Cauterizing

srgalactica

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to post two questions in one night, but I figured this one needed it's own thread. I have read the previous cautery threads, but I'm still a bit unsure.

My character gets her pinky finger cut off at the knuckle closest to the palm. No stump. Is it better to cauterize, or to stitch in this case? Also, what cleaning methods might be used and would they be used before AND after cauterizing or stitching?

This is a fantasy novel. The healer involved can make salves (magic) and such to speed the healing some and to reduce the possibility of infection, but not to completely heal the injury.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It wouldn't make any difference. There are no major arteries there, so sewing and cautery wouldn't serve any purpose.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
How would a wound like that heal? Just bandage it, keep it clean and wait?

These days, I'd clean it, slap on tape, and leave until it heals, which probably would take about two weeks; although the tape could come off a week, because the skin would be healed.

Nightingale

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it would need cleaning. The type of treatment would depend on the type of wound...cut off with a meat slicer? That would most likely leave a smooth edge, a hacksaw...not so much. Yes, it would need to be sewn up otherwise you leave bone exposed which can in turn lead to osteomyelitis. Cauterizing could be used if stitching was not an option, pull the skin over the bone and use cauterizing to "smelt" the edges together. It depends on what you want to happen.

Last edited: