Heavy Ammounts of Fighting in MG? (Does it fly?)

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
As the title says. The recent "violence in MG" thread made me ask this. My main MG story is inspired at least in part by "action-y" cartoons and videogames aimed at kids, such as the Sonic the Hedghog series or Skylanders/Spyro seires...and as a result most conflicts are resolved with fighting. There is a lot, and I mean a lot of battles. Pretty much the default way for the main characters to deal with enemies is to fight them. Robot soldiers? Fight them. The Dark Generals of the evil empire? Fight them. Emperor Sedraxis himself? You guessed it...goes down in a fight.

However, in the "violence in MG" thread there where posts that suggested stories with lots of fight scenes are uncommon in MG...and thus I have made this thread to either confirm that notion or dispell it. In MG is it ok to have a narrative with lots of fights that is simmilar to the kind of action-packed plots you find in some of the videogames and cartoons aimed at kids? Is it ok to have big, flashy fights with explosions and cool superpowers being thrown around on a regular basis in an MG story? Are these things -ok- for children or are they too hard for them to visualize/grasp when placed in a non-visual medium?

Any thoughts/opinions on this would be appreciated!

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Are you reading modern MG novels? The answers you're looking for are all there.

(The answers, by the way, are: yeah, it's fine. It's quite normal for MG to have all of the above.)