Do mobile phones work on the subway?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Some subways and road tunnels have cell phone antennae inside them, but without the equipment cell phones do not work in subways.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
They do on ours, but the carriers specifically set it up that way. Before they expanded their service the reception was bad to nonexistent.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I was wondering if cell phones could get a signal down there in the tunnels.

Signals from the outside generally don't reach, but they can "wire" a subway for cell phone signals (as it were).

But that's system-specific. You probably need to do some research for the particular subway you're interested in knowing about.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Signals from the outside generally don't reach, but they can "wire" a subway for cell phone signals (as it were).

But that's system-specific. You probably need to do some research for the particular subway you're interested in knowing about.

I'm writing a short story about a generic ride on the subway. I've spent most of my subway riding days in Boston (the T) but I couldn't really remember if cell phones would work in the tunnels.

So since my story takes place in a unnamed city, I guess I just really needed to know if it was even possible for another passenger to be chatting on their cell phone during a ride. It sounds like it would be.

Thanks all who responded so quickly!

JoeHill

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a short story about a generic ride on the subway. I've spent most of my subway riding days in Boston (the T) but I couldn't really remember if cell phones would work in the tunnels.

So since my story takes place in a unnamed city, I guess I just really needed to know if it was even possible for another passenger to be chatting on their cell phone during a ride. It sounds like it would be.

Thanks all who responded so quickly!

Ah, the T is a fine subway system.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score

AFAIK, cell phones don't yet work in the New York City subway system (underground stations and tunnels). So anything in your story resembling that system (eg a dude wearing a Yankee cap or a woman carrying a cronut bag) might cause trouble.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
AFAIK, cell phones don't yet work in the New York City subway system (underground stations and tunnels). So anything in your story resembling that system (eg a dude wearing a Yankee cap or a woman carrying a cronut bag) might cause trouble.

They do in some stations now; the city has been rolling out more and more.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Chicago had a bid process for carriers to put microcells in the underground portions of its public transit system.

So the answer to a generic question is a big, hardy, "maybe yes, maybe no!"

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
In Chicago, you can sometimes get phone reception, depending on where you are underground, but there's no data signal, even on the platforms.

More specifically, yes, I've received calls while underground and reception is fine. Sometimes they get cut off though. :)

Last edited:

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Also worth noting that not all subways actually stay underground. If they're crossing rivers or the like, many sections of subway may come up aboveground for stretches.

(Not to mention the El in Chicago, which is entirely up in the air . . .)

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Not on the London Underground - yet. There has been some talk of putting signal repeaters in down there, but I suspect it'd only work in the stations, not the tunnels. We have Wifi in a lot of stations at the moment, so you could conceivably do VOIP calls?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen folks talking to their phones in NYC stations. Pretty sure I've used mine in Penn, though on the LIRR.

I want to say I've seen folks use phones in Philly too.

Texting may work where calls don't go through. Just a thought.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know they have for about ten years on the DC and Atlanta subways, or at least AT&T did.

ETA: On second thought, I'm not so sure about Atlanta. I can't think of when I'd been on it since I started using a cell phone.

Last edited: