Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I've been considering a tertiary project to go along with my primary project (Orknea chronicles), and secondary project (an unnamed scifi novel). This one a horror novel that's in a weird stage between writing, research, and planning. It's really grabbed me, and has me puzzling out the world it takes place in.

But I'm wondering something, especially since all three have clear genres. As a new writer is it possible to successfully publish in multiple genres, or should you stick with one? I know that from a passion stand point it doesn't matter, but how about getting an agent? Can you be successful as a writer with such an eclectic taste in novel crafting?

I don't particularly want to limit myself needlessly, but don't want to make it harder than need be for me to get published. Thankfully these three projects are not combined. So it isn't a case of where the books themselves would go, just where someone would be most likely to find me.

Is it important to pin down your writing genre in order to be a marketable writer?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
We-ell... I'd say finish one book first. Next, I'd say, if your stories are interesting and readable, people will want to read them regardless of the genre. Write the book, let the marketing people worry about the marketing. (Oh - we have self-publishing these days. If you are doing this and you are the marketer, write the book, market it once it's finished. Making lemons from lemonade is a useful skill, so you can market yourself and the genre-free/cross-genre writer ;) )

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
Sci fi and horror make sense coming from the same writer, so readers aren't going to care. Write a romance, and that would be bizarre.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
New writer or not, it's possible to publish in any genre where you can write well enough.

I do, however, think it's a good idea to pick a genre and concentrate everything you have on it until you sell a novel, or give up.

There is no universal rule because we're all different. We each have our own level of talent and skill, but the problem with writing in multiple genres when you first start writing is that it means you're writing less in any one genre.

I think most writers will get farther, faster, by writing three novels in one genre, rather than one novel each in three genres.

Katherine_James

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.onlinewritingjobsguru.com
You could write under separate pseudonyms for each genre.

For example, the urban fantasy series 'The Hollows' is written under the name Kim Harrison.

However, Kim Harrison also writes the traditional fantasy series 'The Truth and Princess' series under the author name Dawn Cook.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it should be too much of a problem for you, as all those project sound like they fall under the umbrella of speculative fiction. Some writers use pseudonyms in that situation. Some don't.

At least you're not like me. I want to write all things speculative for upper MG, YA, and adult age categories.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Jim Butcher wrote a high fantasy and an urban fantasy series, George R. R. Martin writes fantasy and science fiction, C. S. Lewis wrote children's books and non-fiction... I do not think it matters.

You could have pen names for books in different genres but in your case, especially if everything is speculative fiction, I wouldn't bother. Remember, for each pen name, you have to grow a base from scratch. Like, if you were writing children's books and erotic fiction you'd probably want a pen name for each but in this case it'd probably hurt you more than help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.