Is It Too Much To Write A Novel In Which Every Character Is A Genius?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Books 2,3, & 4 of the "Ender's Shadow" series features a large number of geniuses pitted against one another both politically and militarily. It works fairly well (although it's not my favorite of Card's work).

However, in his stories, the geniuses are still the exception rather than the rule. They're viewed as national treasures and a lot of the fun of the story arises from how the (non-genius) governments of various countries choose to utilize or ignore the input of their local Einsteins.

Additionally, even if everyone present is a genius, some will still be more intelligent than others. You'd be raising the average, not eliminating the variability.

Reaction score
Books 2,3, & 4 of the "Ender's Shadow" series features a large number of geniuses pitted against one another both politically and militarily. It works fairly well (although it's not my favorite of Card's work).

However, in his stories, the geniuses are still the exception rather than the rule. They're viewed as national treasures and a lot of the fun of the story arises from how the (non-genius) governments of various countries choose to utilize or ignore the input of their local Einsteins.

Additionally, even if everyone present is a genius, some will still be more intelligent than others. You'd be raising the average, not eliminating the variability.

Ahh...
So, there is even more depth to this discussion, after all.

I love your Orson Scott Card examples. I never read past Ender's Shadow.

True story:

Two weeks ago, I was in my doctor's office and I started talking to him about books that were good. So, he asks me, Who is you favorite author I told him, I loved Ender's Game. Ever heard of it?

He says, Isn't that the one from Orson Scott Card?
I blurted out, I never would have thought that a professional like you would take to this kind of literature. Don't you, more, lean towards non-fiction?

Says he, Oh, no. I know the Cards. We are from the same neighborhood. I went to school with his daughter!

Who would have thought?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
From past experience if you call a local University and ask to speak to someone in a particular department they will be more than willing to speak with you. Most are more than willing to provide insight. Especially student teachers. If they start to get goofy and ask you to sign a release, contract etc. I would say it's time to go and speak to another person. The story structure and plot will impact its success.

Don't do this.

Academics are not at your beck and call. They've got a specific job to do and responding immediately to questions from writers is not it. If you do approach faculty at your local uni, I'd suggest an email first, outlining what you're doing and what sort of information you need. Keep it short. Don't panic if it's not answered straight away. Often people will respond favourably. If they don't, then drop it and move on.

My 2c worth.

Reaction score
Don't do this.

Academics are not at your beck and call. They've got a specific job to do and responding immediately to questions from writers is not it. If you do approach faculty at your local uni, I'd suggest an email first, outlining what you're doing and what sort of information you need. Keep it short. Don't panic if it's not answered straight away. Often people will respond favourably. If they don't, then drop it and move on.

My 2c worth.

Another gem from a voice of experience! This sounds like pertinent advice.

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
The "but we know lots of people who aren't geniuses so this will be unbelievable" point is weak. There are lots of situations where a book could be populated entirely by exceptionally intelligent people. Brilliance Academy for brilliant people only. World's smartest humans recruited to begin lunar colony. Infinite astronaut beach party.

So yes, I think you can have a book full of geniuses. With two caveats:

1. Your geniuses cannot be flawless. And their flaws can't just be "brilliant but ugly" or "brilliant but kinda rude." Everybody has blind spots. Genius means inspired, it does not mean 0 stumbling blocks.

2. Your geniuses cannot be intellectually identical. Because then it's not a book about geniuses, it's a book about clones. Unless your premise is literally a bunch of genius clones, in which case disregard this bit.

Last edited:

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know...

Hi, everyone!
I seek some advice. Is it possible to write a novel in which every character, minor or major, is a genius in always coming up with solutions?

I mean like, every character would be able to perform MacGyvers to counter each other, or, having the genius of Sherlock Holmes, against Professor Moriarty?

I find that, in the story that I am outlining, I need some resolutions of something mind-blowing at every fourth scene. But, I am not strong in Physics and so cannot calculate trajectories, probabilities and other super-logical maneuvers to save the day. I wish I could extrapolate things from electro-magnetism, but, I don't understand the science. I would love to harvest the many features of volcanism, the Strong Force and the Weak Force, quantum mechanics and astral navigation, etc.

How would my fellow AW's approach this problem?

I love reversals, puzzles, scientific surprises, exploiting natural phenomena to resolve difficulties. Can I go to some specific source to bulk up on all these things?

I guess I am asking for some knowledge sources akin to the abilities of Eoin Colfer's 12 year old genius boy hero, Artemis Fowl.

No; I wouldn't do that though you can try if you want to :)

Even authors who write futuristic stories with advanced technology and genius individuals still place some not so bright characters into their story (yes, i know your story focuses on puzzles. I was just making a point).

It throws away the unique aspect of each character away. Unless you're characters were from an academy that only accepts bright characters but even then all your characters would be on different levels of intelligent, or how hard they work.

If it were me, I would approach this situation by putting all my characters on a table, and using their personalities and how they will develop, pick which ones will be geniuses (1-2). I'd then pick characters and figure out their level of intelligence.

But like I said, go for it if you think you can make it work and make it believable.

As for a source, if you love puzzles, why don't you find some complicated puzzles and solve them? Then use your favorites. I'm not interested in puzzles too much (except riddles, but I need those for my story) so I can't help you with sources :(

Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.