Whale Messes With Small Children For Fun

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If there's anyone left who doesn't believe other animals operate on any level besides instinct, direct them to this youtube video of a beluga whale at the Mystic, CT, aquarium.

The whale is either playing with or attempting to scare the shit out of two little kids, for its own amusement. The kids are very amused. It's hilarious and amazing.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who says it's playing or that it's fun?

From the comments made by one contributor it's not playing at all- it's looking at food it can't get at.

ETA- From googling, it appears the contributor who made the 'ignorant' and 'food' comment may be the one who doesn't know much about beluga whales.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
yeah. whale wants lunch. he can't have it. maybe he should be in the ocean. )-:

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it wants lunch. Beluga's eat shrimp, crustaceans and small fish in the wild. They're not big animal hunters.

That video is too cute.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
yeah. whale wants lunch. he can't have it. maybe he should be in the ocean. )-:

Of course he should be in the ocean.

I am absolutely anti zoo, aquarium, etc. I don't believe in kidnapping animals and keeping them in captivity, or in breeding them to live as exhibits.

However, belugas don't really eat people, he's very well-fed, and he's just fucking with them for fun. I think he's funny, whether he's doing it to make them laugh or scare them to make himself 'laugh.' The third 'boo!' head bop seems pretty clear to me.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
All whales are intelligent. He's not hungry, he's just bored with swimming around and around in a tank. So he's having some fun to relieve the boredom.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Having spent a lot of time around whales and dolphins in the wild, seeing them locked up in aquariums annoys the fuck out of me. I can't watch that video without wanting to do somebody harm.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Whales are quite intelligent, and animal play that isn't related to survival is an acknowledged and well-studied phenomenon, in both captivity and the wild. Unfortunately, that video isn't there anymore (the owner took it down), so I didn't get to see it.

And yeah, belugas don't eat large mammals.

I agree it's really hard to see these creatures spend their lives in an aquarium, unless it's necessary because the animal was sick or injured and can't return to the wild. It's like one of us having to live in a plain, featureless cell with only limited contact with the outside world for the rest of our lives.

Last edited: