Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.

Fatousb1

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brand new to this forum.
icon11.gif
I've never been in one of these places before. I'm what you would call old-fashioned. I go out and meet people if I want to go out on a date, I buy clothes at the mall, I rent movies at RedBox. I'd rather be in line than use the touch-screen machine at the airport. See the picture?

So I'm a writer. I wanted to find an agent the old-fashioned way by sending out letters in the mail after finishing my first novel. I wrote a nice little query and pinned along the first five to ten pages, thinking I'll be able to call myself a published author before I could say Jack Robinson...

Didn't happen. Big surprise! So anyway I decided to join this forum after someone recommended it to me. Hope this will help me get a better grasp of the industry and what they are looking for. What works, what doesn't.

My first topic:

Can someone tell me what is sooo great about this first line and why it's considered one of the greatest of all time? It's from THE SHINING by Stephen King.

Thanks. Hope to get to know someone of you guys and build friendships.

Cheers!
icon6.gif

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pleased to have recognized the line right away. I don't ever read Stephen King any more, not for decades.

You'll find plenty of "old school" members who more often interact in person when possible, but few of us live where there are thousands of writers and aspiring writers hanging out talking shop, or just talking. But that's what you get here.

Why is it a great line? Because it lures the reader further in--who's an officious little prick, and what did he do? What makes Jack Torrance fit to judge? Why does he only think it and not say it out loud? Pretty hard not to read onward to find out.

Maryn, whose favorite first line is The last camel died at noon.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Fabulous, er, Fatousb1! Welcome to our town.

:D

What Maryn said I'll echo and also say, please take some time to read around and post a bit -- you may like what you find here. I kind of hope you do. It is a big place and it takes a while usually for people to find their way around, but a number of us decided it was worth it.

Feel free to ask questions. I look forward to seeing you around.

Last edited:

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!

I recognized the line immediately. When I was 12, I carried The Shinning around like it was the Bible. (Yes...I know...that's really disturbing.) Maryn's right. It draws you in. It gives you an immediate sense of the scene, and of Jack's character.

Have fun exploring AW. It's really a great resource.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

As Maryn says: Those six words accomplish a lot.

We have a character, with a name.

The named character is doing something.

The named character is showing the reader some of his personality via his vocabulary and attitude (uses somewhat vulgar language; mature and educated enough for the word 'officious' to be part of his vocabulary; considers "little prick" to be a demeaning term, implying macho/misogynistic; isn't obnoxious or brave enough to have said it aloud to the guy's face).

The name (Jack Torrance) and the words used (officious little prick) together suggest a contemporary Western character/setting.

The reader is unconsciously intrigued because they aren't yet sure who to sympathise with: Jack (is he a nice guy who has to deal with a pedantic, annoying jerk?) or the other guy (is he a decent fellow just doing his job and having to deal with a privileged man who thinks the rules don't apply to him and who uses bad language?)

The action -- Jack having negative thoughts about the person he's interacting with -- sets up the first problem: Jack is having to deal with someone he doesn't like.

Exercise: Read through the opening of your WIP. How many words does it take for the reader to get at least one clue as to the main character's name, age, gender, and race; where in the world the story is set; when in history the story is set; what kind of personality the MC has; the first problem the MC has to deal with?

If your answer is "Six words", you're golden.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome:

Threak 17

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, -I love me a little Stephen King. I'm fairly old school myself (still don't own a cellphone), but had to cave in to the digital world when the industry went online. Enjoy the site, great people sharing great information. Enjoy!