So I wrote a children's book

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
and I have no idea what to do next. I am so overwhelmed by all the info here. I've read several of the stickies but I am still feeling lost.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Torgo - I got a story that will be a picture book. I was super relieved to find out that publishers don't want the art, becuase all I got is text!

Emaree. Ok I wrote it in September. I haven't looked at it since. So I'll look at it this week to revise. Thanks.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Cool! Have you tried breaking it down into pages (probably 14 spreads?) That can really help when revising a pb text.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I will try that thanks. (I assume you mean how it might be laid out.)

Yeah - not precisely where the words are on the page, but which words are assigned to each page. Get reveals working on page turns, look for big 2-page splash illustration possibilities, that sort of thing.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good job, Sass! I hope things go well for you on this! :)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - not precisely where the words are on the page, but which words are assigned to each page. Get reveals working on page turns, look for big 2-page splash illustration possibilities, that sort of thing.
I willl do that, thanks. But isn't that ultimately up to the publisher? (should I ever reach that point.)
I really appreciate your input.

THanks Cella!

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome. And I'll admit up front that I'm going to follow this thread for selfish reasons, but I am genuinely happy for you!:D

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I willl do that, thanks. But isn't that ultimately up to the publisher? (should I ever reach that point.)

If the book's picked up by a publisher, their editor and art director will take a look at that in conjunction with you and the artist. But picture books texts do need to be written with some structure in mind - in this case, the constraints (and the opportunities offered) by the 32pp.

So, see OWL BABIES by Waddell and Benson. Martin Waddell writes a story about anxious baby owls waiting for mummy owl to come home; he ramps up the anxiety up steadily, leavening it here and there, and by 3/4 of the way through the book the reader (and the owls) are on tenterhooks. There's no way Waddell didn't plan the next spread - a glorious swoop across the double page-spread from beautiful mummy owl, with just the words AND SHE CAME. That's the big emotional payoff of the book, so he assigned it a big full-bleed image.

You don't need to be prescriptive, really, just understand the beats and the moments in the story and begin to think about how you can use inbuilt structure of the picture book format - at the most basic, page turn reveals and double-page splashes - to accentuate them.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the book's picked up by a publisher, their editor and art director will take a look at that in conjunction with you and the artist. But picture books texts do need to be written with some structure in mind - in this case, the constraints (and the opportunities offered) by the 32pp.

So, see OWL BABIES by Waddell and Benson. Martin Waddell writes a story about anxious baby owls waiting for mummy owl to come home; he ramps up the anxiety up steadily, leavening it here and there, and by 3/4 of the way through the book the reader (and the owls) are on tenterhooks. There's no way Waddell didn't plan the next spread - a glorious swoop across the double page-spread from beautiful mummy owl, with just the words AND SHE CAME. That's the big emotional payoff of the book, so he assigned it a big full-bleed image.

You don't need to be prescriptive, really, just understand the beats and the moments in the story and begin to think about how you can use inbuilt structure of the picture book format - at the most basic, page turn reveals and double-page splashes - to accentuate them.
thank you! I will get that book. this makes so much sense.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I just ordered it at amazon.

It's great. Beautiful art from Patrick Benson. It even has three owls - Sarah, Percy and Bill - at slightly different ages, so it works brilliantly reading with more than one kid as well.

Waddell is the master, I think, of the 'big hug' book - the anxiety-relieved story. See also Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?, another classic.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score

Quick question: In a case where a writer imagines a double spread, it is okay to mention it in the manuscript? Or should that discussion happen after the book gets picked up.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Quick question: In a case where a writer imagines a double spread, it is okay to mention it in the manuscript? Or should that discussion happen after the book gets picked up.

I like to get picture book texts with the author's sense of the page breaks indicated - just break it up with page numbers. It's generally understood they're subject to change, and they do the job of showing the structure very economically. So Waddell's script for that Owl Babies spread was probably just:

AND SHE CAME
[etc.]

It says he's imagining a double-page spread, it's pretty clear what he's thinking; he doesn't really need an illustration note, right?

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes. That makes sense.

Thanks, Torgo.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Another benefit of mapping out the spreads for yourself, is it forces you to think about what will be illustrated and what won't. You can cut text that describes anything that will be clear from the illustration.

Illustration notes are generally frowned upon unless the text is incomprehensible without them.

I very much recommend going to the library or a book store and looking at picture books. Think about what is written and what is shown. Think about how the author builds tension. Think about what makes the reader just desperate to see what happens on the next page rather than what his big brother is doing on the new video game.

Many structures work for picture books. A good study will introduce you to options and help you decide what is best for your book in progress.

Good luck.

Last edited:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Debbie!
That makes a lot of sense.

I rec'd the Owl Babies book. What struck me is really how simple it is. I think I may need to do exactly what you've said, lay it out to see what would be in the illustration and cut some text. I think I also need to visit the library and read some more children's books. And look at the ones I liked when I was a kid. I just remembered my dad sent me the books that were still at my parents house a few months ago.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Knowonder comes to mind. They seem pretty good. I'll try to think of some more you can submit to directly. Unless you're looking for an agent first?

The Verla Kay Message Boards are good to look into too if you haven't already done so.
http://www.scbwi.org/boards/

Good luck with it!

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
sassandgroove,

You may want to check into picking up a copy of Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market, if you don't already have one. It lists agents and publishers that accept picture books.

Also, check out scbwi.org. You can find workshops and events for children's writers.

Good luck!