The cat in the neighborhood's park may die

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

there was a cat in the neighborhood park. she would snuggle up to everyone. she was mostly a kitten, but not that small, probably an adolescent.

but i guess she was also pregnant cause she had a huge belly.

but today evening when i went to the park, i saw her limping around, an open wound in her left hind leg, she's not opening her eyes, and she's become super thin, like there's nothing left, maybe she gave birth and on course a dog or some other animal attacked the entire family.

tears or some froth is around her eyes, her whiskers are cut randomly, the skin on her head and back is super rough. as if there's no fur and just bones...her back is in arched position...and she seems depressed like she's given up.

i got some milk for her, she drank it but i dont think she will make it through the night. she is just lying the park and crying.

what can i do? there are no animal hospitals in my area. all i can do is give her some milk every evening and hope for her to recover...do any of you guys have any experience with cats who don't open their eyes, have torn whiskers and an open wound...do they recover or will she die?

Last edited:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Contact your local animal society or shelter. Sounds like she needs to see a vet asap.

Other than that, let nature take its course IMHO. Can't save every animal in this world.

Edit: On second thought, she might be wounded but not badly. You can always take her in until she recovers if nothing isn't broken or she doesn't need stitches. A limp can be just a sprain, whiskers are replaced all the time, and being thin is natural for feral cats.

Also, give her canned cat food. Milk can be pretty bad for them--especially since most cats are lactose intolerant.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
As they say, "Where there's life, there's hope." She may die and it's important that you be mentally prepared for that, but I've also seen animals pull through some incredibly bleak situations.

Osulagh has the right idea about contacting an animal shelter. That's definitely the best option.

If that's not possible for some reason, there are a couple of simple things you can do to improve her chances a bit. If she'll let you touch the wound, see if you can smear some neosporin (or generic equivalent) on it, twice a day if possible, but anything is better than nothing. It's OK if she licks it off, at worst it might upset her stomach a bit. Infection will kill her.

Don't try to bandage the wound. A bandage on an outdoor animal is nothing but trouble. It will get wet and dirty and gross, then press all that grossness into the wound (and that's the best case scenario).

Instead of milk, I'd feed her kitten food (as opposed to normal adult cat food, although that's the second-best option). Pregnancy and birth are hard on a cat. If the kittens are alive somewhere and she's feeding them, nursing will also take a toll. Even the most well-fed house cat will lose weight while they're nursing. Kitten food is calorically dense and will help her regain some of the nutrients she lost during the pregnancy. If she's nursing, it will be doubly helpful since those nutrients will be passed to the kittens.

Good luck.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a local animal control officer you can call?

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to send a hug your way. It's always very hard to see an animal in pain.

I second the suggestion on kitten food, and add moist kitten food or mixing the dry food with water -- it helps get her liquids, and most sick cats don't drink enough. Actually, most sick cats curl up into a corner, alone, until they either recover or pass away. In one way, it's good that's she's drinking and meowing for help. In another, it just makes it harder if she doesn't make it. :(

I hope she does.

Hug.

~ Anna

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
It did curl up in some corner. The wound is an open one, there's blood behind the knee. it was licking it.

it drank the milk quickly. even earlier i had a tomcat, i would give it milk for a year until i realized it would attack the other neighbor's cat's kittens.
why would milk be bad for this cat?

there is no cat shelter in this place. in my neighborhood if you have a pet, people say, 'why are you adopting a pet instead of a child?' so most people dont really have pets.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
if you see the picture in my signature, that's the photo of the cat when it was healthy, now it doesnt even open its eyes...i hope it either recovers or passes away. its suffering too much, i have so many more pics of it. whenever i would go near it, it would rub its back against my leg

its night in my country now. the park is also closed so i cant go in and get her. if she survives till tomorrow morning, i'll buy her canned food.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There has to be a vet somewhere. That animal was abused. Take it to get help!

Milk isn't really good for cats. Get her help, she's in pain.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
when i tried to lift her, she tried to bite my arm and began shivering and crying. how do i take her to vet, if i cant even lift her? her body is shivering, as if she might break apart. her skin has become rough, her back is arched.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
It did curl up in some corner. The wound is an open one, there's blood behind the knee. it was licking it.

it drank the milk quickly. even earlier i had a tomcat, i would give it milk for a year until i realized it would attack the other neighbor's cat's kittens.
why would milk be bad for this cat?

Milk is just generally not very good for cats. They like the stuff, but their bodies don't handle it well. It typically gives them gas and diarrhea, which is the last thing you want to deal with when you're already injured and miserable.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
thanks, tomorrow morning, i'll check if it's alive. if it's alive, then i'll buy some kitten canned food for it and call the ambulance.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
when i tried to lift her, she tried to bite my arm and began shivering and crying. how do i take her to vet, if i cant even lift her? her body is shivering, as if she might break apart. her skin has become rough, her back is arched.

You get a large towel or blanket, fold so it's thicker and wrap her in the towel or blanket to be able to pick her up and carry her - this will also help keep her warm; she's having trouble regulating her temperature because she's injured and lost blood. Be GENTLE. She's trying to bite because she was abused, she's terrified, and in pain. She doesn't know you're not going to hurt her worse.

I don't know where you are, but I'm guessing an ambulance isn't going to pick up a cat, unless it's an animal rescue ambulance.

Take her to a vet, first thing. Do NOT go buy food first, get her to a vet, as soon as you can. She shouldn't eat if she's going to have anesthesia soon after.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Never mind. Cornflake said it all.

Last edited:

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
i google searched for a vet in my neighborhood. but it opens tomorrow noon. let's hope the cat survives till then...

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Vets typically have emergency lines, or you can call them and tell them it's an emergency and they'll do what they can.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Generally down here we'd say don't try to move an injured animal, Jaus, unless you really know what you're doing and you're moving it for treatment. You don't really know just by looking what the damage is. Poor little thing. Perhaps google animal rescue? It might be a place to start - even if they're not close enough to you, they might know someone who can help.

Distressing for you, too. :Hug2: I hope it gets resolved quickly.

ETA: Cornflake's advice re feeding is great. Hadn't thought of that.

ETA2: Hate to be rotten, but do remember to ask who will pay for the vet or the treatment and if it is you - set a really strong cut-off. It can be hard to say "that's enough" when options are presented. It's likely that only thing you can do is to minimise the cat's suffering. That's still a kindness.

Last edited:

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the cat is still mobile, there's very little you can do, as expert catching techniques will be required. Milk for cats is bad, as mentioned above. Water for ill cats (any mammal, bird, or reptile) is better; electrolytes are ever better, but good luck dosing that without proper equipment and medical supplies. If nothing else, then cream, or half and half, would be better than straight milk for felines. The rough physical appearance you described is indicative of typical feline fights, or ectopic parasites (fleas and whatnot). Possibly, most likely, there are internal parasites as well. The eye situation is probably a bacterial infection, or possibly a feline virus. I would recommend a warm, protective place—at the least: a cardboard box with a towel as a temporary shelter. If the cat is still alive when the vet's office opens, take care that you're not scratched or bitten in the off chance that other viruses are present (rabies). PM me if you have any other questions.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
I went to the park in the morning searching for the cat but she wasn't there. I guess she passed away and the park maintenance guy must've dumped her body in the bin.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I would check again at a later time. Just because you can't see the cat now doesnt' mean that she has died. Cats are masters at hiding - especially when they're in pain/sick. My cat is the most friendly, social, outgoing little cat I've ever met - he walks on a harness, greets everyone with licks and purrs and gets totally mentally excited at the sound of my car coming up the driveway. But, when he was sick, he would hide under my bed. Cats by nature are less domesticated than dogs and I think nature tells them that when they're sick/in pain they're vulnerable and should hide. I think this would be especially true for a cat who is feral anyway.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went to the park in the morning searching for the cat but she wasn't there. I guess she passed away and the park maintenance guy must've dumped her body in the bin.

Extra hugs. I hope she's just hiding, but if you can't find her in the next day or three... I just really feel for you.

It's a very sad thing to lose an animal you care about.

And know that you did what you could. I'm glad you reached out for help -- I only wish we could have helped more.

~ Anna

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I have nothing else to offer you, jaus tail, except a big hug to you for your caring and kindness. :Hug2:

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
I went in the evening. The cat wasn't there. I hope someone else too it to the vet, though the chances are low. I wish I had google searched 'vet in neighborhood' sooner but then I tried to lift her and was scared cause she was shivering.

Let's hope she is just hiding and some fledgling falls before her to provide for an easy meal.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, I have no idea how but I went to the park to check and the cat was super healthy as if nothing had happened. it wasnt limping, its eyes were green as marble(or ivory or some other metal since ruby is for red, gold is for yellow, i dont know what is green for...)

well i then went patted the cat, it jumped on the bench and began rubbing its head to my palm...i then bought some cat food(Whiskers), it was fish, now my hand is all fish smelly

i dont know how it healed, or perhaps it was some other cat that was limping yesterday since it couldnt have healed in one day...i guess it was some other cat, and perhaps this was the cat that attacked that cat since this cat is super wild and its claws are always out

guess there were twin cats...

i again checked the park for a limping cat but she wasn't there. i gave a look into the garbage but there was no corpse of a cat inside, even asked the maintenance guy, he didnt know anything

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, fascinating. Thank you for the update, jaus tail. I'm relieved this one seems healthy and happy. I feel for the other cat. With all hope it's out of its suffering.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Now my hand is all stinky and yucky. lol, but i was so relieved to see the cat healthy. though i'm sure this wasn't the same cat as yesterday. but the two looked so similar and plus this cat wasn't visible yesterday

other theory could be someone else took the cat to the vet, and healed the cat...maybe there was never an open wound and the blood was of a mouse or some other animal...

someone else took the limping cat to the vet, gave her a shot of pigeon juice and it recovered...

in the cat food i bought, there is food left for one more serving, i'll give it tomorrow, and that's it. wouldnt want the cat to get used to spoon fooding and let go of its hunting desires.