Jack Asher

Differently rational
Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing around with book titles and decided I like either:
At Least I Have Chicken
-or-
Your Nose is Shiny

They're both Klingon proverbs*, and I thought I'd let my audience know straight up what they were getting into.
But for anyone outside the demo, if you were looking for a book to make you laugh would you pick up one of those?

*Actually "your nose is shiny" is in the quick phrases section of The Klingon Dictionary, whereas "at least I have chicken"** was never a tkling saying, but was uploaded to the Klingon wiki as a farce.

**"At least I have chicken" is the final retort of Leeroy Jenkins. We're going deep here.

Fun fact, The Klingon Dictionary quick phrase section includes the entry, ghlth vlghlthta'bogh DalaD'a' (will you read my manuscript?)

Last edited:

Jack Asher

Differently rational
Registered
Reaction score
wow, that looks really bipolar up there, doesn't it? Oh well.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak to the Klingon connection, I could never stand more than a few minutes of Star Trek, but the Leeroy Jenkins reference would certainly catch my eye.

pellshek

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know this genre, so comments are on that basis.

Use the phrases if they really suit your book.

But don't use them if you are primarily doing so to entice hardcore fans of the genre who'll get the references. I could be wrong, but my suspicion is that even among genre fans those quotes would be obscure/esoteric, meaning that any benefit you'd derive (from a small number of people "getting" the references) wouldn't be worth the effort if you use them instead of other titles you prefer.

If you don't have other titles in mind and these ones suit your book, go for it. They are quirky, silly and fun. If that's the intention, why not?

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
I've been playing around with book titles and decided I like either:
At Least I Have Chicken
-or-
Your Nose is Shiny

if you were looking for a book to make you laugh would you pick up one of those?
They are odd-ball and different enought that I would at least pick them up and give them a look/read the jacket, etc., so mission accomplished, I think.

the Leeroy Jenkins reference would certainly catch my eye.
I expected some sort of World of Warcraft thing in this thread, to be honest!

Jack Asher

Differently rational
Registered
Reaction score
The Klingons have chicken? Is there a KFC franchise on Kronos?
Jesus wasn't a Klingon, but KLI is still translating the bible into tkling.

But no, someone trolled wikiquote/klingon_proverbs by adding Leeroy Jenkins parting line to the site. It's kind of a nested geek reference. This is particularly true because the magical language that Jack uses in the novel is tkling.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I might look at the blurb for At Least I Have Chicken if the cover caught my eye, although I don't have a particular liking for the title itself...but it sounds like it could be in the realm of genres I gravitate towards.

Your Nose is Shiny doesn't jive with me, for some reason.

(For informational/demographic purposes: I don't know anything about Klingons.)

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only clicked on this thread because At Least I Have Chicken caught my eye, so that's probably a good sign :)

Ditto.

Your nose is shiny wouldn't have gotten me to click. At least I have chicken would probably have wider appeal.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with those who prefer At Least I Have Chicken. I wouldn't get that either is a Klingon saying, and Your Nose Is Shiny could be anything from a book about Rudolph to chick lit about make-up fail.

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Y'know, actually, the whole Leeroy Jenkins clip makes a lot more sense if he IS Klingon. Huh.

I'm wondering what exactly you're trying to signpost for your readers? "Your nose is shiny" wouldn't work for me. If we're going for geek references, "shiny" makes me think Firefly in which case that might be a pickup line? A really bad one?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with those who prefer At Least I Have Chicken. I wouldn't get that either is a Klingon saying, and Your Nose Is Shiny could be anything from a book about Rudolph to chick lit about make-up fail.

haha! yeah, I would have no idea either. I think the number of people who would get the reference would be very small, although if you were writing sci-fi and that was your market... probably more than a general fiction readership. Still, like Pellshek I wonder at the wisdom of using this title SOLELY for the sci-fi geek reference. If it otherwise suits your novel, then great.

If we're going for geek references, "shiny" makes me think Firefly in which case that might be a pickup line? A really bad one?

LOL! Fanfiction plot bunny right there ;)

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
wow, that looks really bipolar up there, doesn't it? Oh well.

Hi! Not a mod, just a member, but it really bothers me when people use clinical mental illnesses as colloquialisms. Would you mind not doing so? Thanks in advance! :D (You might really have bipolar, but if we don't know that it looks like you're using it as a casual label. I appreciate the consideration. :))

As to your title, my vote is with the rest. Chicken all the way. (FWIW, I'm a trekker and I didn't know either of these Klingon sayings, but I like the chicken one anyway and hearing it's Klingon gives it an extra funny to me. ;))

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know this genre, so comments are on that basis.
Whereas, I couldn't even tell what the genre is. Sci-fi? Humor? Star Trek fanfic?

Assuming both suit your novel in some way, "At Least I Have Chicken" is going to be more attention-getting. It's also possibly going to have more people get the joke, since it comes from two sources not just one, thus is more likely that someone somewhere on the internet will explain the title.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I would at least pick up and check out any book with the title, At Least I Have Chicken.

I love Star Trek front to back. Great, great series, and I've watched every episode multiple times, but I have no clue about Klingon language.

asyouwish

Registered
Reaction score
At Least I Have Chicken is a title that would absolutely catch my eye/ear and make me curious enough to find out more about it--no matter the genre.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I can't speak to the Klingon connection, I could never stand more than a few minutes of Star Trek, but the Leeroy Jenkins reference would certainly catch my eye.

No idea it was a klingon reference, even though I watched Star Trek for years. But I had no idea they had chickens. I thought they ate roasted tribbles :D I'd be wondering if Leeroy Jenkisn would fit in. I wouldn't expect a serious book, certainly.

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
For a comedic book, I could see that title working. It captured my attention.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I would go for the Chicken. It would catch my eye.

Shiny would me think chick lit and I'd avoid it like poison.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote here for chicken title. It would have to actually be relevant in some way to the contents though, otherwise I'd feel a bit conned.

Jack Asher

Differently rational
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Not a mod, just a member, but it really bothers me when people use clinical mental illnesses as colloquialisms. Would you mind not doing so? Thanks in advance! :D (You might really have bipolar, but if we don't know that it looks like you're using it as a casual label. I appreciate the consideration. :))
My bipolar disorder is well documented on this very site. And the whole aside was put up there because I was a bit manic when I put up this thread. So if it's okay with you, I'm going to keep calling the bipolar things I do, bipolar.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Hopping on the back of the bandwagon. I'd definitely take a closer look at the Chicken book. Would not pick up the Shiny Nose. (Pick? Pick? See what I did there? *groan* sorry, long day...)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
So we're not talking about WoW? Then good day to you, sir! I said good day!

ETA: A casual reader will not get these references. The cover would have to emphasize the humor and maybe justify the title.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.