Help the Fishies!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am pet-sitting for a friend whose menagerie includes a goldfish and two betas, each in its own bowl. The bowls probably hold 1.5 to 2 quarts of water. They were cleaned just before she left on Friday and she's told me not to worry about cleaning them. She returns late Thursday night.

It's Tuesday, and the water's getting pretty murky, especially the goldfish's bowl. Are they going to be okay, or do I need to do something? If so, exactly what?

Maryn, who hasn't had a goldfish since she was about six

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but I suspect it's time to change the water.

The only thing I know NOT to do is use tap water that hasn't been dechlorinated.

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
From my limited experience, the fish are better off spending a few days in water that's a little dirty than in water that isn't properly conditioned for them.

I'd leave it.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're worried, can you call her? I agree though, best follow her instructions -- I expect she knows how long they can go without cleaning.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Two betas, and they're completely under your control??? Don't do anything for them until they agree to read your MS.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, Marlys.

I don't know if this applies to only certain types of fish, or to all fish, so you should doublecheck if this applies to the fish in your care, but when changing the water, scoop the fish into a bag with some of the water. Then change the water, but lower the bag into the new water so that the fish can get acclimated to the temperature change. Otherwise they can go into shock or something. And just dump the old water into the new water once you release the fish.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Unfortunately, you're pet sitting animals who aren't being cared for properly. The goldfish needs to be in a tank of at least 30 US gallons, with proper filtration. They're messy fish and get large (if cared for properly). It's a myth that they grow to the bowl size... what happens is they're sick and stunted, and that's why they stop growing. Most goldfish in these conditions die very young. This is a fish who ought to live at least 5-10 years, and likely longer with proper care. Most goldfish don't make it to a year.

Bettas need less space and aren't as messy. But still do best in tanks large enough for filters and a heater (unless you live in a desert or something). My old betta tank was about 7 US gallons, which is the smallest I'd go for a betta. If they are being kept in a tank without a filter, they should have the water changed daily (which is one reason why I don't understand why someone would go this route, as the filter is the lazy way). The exception would be if it was heavily planted, which isn't going to be the case at the size you're quoting.

Given the situation, I think there's little you can do for these fish to be honest. The fish are going to die, probably soon. There's not a whole lot you can do, other than delay it so it doesn't happen on your watch. I'd suggest cutting down feeding, so they produce less waste (go for a small feed every other day... that won't harm them and it'll keep the water a little clearer).

If you do water change, you must use a dechlorinator. Other methods for removing chlorine won't remove chloramine, which is also put in a lot of water supplies now. And do make sure the water you put in is the same temperature. It's generally best to change a little of the water at a time and not remove the fish, but as the bowls are so small, that's going to be hard. You're probably better off leaving it (what I'd love to suggest is you rehome them right now, but I realise that likely isn't an option).

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I am a little horrified that anyone these days keeps fish in bowls when smaller tanks are so cheap. I also think a 30 gallon tank for one goldfish is a bit much. I had a goldfish that lived for 10 years, and I just switched up his tank as he grew.

But that's all beside the point. I really just wanted to add that even with an additive to condition the water, you need to make sure the water isn't going through a water softener. Conditioning additives do nothing about salt in the water, and fresh water fish can't take it. I wouldn't blame you, OP, if you did not change the water as you've never done it. If you decide to, the advice in the other posts is solid. All I would add is that you can use a jug of distilled water from the store if you are worried about the tap water. Set the jug in the room for a few hours, and it will be the same temp as the water in the bowls.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is that how you spell betta? Her notes to me on fish care didn't.

Anyway, she's low-income and has no cell phone, so I can't contact her. (She has a government-issued cell which calls only 911.) I assume that income is why she has fish bowls from a thrift store and not a tank. I urged her to take her laptop, since her hotel may have free internet (which she does not have at home), but it's sitting on her table, so obviously my suggestion did not fly.

I'll cut back on feeding and hope for the best.

Thanks for the input, everybody.

Maryn, not a fish person except for salmon and ahi

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you're in a financial position to--or if it would even be possible with the size/type of bowls she has the fish in... but they do make mini filters for up to 3-gal aquariums.

:Shrug:

I don't have fish and don't know anything about fish, so this might not be a viable option at all... just brainstorming.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Is that how you spell betta? Her notes to me on fish care didn't.

Yep. They're Betta splendens, so it's a short bit of their scientific name. I generally call them fighters and fighter fish, but betta seems more common for Americans.

Anyway, she's low-income and has no cell phone, so I can't contact her. (She has a government-issued cell which calls only 911.) I assume that income is why she has fish bowls from a thrift store and not a tank. I urged her to take her laptop, since her hotel may have free internet (which she does not have at home), but it's sitting on her table, so obviously my suggestion did not fly.
Fish keeping does take some money for the setup, which is why I have no tanks at the moment (though I've saved for a new betta tank... probably getting that next month). If she has some income, a cheap plastic tank and a filter for the goldfish is the first priority. A saving for the bettas would be to get a larger tank and add a divider, so one filter can be used for both of them. Plastic tanks are already cheap, but I know some people use clear plastic storage boxes as an even cheaper alternative (the concern is whether the plastic will leach, but in this case, the risk of that is far smaller than the risk of poor water quality... just don't get coloured ones).

If she has no money to sort them out, it's time to rehome them. The pet shop may take them back. If she's more middling, I'd say rehome the goldfish, as the bettas are going to be cheaper and they have shorter lifespans (one reason I go for short lifespan fish is I know my income is variable, so I can take breaks between fishkeeping when money won't cover equipment replacements).

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, poor fish. This makes me want to get creative to accommodate the needs and comfort of the fish, and to make the friend happy.

Unfortunately she would still need more than one tank. Tropical fish and goldfish don't belong together, because they have different needs. I've seen it done, but it makes me cringe.

Around here I can usually find a plain 10gal glass tank for about $10 at Walmart, or the local chain pet shop. (fine for a betta, a little cramped for an adult goldfish)

The want ads in the newspaper; people are always getting rid of fish tanks for cheap or sometimes free.

Likewise Craig's list, second hand stores, and goodwill.

A container pond can be made out of just about anything that holds water, from a plastic storage bin to a kiddy pool. And they hold a lot more than 10gal.

My indoor/outdoor goldfish have an 80 gal galvanized stock tank that they share with the kid's turtle. (Obviously not an option in your friend's case, but just an example)

An upside down file crate and a few clean rocks make a handy island. It's very utilitarian, but can easily be spruced up with the addition of live plants. (I kill houseplants, so my fish are stuck with utilitarian.)

As with any housing you will put living things in, rinse it very well first. No soap- ever.

At the very least, if she can't afford a filter, I would add an air pump. That and regular water changes are the most crucial.

Even on a shoe string budget, a proper container and a bit of imagination could make something that totally blows away those darn little bowls the pet stores sell (but shouldn't :rant:).

Hope your friend is able to keep her fish and make them comfortable.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been there yet today, so we shall see. I wonder if she ever lets it go this long when she's home.

Maryn, fretting

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They live! The owner returned, assured me they were okay and that she cleaned their bowls first thing upon her return. All is well.

I'm so glad I knew a place to ask. I'd have killed them if I'd gone with what might have seemed okay, diluting the murky water by scooping out some and replacing it with fresh from the tap. Good think I didn't!

Maryn, who loves a happy ending (in real life, anyway)

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I believe there are fish tanks out there that are bigger, possibly more expensive but easier to clean or there are little devices that help clean the tank