Bookstore / Library -why did you pick up that novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I was at the library to get a cookbook - that's all. Quick in and out. I already have 2 novels at home checked out to read.

But - the "new books" shelf lured me over ... I picked up one that was face out. First because the bright cover design reminded me of another book but was not quite the same ... Then because the title was intriguing (The Good Luck of Right Now) ... Then I checked the back cover - just reviews - So onto the inside jacket and the blurb there sealed the deal. Carried it to the check out.

I wasn't looking for a novel, don't know this author - but there ya go. It caught me.

What makes you pick up a book, and what makes you want to read it? I just realized I *always* read a few pages, but I didn't with this one. The premise was enough.

(I know we've talked about this before, but it's been awhile. New folks here now. New opinions.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I use the library primarily to try new writers for free, and to read a couple of dozen periodicals. So I pay little to no attention to teh covers. I go in with a list of names of writers I haven't tried. My reader friends suggest some, the bestseller lists suggests others.

I do wander the nonfiction stacks at random, but the books are almost always spine out, so it's the title that grabs me. I've found some of my favorite reading just wandering through the nonfiction stacks reading titles, usually without even knowing which section I'm in.

The trouble with library books is that I already have thousands of books at home that I haven't read. This is fine, but library books have a due date, so I feel obligated to read those first, which means I don't read one of my own books nearly as often as I should. The TBR stacks and piles and boxes and shelves just keep getting bigger and bigger.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Almost all the books I buy (haven't used the library for a while) I choose based on reviews, or because I've read the author before and liked his/her books. Or because they're really, really cheap. I rarely get books just because of the cover or title or blurb.

Though I did randomly pick up Come, Thou Tortoise in the bookstore, probably because of the cover, and then I liked the blurb, and ended up loving it. But that was probably four years ago, and I can't think of the last time I picked up a book for similar reasons.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Covers and selected areas of the store/library decide what I check out. I don't even bother with the blurbs, or the inside flaps and all that, I just hit the first page to see if anything clicks, then I might flip through it and see if I like it or not.

I'm kind of like James with the library situation. Mostly, when I'm unsure of a new author or a book--after the online preview, if there is one--I'll see if any of the nearby libraries have a copy.
I DO buy books that I have enjoyed, or from authors that I do like--even after reading through a series at the library. That's why I have several shelves, and a large file on my tablet, of books that are untouched but I've already read them.

Physsica

Planning a return trip to earth.
Registered
Reaction score
I find my favorite authors in the library and pick up books on either side of them. If the title and blurb look interesting, I'll take it.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
For me, if a cover or title catches my eye I'll look at the back blurb. If it loses me on the back blurb I don't read. If it keeps my interest, I'll generally do a quick look up of the book for opinions. If it has at at least average reviews I may check it out. The better opinion of reception I can find the more likely I am to buy or choose to read. I never read pages.

Otherwise, I base my choices on recommendations.

Trip F.

Registered
Reaction score
I pick up things at near random. Sometimes it'll be good cover art, other times it'll be a catchy title. I'm also attracted by both really good and really bad sounding back covers. The bad ones make me wonder how somebody made a story out of them, the good ones make me wonder what the story is like.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been to a library since I owned a Gameboy Advance, so I always buy mine. But what attracts me to them is foremost the subject, then the cover if it's eye-popping enough, then I look at the blurb. If I like that, I buy it. I don't bother checking reviews first nor consider the testimonials on the back (I don't even understand why authors bother with that–BUT, if I got a testimonial from J.K. Rowling herself, you bet your ass I'm putting it on there. Maybe its just the bragging rights then.) and all that hype.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I usually find books through searching for them on Goodreads. I also get recommendations here on AW. Occasionally, I'll pick up something that looks interesting when I'm at the library. I'm too poor at the moment to afford buying books.

I'll have to make up for that when I actually have money.

MagicWriter

Attack of the Hurricane Turtles!
Registered
Reaction score
I can't go up to anything where there is books. I am the Free Little Library Vampire. The Resort Book Collection Thief. The Medical Library Escapee. I can't go into B&N without spending 20 minutes scanning bar codes into Goodreads. Last time I went to a furniture store, I asked the sales rep if he minded if I take home one of the deco books, it was full of little short stories. What can I say. I love books. :tongue

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Method

I have a couple methods; facebook has a section for books so I look through the books and when i find something interesting, I click on the book and read its back cover on the books page.

If I like it, I add it to the "Want to Read List" and wait for summer (as a university student, the only thing I have time to read in between papers and exams are books :( ) so I can take the books out of the library and read them.

Or, I go on goodreads.com and find interesting books. I always read the back cover before I decide whether or not I want to read it. Personally, that's the only thing that matters.

Sometimes I will look up authors and check out books that way on goodreads.

That's how I find books ^^

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
Book or e book, I always read the book description first, then immediately go to the first page (or download the sample into my Kindle). I have to read the first few paragraphs and/or pages to see if the book catches my interest and if I enjoy the writer's voice.

With a physical book I'll pay attention to the cover illustrations (don't know why, I guess subliminally I want to have that connection). If it's an ebook (and most of my purchases are) I will check out the rating and read some reviews--especially the lowest rated ones. I want to see why someone did not enjoy the book. If the reviewer mentions the book contains typos or grammatical errors, it's an immediate No.

When I enjoy a book, I'll read everything else that author has written.

Status
Not open for further replies.