her skull with my knuckles and shout "Hello?" into the vast emptiness.

Maryn, pretty sure she is beyond help

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

kris!! *hugs* we miss you!

i hope cricket and cuddles can check
in soon too.

finished ho11y b1ack's B1ack Heart
last night. she literally had my heart pounding
faster with her writing. i think this series
is a study in masterful plotting as well as
narration and prose. recommend to everyone.

nothing but errands and reading before
i leave for mexico on saturday. nervous
excited! =D

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
para. right?

i really hope and pray she'll write more.
some day. she has more stories in her
in this world, she's said.

i'll harass her in mexico about it. ha!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I'm going to do little black keychain flashlights, in addition to bookmarks. All ties in with the theme of the book, i.e. darkness can kill you.

Blond, I don't know if it really matters, but after I ordered my flashlight compass things, I realized you aren't supposed to mail things with batteries.

Cake

Registered
Reaction score
HI!!!!! It's been so long that I almost couldn't find the place!!!!!

*streaks through thread naked*

*steals 3:59 t-shirts and streaks through thread wearing only Blondchen swag*

Missed you guys!! maybe will catch up now.

My eyes! My beautiful eyes!

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Going to write today. Going to do it. Writing. Getting it done. Going to add words. Going to find a plot. Going to...

OH, SHINY THINGS!!!!!

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Okay, I got a research question for those of you who get your hair colored. I've got a character who's getting her dishwater blond hair dyed like Marilyn Monroe blond. What's the process? What do you call the bowls of goop I always see stylists toting around? What sorta lingo am I looking for?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
red, i'll let someone else answer that.

Here's a general warning about Word and why I am banging my head against the wall today. For the second time when I've used a thumb drive to switch between 2 computers to work on a manuscript, the document has become corrupted and unopenable. I think it's because one computer is running 2007 and one is running 2010. The first time I thought it was something I did, but I'm sure this new problem is not my fault.

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Monopoly token?

I'm not sure if its me being paranoid or not but she seems a bit quieter this evening. Perhaps it's just residual tiredness...

I may need to take her back in to the vets...

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Okay, I got a research question for those of you who get your hair colored. I've got a character who's getting her dishwater blond hair dyed like Marilyn Monroe blond. What's the process? What do you call the bowls of goop I always see stylists toting around? What sorta lingo am I looking for?

Not sure on the lingo, but for platinum blond hair, I think you have to bleach the hair first THEN apply the light, yellow-blond color? Even on a dishwater blond, I think there'd be bleaching involved.

Oh, and I think the little thing they apply the dye with is called a spatula.

Status
Not open for further replies.