Dialects

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeb55

Outside of the obvious way (going to a place and listening to the way people speak) does anyone know of any good resources for listening to regional dialects? The specific dialect I'm looking for is a west indian/u.s. virgin island?

Also a question for the veterans, how much of a regional dialect should be included? I've read some things that were written so heavily in dialect that it was difficult to read. I'm wondering how much to pepper standard english with the dialect so it adds to the setting, but doesn't make it difficult to read?

thanks for any advice,

James D Macdonald

For dialect, I'd use word-choice and sentence rhythm rather than trying to spell the dialect phonetically.

As to where to get the information on the dialect -- remember "Write what you know"? No substitute for going yourself and listening. Failing that, spoken-word records and movies from the region might help. If it's historical, first-person writing from the time and place.

Tish Davidson

chat room/bulletin board

You might try to find a chat room or bulletin board geared to natives of the region you want to write about and get a feel for their usage and expressions - not a substitute for actually hearing spoken words, but a lot cheaper than travel.

Jamesaritchie

dialect

Dialect should be used very sparingly, rhythm and wword choice is usually the best way. But you can also read fiction by writers who use the dialect you're looking for, and there are always websites, if you can find them.

But I have the habit of calling people who live in places I haven't been. I call everything from tourist boards to police stations to bars to random numbers. I've found people love to talk, especially about themselves, and can be very, very helpful.

seeb55

Re: dialect

thanks jamesaritchie,
calling people, that's so simple, yet brilliant, why couldn't i think of it. Nobody uses the phone anymore, it's all internet. time for me to make some calls.

Cathryn

Registered
Reaction score
I have books in my personal library such as New Yawk Tawk, Whistling Dixie and You'all Spoken Here. So the kind of thing you are looking for might just be out there. I would ask Google for' book on West Indian dialects'. If you don't get a hit on the first try change the wording around and try again. You never know what you will find. Best of luck.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Cathryn, you do know this thread is over ten (10!) years old, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.