How to Boost my Word Count

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
I have had the same issue. What I did was send my book to a few beta readers. Their feedback was very interesting, they felt like I positively rushed past just about everything in the entire novel. Not just description, though that was too sparse. I also didn't really let the events unfold naturally. I wasn't letting my characters immediately react, then act, then process.

For me, this was about not having faith in my writing and being able to create an interesting character/world for the reader to fall into. No idea if this is what's up with you, but thought I'd offer my experience.

TaliaCele

Champion of the Oxford Comma
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theaccidentaltypist.blogspot.com
First of all, thanks to everyone for your awesome feedback. I just want to be clear, at 35K, I have not finished my first draft. I have probably a third of the story that I still need to write. So, it's not quite as bad as being done at 35k words. I really appreciate all of these responses!

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
... they felt like I positively rushed past just about everything in the entire novel. Not just description, though that was too sparse. I also didn't really let the events unfold naturally. I wasn't letting my characters immediately react, then act, then process.

This.

One of the real common pacing problems with an early draft. Rush, rush, rush. Get through that scene and check it off. Never time for the reader to settle down into what's happening before they're dragged away.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I am constantly seeing people complain about their books being "too long." This is a concept I am totally unfamiliar with. My novel (sort of a women's literary fiction) is outlined, and I have written 35k words. But as I see it, I need to (at the very least) double that. My style of writing is pretty minimalist, and it is really a character-driven story. I'm not big on lengthy descriptions of a room. Any suggestions on how I can "boost" word count without it being fluff? Any exercises that have helped you? Thank you!

It's possible that what you're missing is not description but story. And that can include sub-plots, but your main story may be thin as well. Or just naturally resolved at novella length.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
This.

One of the real common pacing problems with an early draft. Rush, rush, rush. Get through that scene and check it off. Never time for the reader to settle down into what's happening before they're dragged away.

so true ....

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
What you are writing are novellas, and nothing wrong with that. Why not three or four and package them together? (All revolving around a common theme, or character, or location?)

Edit: Ahah, I see that you are not finished with the novel. So just keep going ... you will prob. end up with a novel about 75 to 90 K, a good length for most genres.

Last edited:

Augusta

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Talia --

I know that sometimes with my first draft I rush things, and write something that is in between an outline and a novel. It helps me keep the momentum going because I want the plot points to happen as soon as I figure them out. Then I go back, flesh it out, and slow it down. Everyone has a different process and that seems to work for me. I wouldn't worry about it until you finish the draft -- just plow ahead! Good luck!

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
My advice is along the lines of tko's.

Chase your MC into a tree. Then have it rain. Then throw rocks at him/her. Just when they start to climb down, attack 'em with a band of wild dogs. Keep upping the stakes, in other words. Enrich the story with how the MC reacts to all of this and how they grow personally, how their views and opinions change as a result of what they experience. I could go on and on...which is why I have the opposite problem with word count.:e2writer:

ItsJess

Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes have this problem too. I usually don't outline so much in the beginning, I get bored with outlining, so I tend to rush into things and then come out with a relatively short word count. But, like others have mentioned, it makes sense to work on plot development/character development after getting that first rough draft out, because that is where things are probably lacking.

TaliaCele

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you all, again, for your support. I've put so much into this so far, and I would just hate for something like word count to get in the way of it moving forward.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, indicating that you weren't done yet would have been important. Often things don't wrap up as quickly as you think and even then, you still have to go back and revise. You won't have any idea what your word count is until you're done.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all, again, for your support. I've put so much into this so far, and I would just hate for something like word count to get in the way of it moving forward.

It sounds like you're worried that wordcount is your biggest barrier to publication, as if there is some magical threshold over which publication is a surer thing.

I don't think it works like that. Wordcount is a yardstick, and that yardstick differs by genre because it is used to give an indication of two things: plot complexity and scene building.

It's a very inexact yardstick, to be sure. A 90k novel could have the simplest plot in the world, and a very rich and complex inner life that makes it a compelling read. A 120k fantasy novel can have a really complex plot and not enough world building. But in the end it all comes down to what the reading public expects in a genre, and what they'll buy.

Wordcount isn't any indication whatsoever of the quality or publishability of your novel. It may indicate it's not fleshed out enough, or the plot isn't complicated enough, or that you actually just have a novella. But adding wordcount does not ipso facto add quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

TaliaCele

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It sounds like you're worried that wordcount is your biggest barrier to publication, as if there is some magical threshold over which publication is a surer thing.

No, obviously. What I am saying is that, all else being worthy of publication, I wouldn't want word count to stand in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.