Status
Not open for further replies.

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Everyone ready for the holiday? I just put potatoes in the fridge to cook tomorrow, and now I am about to make crack dip (sausage, cream cheese, rotel) and my in-laws arrive soon.

Less than 5000 words to go on Nano, and I am barely squeezing them out, but I will make it.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Afternoon, all! :)

Have you considered just getting a flat? My studio flat is the size of a postage stamp. It doesn't get much tinier than this. :D

We're also looking into condos, which might be a nice closer-to-downtown option for us while actually affordable since we don't want to live too far from the city and they usually come very nicely remodeled.

Dys, that's great for your students, but they didn't get there without you at the helm.

I'd pass on renting a lot with a price which cannot be fixed. If I were in your shoes, my toes would be screaming I'd certainly get a realtor to show me very small houses, explaining what other features besides size are important (charm? storage? updates? location-location-location?). If you lived here, you'd have many pre-war choices, one- and two-bedroom homes so small few people want them. (Even people living alone want more space than previous generations needed to raise their families.) Many would need updates in kitchen and bath, which last saw improvements in the 1960s or 70s, but the selling prices are often so low you could afford that in due time, and they're fully functional now.

Another thing to look into is purchasing a small lot in an existing neighborhood. Even towns like mine, fully developed since forever, have the occasional small lot on the market. Most builders don't consider them worth the bother of constructing a small home, because so few people want that.

But you do! Take walks and drives and see if there isn't a half-lot gone to weeds or trees right in the middle of some neighborhood.

Maryn, on her second load of laundry

Maryn, that's basically what we're looking for here. The house we looked at last weekend pretty much perfectly fit the bill if it had off-street parking and the backyard wasn't such a mess. But we're just starting and taking our time. In the meantime, I very much enjoy stalking watching the IKEA Home Tour Youtube channel. ;)

So T finally submitted all of her paperwork today to get all of this name change business taken care of so we can obtain passports and later next year a marriage license and all that with the right name on it. Oh, bureaucracy, we love it.

Anyway, time to get some writing in before I have a hair appointment to get my mop trimmed.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So there really is a wedding to look forward to! Hurray.

I'm glad to hear T is moving ahead with her name change, so all her papers will show she is who she is. Kid Two tells us the place she lives makes it pretty easy--but government bureaucracy makes it hard, not just for her but for everyone who has a thing they have to get taken care of by the state. I don't know if Kid Two has a passport in her name any more. I'll have to ask when I see her tonight.

Speaking of which, she's so different yet so exactly the same. Yesterday I suggested she leave a day early, ahead of the bad weather, but she could not because of several appointments. I encouraged her to be all ready to go and to get out early today, and she agreed. She called me at 12:20 to say she'd just left, which is so typical. How this very tall non-planner sprang from our DNA remains a mystery.

I have made a pumpkin pie and the dough for cookies is complete, but I needed a sit-down before I started them. It's snowing lightly, very pretty.

Maryn, having tea and toast she burned a little

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Yeah, it seems pretty easy here, but still expensive and T is fretting about it regardless. Fingers crossed for Kid Two! We contacted a lawyer here to help us out with the forms, but that's all.

Hm, cookies and pies... So, I uh...turned on the oven to preheat to make nerdy cookies, forgetting that I had an apple pie I bought yesterday in there...in plastic packaging, which promptly warped, but not melted. It was still edible and we'll have to emergency eat it, because I'm not going to take it to the party.

Oh yeah and the cookies I was making? I used store-bought dough and instead of cute Serenity and Jayne's hat cookies, I got a shapeless blob all over my cookie sheet. Next time I know to make my own instead of doing this quick fix style.

~ Dys, a genius in the kitchen...

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Emergency eating apple pie does not sound like a real hardship. :D

Apple and pumpkin pies are baked here, the house is cleaned, the table is set, the turkey is cleaned and in the roasting pan in the fridge, and the stuffing bread is torn into small bits and ready for me to add onion, celery, chicken broth, and spices to it at 6:30 tomorrow morning.

I has a tired.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Kiddo spent last night at hubby's folks, so once I got done with the T-day prep (cranberry salad, gooseberry pie, tart cherry pie), hubby and I went out for a leisurely dinner by ourselves. I'm counting it as an early b-day dinner for me (b-day is Sunday).

I woke up at 7:15 this morning for NO apparent reason, and though I should be spending my extra awake time writing, I steadfastly refuse. This is my day off, dammit.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Mr. Lily got up with me at 5:45 to stuff the turkey and put it in the oven. Then we went back to bed. :)

The house smells OM NOM NOM.

I have also created the traditional family Thanksgiving appetizer platter, TYVM. I *can* do tradition when I choose, neener. (Cheese, pepperoni, crackers, tangerines, finocchio.

My folks called an hour ago in a panic. they still hadn't left (it's a 2.5-hour drive). They accidentally switched the MPH readout on their Prius to KPH and didn't know how to switch it back. They wanted College Boy to tell them what KPH to drive that equals 65MPH.

Mr. Lily suggested we cut out Star Trek insignias from tinfoil and put them on himself and College Boy. When they get here, I'm going to call for Science Officer Gaetano and Engineer Spock because there's trouble with the Shuttle Prius.

We are totally doing this. :ROFL:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Fast check in to say everyone arrived safely, just late.)

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
*snicker* Oh, Lily, that story made my day.

Getting ready to head out to pick up BF-the doctor (she comes to T-day with my family, her family is all in Denver), then we have to drive to hometown, scoop up the kiddo, and flee quickly.

Dinner got moved up to 1, because my cousins all want to go Black Friday shopping (on Thursday).

Oh, and one cousin's wife messaged me last night just to give us a heads up that she and my cousin are getting a divorce, and she didn't want us to walk in blind when everyone else knows.

I... Yeah, this should be interesting.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Happy T-Day, everyone!

Lily's story made my morning. :D

I'm bringing a salad and cranberry sauce to the teacher T-Day dinner. First time I made cranberry sauce and although deceptively easy, I almost totally splattered myself. I think it turned out right though. ;)

No Black Friday shopping here, because yuck. Five years in retail have left their mark.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Family on their way home. We are sprawled in the living room. The cats still haven't come out. :tongue

Tired, but it was a successful day. The Star Trek surprise worked well, but the pics I grabbed didn't turn out well. :(

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Awww, sadness, Lily. Glad everything went well though!

We haven't been to dinner yet. Leaving in an hour and a half in which I have to get myself and the salad ready, but right now writing is getting sidelined by editing thoughts related to de-cluttering some of my world building, which may also lead to changing book titles. Not sure why I'm obsessing about this, given that it's just a silly comp title, but I've grown used to it, you know?

Gotta love world building.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I this week have watched two interesting movies. One is what several people here,and else where have recommended, that was Snowpiercer. I loved it! Loved loved loved it. The other was Mr. Nobody. Liked it a lot. Very thought provoking and deals heavily with the idea of choice and chance. Also heavy in the metaphor department. Probably watch both movies again.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It's below freezing here, Teacher Boy is sacked out on the couch after working midnight-8am, and I have achieved red-eye sausage gravy over fresh biscuits.

Eh. It wasn't a hit. Edible, but not to our tastes. I might make plain sausage gravy one day.

I hope to achieve laundry and wordage today. I sure as heck ain't going out shopping!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two daughters showered and shampooed, water heater drained, oatmeal cookies with hazelnuts served as breakfast. We plan to hit a Goodwill store early this afternoon, since nobody anticipates Black Friday madness there.

Little do they know I plan to pay for what they find.

Maryn, fiendish

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I woke up at 7:15 AGAIN for no apparent reason. Finally got out of bed around 8 when I knew my tossing & turning was bothering hubby.

Decided I'd run down to Target real quick and pick up a few things for kiddo & other Christmassy type stuff. We've done an amazing amount of Christmas shopping (for us) already, and I'm feeling rather accomplished.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
The Target by my house is actually a little unique in that it's not part of a bigger retail strip. It's kinda the only thing there, so other than the residents who live nearby, no one really goes there.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to tell the story of M's ring, because I'm really proud of how it all worked out. So she wanted a floral ring, in silver(not white gold, not platinum, silver), with my birthstone, interestingly enough my wedding ring is made out of Damascus steel (more appropriate term is pattern-weld steel but most people don't know it by that name). She found one she really really liked and sent me a link to it with a note that said "Something like this, but I really really like this one." Well that ring was from a discontinued limited series from the Jeweller that made it. SO I contacted them.

They were very polite and tried to push me to their other series in this polite business like fashion but I stayed firm and polite back that I wanted that ring in a size 8 and in silver with two blue topaz. So they remade it for me. They told me that since it was a discontinued series and that they were really busy that it could be over a month before they got to it but they would start on it as soon as they could and it would only take two weeks to make once they started. I understood, I've known a few jewellers in the past so not a big deal and was very nice to them because they were being so helpful and nice.

Well started making payments on it and when I only had one payment left they e-mailed me out of the blue and told me that the ring had been finished that day. Apparently I had been talking to the owner and jeweller himself the entire time and because of how professional and nice I was he bumped my order up to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.