G'Day

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
So, how's tricks, everyone?

Still no job for me. But, I have 3 WIPs I'm working on now. One that I'm a little more than a quarter through, but I'm putting on hold to do the other two because the ideas are just so awesome.

I also went for my Navy physical and passed everything. I just need two waivers and I'm in. Waiting on them now, but my recruiter says they should go through in a week or so. Can't wait. Crossing my figures.

Cliff Face said:
I've now been in the new job for 3 weeks. It's going pretty well so far. :)

Congrats. :D

Cliff Face said:
Yesterday one of the workers told me that I shouldn't call for backup at the register unless there are 5 people waiting in line, as opposed to the 3 the other worker told me... Apparently that first worker who said 3 is generally disliked for the fact that she will call for backup when it's something she could've handled in a few minutes anyway.

There's also the possibility that the second worker is just lazy and is trying to get you to call him less frequently.

Hey Cliff,

I've been sick. it feels like I've been sick since the start of august, with one thing or another, and I'm well and truly over it.

Get better!

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
I attended a wedding on the weekend, so that was neat. Otherwise just trying to keep writing in between increasing hours at work.

Hope you get better soon, tarkine, and I hope Cliff you're able to find some balance at work.

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear the job is going well Cliff. I hate being told different things by people at work, but if I'm standing in a queue waiting to be served (with toddler in tow) then I hate waiting.

Because usually I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to pick up one thing in a shop, putting back fifty things and have walked/run up every isle trying to catch aforementioned toddler. :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
PoP - sorry about the lack of a job. But that's good news with the Navy! :)

Froley - weddings are awesome, aren't they? Such a merry occasion, and usually an open bar. :tongue And thanks for the well wishes for my job balance. :)

Tim - Spring has come in fits and starts here in Adelaide. First it was hot, then it was rainy, then it was windy, then the combinations started... Today started off cool, then got cold, and by the time I finished work, it was quite warm. Silly weather.

Tarkine - I hear ya! Thanks for the well wishes. Today at work the back-up register was switched off early for some reason, and within 5 minutes I had 10 people waiting to be served. There was just nothing for it but for them to have to wait... It kind of sucked, and I kept telling people, "Sorry for the wait!" as sincerely as I could.

:)

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Yep it's spring here too.. About time. I was getting sick of the long, cold winter.

Cliff - having worked a cash register before, I know how shitty it can be, so I usually joke with the person about how it's like wrestling an octopus or herding cats with kids at checkout lines. Fortunately, I think the reasoning coin has just dropped in Master 2's head so now I can reason with him - maybe not reason, maybe bribe is the right word :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, bribe definitely.

Take this for example:

I had a couple with a kid come up with some kid's stuff at the register. They saw some kids books on the counter that I was working with. She was a well-behaved kid (at least at that point) so they sort of smiled and said, "Yeah, we'll give her this too."

Then I had a woman with 2 boys who were acting out. She decided to not buy some things that they wanted.

Bribes work both ways, it seems. ;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm definitely getting more comfortable in my job role. Today, within the first 5 minutes of being there at the register, I wound up having long, joking conversations with 2 separate customers about a minute apart.

Who knew I could be comfortable with strangers? If you'd told me that when I was in High School I would've laughed sardonically...

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm definitely getting more comfortable in my job role. Today, within the first 5 minutes of being there at the register, I wound up having long, joking conversations with 2 separate customers about a minute apart.

Who knew I could be comfortable with strangers? If you'd told me that when I was in High School I would've laughed sardonically...

way to go Cliff :D

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just was treated to a nice bipolar rant from my mum this morning. That's exactly what I need after waking up from only a few hours sleep. A rambling threat filled with misplaced and random anger directed at me for no reason.

You'd think from what she said that I'm purposely not getting hired anywhere. That I'm writing "please don't hire me" on the bottoms of all my applications. That I <3 being completely broke. Apparently, if I don't have a job in 19 days, I'm homeless.

Lovely.

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
PoP, hang in there. *hugs*

You'll hear back from the armed forces soon :D

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Halloween you Aussies!

Hope none of you are stuck in airport terminals thanks to Qantas!

Just got the first hardcopy proof of my book. Woohoo!

Torn between writing and gardening at the moment, well it's not much of a tear, because after our long winter, I can't stay out of the garden.

Take care
xo

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Update. I moved halfway across the country for a job (and one in my field too). So now I'm employed full time and live in my own apartment in a town with two traffic lights. Huzzah.

Still waiting on the Navy though.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the job, PoP! I hope you like it where you are now. :)

On the job front, my Christmas Casual position has taken a sinister turn... Basically, next Sunday there's a Christmas Pageant down the street where I work. And today my boss informed me that I'll be the one standing out the front of the shop in a stupid costume attracting business...

It's just a Pageant gimmick, but it sucks that I got volunteered for it. :( I'm not averse to getting dressed up in costumes, however... It's a foam suit, and it's going to be hot as that day, so I'm going to be sweating buckets and stinking to high heaven.

Plus, I have to be super nice to children. Note: I don't particularly care for children.

*sigh*

I'm not even getting paid extra for it.

In other news, next year I'm going to Uni. Woo!

imogenenix

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imogenenix.com
Hi guys - another Aussie here. I noticed you are all talking about Spring but for me it is already as good as Summer *sigh*

Anyway I have 2 stories on the go with Secret Cravings, 1 WIP and one ready to edit.

Amberly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
caswebb.wordpress.com
Hello all

I just read a few posts from people looking for work - I know most of the South Coast NSW is about to hire for Christmas. A sea change could be fun!

On another note I've been considering joining a writers group. Does anyone have any suggestions. They don't seem to be big in Australia and my local group is more like an outing for oldies ( no offense intended if anyone here is in those golden years ) but I really am after something that builds some professional development. Would love to hear from anyone with personal experiences or their own impressions.

Cheers

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been a member of a writer's group... Sorry. I'm no help.

Oh, and down here in South Australia, the shops did their Christmas hiring about 2 months ago. That's how I got my current job. :) (We'll see if it turns into an ongoing thing or not...)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
my Christmas Casual position has taken a sinister turn... Basically, next Sunday there's a Christmas Pageant down the street where I work. And today my boss informed me that I'll be the one standing out the front of the shop in a stupid costume attracting business...*sigh*

( ... )

In other news, next year I'm going to Uni. Woo!

Hooray for Uni!!! You'll have a wonderful time - what are you studying?

Also, I think I speak for the group when I say we want photos of you in the pageant suit. :tongue

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be studying a Bachelor of Arts, doing a double Major in Creative Writing (surprise surprise :tongue) and Philosophy.

Hopefully Philosophy will give me enough of a thinky hit to satisfy my internal nature. :)

I already own 2 philosophy books, actually. I've only read 1 of them so far, but I liked what I read. I initially thought it was a science book (it's the philosophy of science as a subject matter) and was really struggling with it, even though I love science, but when I realised it was actually philosophy, everything just clicked.

Good thing too, because I really wasn't sure what I wanted my minor/2nd Major to be for this degree until that point. :)

And no pictures of my humiliation! Nevah!!!

Amberly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
caswebb.wordpress.com
Congrats on Uni Cliff, from what I've found some Unis have great writers groups so I'm a bit jelious. For future job prospects I'd hint (at the risk of sounding like a mum) that you take philosopy as a minor and also do I minor in English. Many English subjects compliment creative writing and if you pick up a degree year in education you can get good money as an English teacher (teaching has great hours for a writer!)

But you can always play around with that sort of thing after your first year.

Which Uni has snatched you up?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Flinders University in South Australia. :)

As for teaching... Well, I'm open to teaching Uni students, but most certainly not Primary or High School students!!!

Teenagers hate me, without fail, for some reason, and I don't like young children, especially spoiled kids who like to throw tantrums.

But Uni students... Well, they're there by their own choice. They're a bit more mature. It should result in fewer confrontations and less drama overall.