Disney-esque story

shibby

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've recently been working on a story for my little girl. It's like a Snow White/Sleeping Beauty style story.

Girl gets into trouble.
Prince comes to rescue.
True loves kiss saves the day.
Happily ever after.
The end.

What sort of word count do you think would be a good target for this sort of story?

Thanks

Shibby

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
What category does it fall into?

Is this a picture book kind of thing? Then try for 200-300 words.
Is it a chapter book for very young readers? Then try for 1000-1500 (or whatever's common in that age range).
Is it an actual middle grade (young child) novel? Then try for 35,000-50,000 words, depending on the target age range you want to entertain.

Maybe you could try the shortest version, then see about expanding it if you aren't satisfied with how it reads at that length.

Stylo

wall gazer extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Shibby,

Depends on the age of your little girl, I guess? I wouldn't get hung up on word counts at all if I were you - she'll love a personalised tale no matter how short/long it is.

I was always making up stories for my girls when they were small - my eldest would say: 'Tell me a story from your mouth' (as opposed to reading her a book), so I guess I have her relentless thirst for 'mouth stories' to thank for my love of writing for kids!

The great thing when writing for your own tribe is you can add in familiar things/people - a small toy cat called 'Beany' used to figure heavily in my stories :D

Hope you have fun with it - my eldest is 21 with her own daughter now, and still remembers the tales I spun fondly :')

Waldo

Cracked the Story Code
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patrickhwaldron.blogspot.com
A story for your little girl? My son loves the Three Little Pigs. He only remembers the three lines that are exchanged when the BBW comes to the door.

So, I would say focus on the lines of dialogue. Is this a story you hope to bring to market? I'm confused.

shibby

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thanks for answering.

Cyia - it's not quite a picture book, but it will have some illustrations. Not quite a chapter book, it's not that long. Not a 30-50K story.

Stylo - I knew somebody would say it depends on the age :p thanks for being the one that did :) Sounds ridiculous, she's not even 1 yet. I love reading and I don't get to see her much due to work. I usually get home when she is about to go down for the night, so I sit and read to her. When she's old enough to understand the stories I'd like to read mine to her.

Waldo - Yes, a story for my little girl. Something I can read to her at night. It is very "Disney" so even if I were good enough to write a story for the market (which I'm not) this wouldn't be the story for it. It's quite cliche, princess gets tricked, needs to be saved by prince blah blah. But it's my own story within the same sort of story line boundaries.

Thanks again all

Shibby

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
And since it's your story, you can switch it up... have the prince falter and need to be rescued by the princess. Much more empowering that way! Have fun with it.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Please please have the princess rescue the prince. Just saying.^^ But its up to you what you want to do.

In my experience with such simpler stories, I usually go for around 1,000 words. This makes it long enough to read, but it's not so long that it would be clunky as a picture book.

I'm learning over time picture book really is, a different sort of writing.

Last edited:

shibby

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for joining in. I'll think about the Prince needing to be rescued, could have some fun with that.

I've got the story at just over 2000 words. Like I mentioned previously my little girl isn't even 1 yet, but I'm planning to read it to her whilst she is young and then hoping to get it made into a book for her for when she is old enough to read it.

I think although it seems like a lot of words it only takes 10-15 minutes (for me) to read through which I feel is a good time frame.

As she gets old enough to read it herself, it'll obviously take her a bit longer than 15 minutes but I'm hoping the story will be interesting enough that she won't get bored and we can read it together and have some fun with it.

Thanks all

Shibby

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thanks for answering.

Cyia - it's not quite a picture book, but it will have some illustrations. Not quite a chapter book, it's not that long. Not a 30-50K story.

I just want to clarify, chapter books are in the 5-10 K range. The numbers you gave are middle grade.

Short stories run up to about 1,000 words. But, the best advice I've heard is what the Blackbird said.