G'Day

Racey

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*packs bags for Melbourne*

Uh, I can claim the flights on my taxes right? Provided I make a little money from writing? :D

*prints copy of TEC, binds it, and slaps a price tag on it, takes it to the festival*

There. No problem.

I'm no tax expert, at all, but I'll say yes lol ;)

:tongue

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
:)

Ugh, I need to do a whole bunch of homework today. Not really in the mood for it... But, if I can get a lot of it done today, then I'll have cut down maybe 1/4 or so of my remaining homework commitments for the semester...

Basically, polishing 2 assignments and doing the prep work for a third.

After that? Some readings for the next few weeks, coming up with comments for about 8 short stories (workshopping weeks in the creative writing class), 2 300-word assignments, writing the essay I'll be prepping today, polishing it, editing a short story and writing a reflective statement for it, doing a philosophy essay in total (it's not due for quite some time, so it's low on my priority list right now), and studying for 2 exams.

LOL, it sounds like a lot, but it's getting smaller every day. I think it's reached that point where I can see a percentage progress for every small task I do. :tongue Anyway... If I can get a bunch done today, then I'll be a lot less stressed, and will feel that I can get the rest done in the remaining weeks.

*overloaded*

I'm glad I'm only doing 3 subjects next semester!

Graham Clayton

Registered
Reaction score
I have never read HP either. I've seen a couple of the movies. My oldest child is 7 so I will probably read them in the next couple of years as I'm sure he'll want to read them eventually. At the moment I have him working through Roald Dahl's work.

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum - I've never read any HP books, but my wife and I saw one of the movies at the cinema a few years ago.

We had a Lord of the Rings marathon at home, watching the first 3 movies on DVD back-to-back.

ChrisElfy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Another Australian here to swell the ranks. We'll conquer the world one day! Glad to be here and hope to connect with some other Aussie writers.

Hilary

Registered
Reaction score
Coming in from the Land of the Long White Cloud - and hoping to be treated gently!

Haven't read HP but I did sign up to be an extra on the Hobbit. Unfortunately real work and the need to earn a dollar got in the way!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
You mean you didn't throw away your career to be in The Hobbit? Blasphemy! :tongue

I hereby vote that you should dress like a hobbit or elf or something next time you go in to your workplace. ;)

ChrisElfy

Registered
Reaction score
Coming in from the Land of the Long White Cloud - and hoping to be treated gently!

Haven't read HP but I did sign up to be an extra on the Hobbit. Unfortunately real work and the need to earn a dollar got in the way!
Visited Hobbiton when I was over there last year. That was a real buzz. Really odd to think that they built all that for about 10 minutes worth of footage and I may be being a little generous there.

Hilary

Registered
Reaction score
Hobbiton is our latest theme park - who need water slides and scary roller coasters when you can have Bilbo Baggins house?

And the dressing as a hobbit - and taking photo's? Oh you cruel bunch! Typical Aussies!

SkyeOhWhy

hopelessly devoted to crumpets
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Oops, haven't posted in this thread for a while! Hello and welcome to all the new faces. :welcome:

Hobbiton is our latest theme park - who need water slides and scary roller coasters when you can have Bilbo Baggins house?
When I visited NZ last year I actually got more of a thrill from Hobbiton than white water rafting. :D

Hilary

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry - tried to copy over the most amazing photo of hobbits, and failed. These guys were all in the film and so you might just see them next time you watch it. Look out for the vertically challenged, slightly portly guys with beards!

Haven't been to Hobbiton yet, even though its only about an hour from Auckland, but have also heard it's pretty good. I understand Sir PJ owns 50% of the venture.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, haven't posted in this thread for a while! Hello and welcome to all the new faces. :welcome:

When I visited NZ last year I actually got more of a thrill from Hobbiton than white water rafting. :D
You've been to Hobbiton?? So jealous. I'm totally planning to go to the premiere next year and will go then. So awesome it's a permanent set now, when the films finished years ago I thought I'd never get the chance!

SkyeOhWhy

hopelessly devoted to crumpets
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Yep, Hobbiton was AMAZING! Definitely the highlight of the trip for me. My dad used to read The Hobbit and LOTR to me as bedtime stories when I was a kid, so it felt a bit magical to actually take a stroll through Hobbiton. :) You can walk right up to the hobbit holes to take your photos -- eg. https://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy/status/278659989474775040/photo/1

Our tour guide had worked behind the scenes on the LOTR movies, so he pointed out interesting spots as we passed through (eg. a tree that was made of fibreglass, how they painted a garden fence to make it look old, different sized hobbit holes to portray the size of different actors...) And we finished the tour with a drink in the Green Dragon! :D