Jed's Super-Dooper 'Ask a Mod' Thread (for all your Newbie Questions)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Very new here.

Just have one quick question at the moment.

I noticed on the SYW section for screenwriting it says post no more than 10 pages. Is this a strict rule?
I'm wondering because I have 12 pages I would love to share once I get my post count up.

Thanks.
If the rules of the forum state that it has to be no more than ten pages, then don't post more than ten pages. You could post more later, but start with the first ten.

Hi, I was wondering about the Animal/Nature forum. Is it ok to post actual writing questions to this forum? It appears that it is more of a help forum for an actual problem. I ask because I write a lot of fiction stories based on my photography. I photograph only wildlife and write both shorts and novella's.
It is highly descriptive and environments are accurate, but it is told through the eyes of a particular animal.
I couldn't even tell ya what genre it is exactly.
Thanks
Hard to say without knowing the question, but if it's a basic writing question, then it might be better to post in the Basic Writing Questions forum. You'll get a lot more answers there, as it's a much frequented forum. If you feel it is really appropriate for the Animal/Nature forum, then you can go ahead and post it in that forum. At worst, the moderators of that forum will see that it's a better fit for BWQ and move it over there for you.

filiasophia

Registered
Reaction score
Posting A Polling Question

Hello, and thank goodness for this thread!

I'm exceptionally new to AW and have a question I would like to ask the collective for information purposes/inspiration. Is there a proper place to do such a thing? I don't want to put my foot in it right off the bat.

Thanks in advance!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the type of question. If it is genre specific then you can post in the room for that genre. Casual non-writing questions can go in Office Party

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome

RCtheBanditQueen

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question; I hope this is the correct forum in which to ask. I know that a new user has to have 50 posts before posting anything in the Share Your Work or Brainstorming Sandbox. I know I read through some of the rules that some kind fairy posted on my hello post, but I can't find it at the moment... Are we allowed to reply to posts in those forums before we have 50 posts? I.e., commenting on someone else's work to start getting involved in the AW community so folks get to know us before we post our work?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I have a question; I hope this is the correct forum in which to ask. I know that a new user has to have 50 posts before posting anything in the Share Your Work or Brainstorming Sandbox. I know I read through some of the rules that some kind fairy posted on my hello post, but I can't find it at the moment... Are we allowed to reply to posts in those forums before we have 50 posts? I.e., commenting on someone else's work to start getting involved in the AW community so folks get to know us before we post our work?

Yes. :) Not only can you reply to others post in SYW before you reach 50, you are heartily encouraged to critique others work as a way to engage in the community. So YES. And Yes. :D

There are also some threads in the SYW section where you can post before 50 posts, such as the various "post the first 200 words..." Though with those, I'd critique a few posts first, then post.

(And I'll have to check with the room mods, but I don't think the idea sandbox required 50 posts to post, since it's about brainstorming and not really critiquing.)

Mary_MO

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to ask this question, but I have a galaxy tab note pro 12.2. I use this to write and store everything.

Where can I start a thread about the best type of word doc I can download and/or purchase for my writing?

crehbohrahku

Registered
Reaction score
Where should I post to get criticism for my story once I've reached 50 posts? I see too many possible places and I'm not sure which one is the right one.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to ask this question, but I have a galaxy tab note pro 12.2. I use this to write and store everything.

Where can I start a thread about the best type of word doc I can download and/or purchase for my writing?

Hi, Mary. I don't know anything about your particular device, but there have been several threads about various writing programs and applications. Basic Writing Questions and Roundtable are two places where you might get some good info about that if you start a thread describing what you're looking for. Check those forums and see which one seems more like a fit for your investigation.

Where should I post to get criticism for my story once I've reached 50 posts? I see too many possible places and I'm not sure which one is the right one.

Hi there and welcome! Once you've participated a bit and read in some of those areas, and offered comments on some of the pieces posted, you might have a better sense. It depends on what genre your story is.

DCVermillion

DC Vermillion
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a limit to the number of posts per day, was wondering.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

DCVermillion

DC Vermillion
Registered
Reaction score
Nope.

No idea, but I don't think I've seen that around here either. Some pretty long posts get made here and there.

Faster than his water speed, I expect.

:D

Ah, cool, was curious about all three :)

was new here ( or still am rather) and wondered.

DCVermillion

DC Vermillion
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. :) Not only can you reply to others post in SYW before you reach 50, you are heartily encouraged to critique others work as a way to engage in the community. So YES. And Yes. :D

There are also some threads in the SYW section where you can post before 50 posts, such as the various "post the first 200 words..." Though with those, I'd critique a few posts first, then post.

(And I'll have to check with the room mods, but I don't think the idea sandbox required 50 posts to post, since it's about brainstorming and not really critiquing.)

ahh, cool, I was wondering that too

RandomWords

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
What a labyrinthine treasure trove this place is! I was lost for three days below decks before I found this hatch. (Pretty sure I glimpsed a Minotaur down there).

Noob question - is there a thread or a post somewhere that addresses naive fears about how posting your work here will affect later publishing efforts?
Thanks!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, RandomWords, and welcome to AW.

That question is raised approximately once a month. There are a number of threads where people address it, but before you go searching for those, there is also a brilliant FAQ that might very well put your concerns to rest: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256502

:D

RandomWords

Registered
Reaction score

zellieh

Registered
Reaction score
What counts as a post?

What counts as a post? If I leave a comment in reply to someone's else's post (or thread, or comment), does my comment count as a post?

I understand I need to reach 50 posts before I can share my work. Does this mean I need to leave 50 comments as replies to others, or make 50 posts to start threads? Or a mix of the two?

I only ask because other sites I have accounts on seem to differentiate between 'making a post' = posting an entry (or starting a thread) and 'leaving a comment' = replying in the comment threads to an entry/post/thread, so I'd like to know how you're using these words here.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
What counts as a post? If I leave a comment in reply to someone's else's post (or thread, or comment), does my comment count as a post?

I understand I need to reach 50 posts before I can share my work. Does this mean I need to leave 50 comments as replies to others, or make 50 posts to start threads? Or a mix of the two?

I only ask because other sites I have accounts on seem to differentiate between 'making a post' = posting an entry (or starting a thread) and 'leaving a comment' = replying in the comment threads to an entry/post/thread, so I'd like to know how you're using these words here.

Either starting a thread or posting within a thread counts as a post. (Though posts in the TIO forum are not counted.)

There is a general caution not to zip zip zip to 50 posts for the sole purpose of posting in SYW. The better bet is to read and critique in SYW as part of getting to 50 posts. (You can comment on threads in SYW; you just can't start new threads.)

zellieh

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I wasn't intending to go for 50. I'm not even sure I want to submit anything for review. But since a number was mentioned, I was curious about how it was counted. :)

Thanks for explaining it.