Middle Grade Fiction word count.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question - what is the most common wordcount for Middle Grade novels? I have a contemporary MG novel that is currently clocking in at 25k. Is it too short?

zeppelin123

Registered
Reaction score
Most MG novels are in the 20,000 to 40,000 range. However, there is a wide range. I researched publishers for my MG books and a few were looking for books as short as 15,000 words and a few others were looking for over 40,000 words.

I think 25,000 words will be fine for your novel as long as you are able to tell your story well within that length and not rush any parts of it.

I also read somewhere that for first books, publishers are more willing to accept shorter pieces than longer pieces because they are eaiser to sell.

slhastings

Purple pills and Vodka!
Registered
Reaction score
Nim's Island was 22k.

One of mine is 60k. The other will end up being (after I do some revisions) about 50k

Quiet Melody

Registered
Reaction score
JudScotKev:

Thanks for that website. I found it really helpful. I looked up a few books that are similar to the kind of book I'm writing and found them to have a word count of around 30,000.

I had set a goal of 50,000 but currently my story is around 24,000 and I'm almost done. I think my story is going to end up being around 30,000 too.

K.L Hallam

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karenleehallamwrites.blogspot.com
I've finished a younger MG for the 9-12 crowd, and it's more boys centric. and the word count is just over 25K.
It's a light scifi and I'm pitching it to agents now.
I already got a note from one agency, stating that they have more success selling of MG novels at the 40-50k mark.

But the story is all all could tell, at this time. Now if revisions are suggested in the future, I imagine I'll have an easier time adding word count, or extra story arc. Not like my last upper MG, which was 80K words and I chopped it down to 68K. That was tough.

sooshi

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is at 31,500 words for lower middle-grade. It's a light fantasy.