Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Sure but the point of the post I responded to had nothing to with cost, but that an editor wouldn't help the commercial viability of a book.

Sure, but you seemed to think someone was saying every book doesn't have an editor...which wasn't the case. Books get edited once they get acquired.

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
Some of the ideas given are ones that I was thinking, which is good :). I was planning on giving it a week off, then going through as much as I can before starting the next step.

I haven't seen anyone else comment on this, but I generally wait about ~2 months before I do my first big edit. (I just write short stories or start on another project while I wait.) The longer you wait, the better you edit. Stuff you've written a week ago is still familiar--you'll remember why you wrote it, how you felt when you wrote it, and what you were trying to accomplish.

The longer you wait, the greater your chance of going, "Whoa, what was I thinking? That doesn't make sense at all!"

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
How expensive are cheaper editors usually?

About $100-$200 a book, I think, last time I researched about last winter. Google it. There are threads in various forums, including Goodreads. Book-loving retirees for whom this is a hobby more than a career may do it even for like $70, if they like the genre and topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.