How Much Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
I've also found that it's best for me to avoid (as best I can) focusing on the micro stuff before getting through the macro stuff. I've spent so many hours and days getting sentences and paragraphs "just right," then chopping them later. I also agree, though, that there's learning in all of it--even in writing the stuff that eventually gets chopped.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
It takes as long as it takes. I've been working on my first novel on and off for about 20 years and finally signed a contract with a publisher today. A long time coming!

Congratz!

This gives me hope. I'm revising my first novel and at the 18 year mark or so. It's slow going for me because my time is limited. Meanwhile, I've become a much better writer and done other projects. This encourages me to keep believing.

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
It's been 10 years since I first got the idea for my first novel. I'm still in the midst of draft #2.5. On the other hand, I have novels that I started for NaNoWriMo, between oen and three years ago. All of those are still in their first draft. There's nothing that says that you have to bang you a novel in certain time. Go at your own pace. Though, yes, I agree that it can be frustrating. Part of me desperately wants to be done with Novel #1.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I have something I've been working on for six years, simply because it's been enjoyable. Developing those characters, until they feel like they could breath. Feeling, smelling, and hearing their alien world. Working passages over and over, until they sing. The story has been an obsession of mine. In a way, I'll be kinda sad when it finally escapes.

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
Hello AWers,

So I've been working on a project for about a year- year and a half on and off now. I really put a lot of energy into this particular project, and I know that this is the story I need to tell. But why does it feel like I take so much longer to write a novel-length story? I'm 30,000 words in, which is big for me. In 4 months I maybe wrote about 20,000 of those words. This is because I wrote and deleted a lot of the first draft. I was at about 50,000, but I cut most of it. When i look at it that way, it makes sense. 20,000 words in 4 months isn't terrible for me. But working on the same project for a year seems a bit much. When is it too much time spent on a project? This is a YA fantasy. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I guess that's part of it. I delete a lot as I go along. I am trying to find ways to reboot it which hasn't been too bad. But I still feel slow time-wise. Does anyone have any advice? Suggestions? Comments? Thanks!

Is it your first novel? I found that it took me ages to find my feet and write my first novel, but then after that I was able to write much quicker for my second one

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
thank you for all your comments. they were very helpful and put things into perspective for me. Sorry it took me a while to respond. I had a post all written out and my computer erased it. (blah!)

But how many other projects have you finished since starting that 1970 book? It really isn't when you start a book, or the date you finish it, it's how many hours you actually spend working on that project.

I know a writer famous for taking five years to write what are always fairly short books. In reality, what he actually does is spend four and a half years procrastinating, and then writes the book in six months. It just sounds better to have his fans think he actually works on that book everyday for five years.

We all write at different speeds, but writing is the key. Not many can write a novel in a month, though I suspect this would change if enough money were offered, or if someone held a gun to their head, but it's actual writing time that matters, not the start and completion date.

James, this sounds like the problem I'm having. Putting things off for a few months at a time, then going back to the project and writing a good quantity of it. I keep trying to come back to it a few days a week at least. I am seeing progress, but very slow progress.

Hah, slow. You don't know what slow is.:D It took me many years to write my first novel. I'm not satisfied whatsoever with the write-it-all-out-and-edit-it-later method. I can't move on until I'm content I've done the best I can at the time. For me it saves having to deal with filling plot holes and managing cuts and character changes etc. later that may create an even bigger mess once the entire manuscript is written.

I've already discarded several scenes from my current WIP. I found them interesting and fun to write but they didn't serve the plot as well as they should so they're gone. If I'd left them in and built up the rest of the story from that point, there would be extraneous material all through the balance of the manuscript because of it - a total waste of time.

My advice is to write in a way that satisfies your creative mind. If you write best by simply getting it all down and fleshing out and cutting later, then do that. If you write best when you're satisfied first before moving on, then do that.

Thank you for your comment Ishtar! This is similar to how I work. I write scenes that come to me, then connect the dots and expand them. I like having an almost-polished project when I'm done writing. Also, your comment "write in a way that satisfies your creative mind" is a very good insight. I have this creative need and if I don't express it, I just don't know what to do with myself. That's how I know this is a project worth doing.

I've been working on my project for almost a year now, and I'm only nearly finished with the first draft.
My main problem is fatigue and holding attention. I write a lot in a short period of time, then take days or weeks off before the next bout of writing. I get excited by other ideas then force myself to return to the one I have so much invested in already.
I want to write more consistently without getting fatigued, especially because I know I have many drafts ahead of me.

I agree that you don't really know what's right for the story until it's done. Fixing everything preemptively is often a waste of time because just finishing the story will bring to light even more problems. You never know if the character you spent so long to revise and build a voice will need to be cut out by the end.

Skye, fatigue is a huge problem for me, too. Which is probably why I put off writing for months at a time. I get distracted with life, work, etc, and I'm just too tired after all that to force myself to sit at the keyboard and write. Even though I really want to, I'm just tired. But I'm trying to make more of an effort.

Love, I can totally relate to that feeling of having a story in you that you just NEED to get out. That's how I was with my project. Good for you for sticking to it!!

Thank you so much for the confidence boost, Fullon. I really appreciate it.

I guess the real question is, how often are you writing in those 4 months where you wrote 20,000 words? If you wrote every day in those four months, then that's awesome. Is it slow? Maybe. But who cares if you're making progress and sticking with it and repeatedly coming back to the keyboard. If you're writing a few days a week, then that's probably why it seems you are taking a good amount of time to reach your ending. I guess it just depends what you want out of this whole writing experience. Some people could write 20,000 words in a week. It would take me about two months. It took you four months. Nothing wrong with any of that, because the one who did it in one week, may have three months of revisions on their hands. You may not. Perfectionism may lead you to more polished first drafts. However, the main emphasis here should be that you are in fact in a writing routine where you are writing consistently. Doesn't matter how many words, it just matters that you are doing it.

Is it your first novel? I found that it took me ages to find my feet and write my first novel, but then after that I was able to write much quicker for my second one

Australian River, I guess you could call it my first novel. I wrote a "novella'-esque story when I was a freshman in college (I am now two years out of college) and after creative writing classes, and reading widely, I realize what a flop that was. It was maybe at 30-50k, and a mess. I considered it as a first novel, but now I know it was just plain writing practice. For me, this feels like my first novel. I feel like I have more tools and experience to write this. And I guess that's true, that with practice perhaps this pace thing will get easier.

TaliaCele

Champion of the Oxford Comma
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theaccidentaltypist.blogspot.com
I'm assuming you have a life, too, right? I've been writing my novel for seven years. I also have a day job, a husband, and two kids. And, like you, I edit like crazy WHILE I'm writing. Hang in there!

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
Its good to know that others are in the same boat too. I started writing this book my first year in high school and even though I finished it a few months after graduating college. It was easier writing in in high school though...less happening in my life.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I tend to get frightened if I don't work consistently. Every day I don't write I'm not taking a step towards my dream, so that fear keeps me working.

Status
Not open for further replies.