Not open for further replies.

francist44

Tenacious to a fault
Registered
Reaction score
Spotsylvania Virgina, not the vampire place
Website
www.writerfrans-cave.com
I have come across the below submission requirement a few times recently. Is this the new standard? Whereas it will be easy to remove for publishers not requiring such with the REPLACE feature, should I start my next work with this in mind?Grrr it's going to be a real PIA to add to my completed manuscripts.

Scene breaks (POV shifts, etc.) should be indicated by four asterisks **** on a single centered line, with a blank line above and below

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
It's not new. It's a variation on the pound/number sign (#) against the left margin. I've had editors who preferred centered asterisks. :Shrug: But definitely not new. Sorry it'll be a PITA. But pretty much everyone wants some sort of definable symbol on scene breaks.

francist44

Tenacious to a fault
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writerfrans-cave.com
It's not new. It's a variation on the pound/number sign (#) against the left margin. I've had editors who preferred centered asterisks. :Shrug: But definitely not new. Sorry it'll be a PITA. But pretty much everyone wants some sort of definable symbol on scene breaks.

Rats!
Oh well, vol I is only 165k words. I should get it done by............................... One last question on this, how major must the scene break be to require the **** ?

Thanks for info.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Basically, anywhere there would be a blank line between scenes is where you'd put the indicator.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
You should have some kind of standard scene break marker now. Can't you just find/replace? I've always just used # centered on an empty line and never heard any complaints (but then again, that's a really easy find/replace, since I never use # elsewhere)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I use # in draft, then replace it with whatever's needed. **** is a total PITA otherwise, because my version of Word really wants that to be a solid black line. Which is harder to edit than it should be.

On the other hand, getting in the habit of showing scene breaks helps me stay in deep POV with the right characters. I was much sloppier before.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I usually do a single * but I don't think I leave blank space above and below. But, as Drachen said, I don't use it elsewhere so a search is pretty easy. I wonder if you can search for a blank line (if that's what you have now). I would try it. I search for double-space in each MS, but haven't for a blank line.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
If you search for ^p, it will get all your hard returns. ^p^p should get blank lines -- replace those with ^p**** and that should work...

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Hmmm. I've always used '***'... a habit I picked up from print books, I think. Four asterixes instead of three is a new one of me. Have I been going against the grain this whole time?

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
My small press wants five *****, so that's what I do in my self-published work as well. At least it has the advantage of being clear.

I do a scene break whenever I change POV from MC #1 to MC #2. Sometimes that's a page or two, sometimes a lot more. Depends on what the story needs.

I think we're going to be seeing more of this, to better serve the readers who buy e-books. A scene break thus marked stands out better on the device, at least that's been my impression when I read on my Kindle.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I start and end my chapters with major scene breaks: issue resolutions, POV shifts, location changes etc. Should I actually consider any blank line reason enough for a scene change?

Thanks for the help people.

Chapter breaks are different. They already have their own built in breaks (being the chapter heading). It's just scene breaks within the chapter that need the asterisks. So, yes:

POV changes
Time of day shifts
Location changes (which usually means a time shift too)

all call for scene breaks and indicators.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's not new, but it is stupid. Four asterisks mean nothing, however much a given editor likes them. All typesetters, and every editor I know, uses proofreaders' marks. There is NO other way for everyone to know what a given symbol means. We were all taught proofreaders' marks in seventh grade or earlier, and used them all the way through college. Editors and typesetters still use them, unless they're simply ignorant.

Fortunately, I've never seen a legitimate source saying to use anything else. Not that most writers have a clue what proofreaders' marks are until they get a copy edited manuscript back. Any editor or typesetter will probably figure out what you mean, but using asterisks is still a dumb move, and I'd never, ever trust an editor who asked for them.

Agents, on the other hand, are usually neither writers nor editors, and I ignore them in favor of what I know editors and typesetters can actually read, and were actually taught.

francist44

Tenacious to a fault
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writerfrans-cave.com
It's not new, but it is stupid. Four asterisks mean nothing, however much a given editor likes them. All typesetters, and every editor I know, uses proofreaders' marks. There is NO other way for everyone to know what a given symbol means. We were all taught proofreaders' marks in seventh grade or earlier, and used them all the way through college. Editors and typesetters still use them, unless they're simply ignorant.

Fortunately, I've never seen a legitimate source saying to use anything else. Not that most writers have a clue what proofreaders' marks are until they get a copy edited manuscript back. Any editor or typesetter will probably figure out what you mean, but using asterisks is still a dumb move, and I'd never, ever trust an editor who asked for them.

Agents, on the other hand, are usually neither writers nor editors, and I ignore them in favor of what I know editors and typesetters can actually read, and were actually taught.

Thanks
Since this publisher wants **** that's what he'll get. Whereas, I can do a replace with whatever another publisher wants or delete them, I may as well go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.