bibliophile versus biblioholic

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
... or just a book junky, or impulse buyer of books.

I estimate that in my life time I have probably bought at least 10,000 books for myself.

I read the cover material and introductions and usually the first and last chapter, then set it aside and use it as a research book. Some books I will read all the way through, but probably less then ten per cent.

I travel many miles just to search for books. On a recent trip to Montana to visit my sister, I bored her to tears looking for books.

How about you? Are you a bibliophile? A book junky?

I use to go to bed with a book and then sleep with it, even when I was married. (no wonder she left).

How about you?

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
.. . .
How about you? Are you a bibliophile? A book junky?

For awhile I was an impulse seller of books (bibliotech) and I've certainly been an impulse reader of books (bibliospeedo) and occasionally I've been an impulse writer of books (unfinished - bibliodud) but I'd have to say I'm a rather thoughtful buyer, not prone to over indulgence, (anti-bibliobourgeois) not opposed to lending out books I'll never get back* yet definitely a voracious, dedicated reader (bibliobinger) . . I'm blithely imbibing of your biblio thread!!Thanks!

*The Sylvia Plath's lost to Sasha the blonde-Egyptian notwithstanding!!

Last edited:

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
At the present, I own about 1000 books. Can't say I've read them all, and some are meant more as research books anyway, but I've read a fair number. I'd estimate 70%. I weed them out about twice a year to get rid of books that I hated....but then there's also the twice yearly library sale, so it's not like I really have less books than I would if I didn't thin the herd now and then. I have an e-reader, which I only use for library books (and, if we're being honest, Facebook) but if I really enjoy a story I want to own the book.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful to read about others behavior with books. They have always been something of a mysterious force in my life.

If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I hope I come back as a library cat who knows how to read.

Good heavens Mag, but you do know about books.

Last edited:

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote some time ago that at current count there were 10 books in my car. Today I counted again and there are 14.

Often I skim read books rather than read word-for-word to the end.

It amazes me how I can open a book to almost any page and images will start jumping out at me like popping corn on a hot sidewalk.

Once I encountered "evergreen mountain". I thought for a moment and began to conjure up, evergreen road, lake, hill, valley, mist, fog, day, moment, life, rain, etc. I sit here now looking through my evergreen window (partial). I just came back from a morning's cruise to The Westport Marina on an evergreen highway.

Books can be used for many purposes but as sources for images they are most useful.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is going to start my addiction right back up, dammit. :D

I used to be like you, Steppe. I miss having a double bed because I used to like to use the other side of it to stack up to ten, fifteen books that I wanted by me at all times so I could dip into them as it occurred to me.

I also skim read.

I own far far too few books now, because of life events and the way the adventure has gone. I've moved a lot, and gotten rid of libraries at times. It used to be easier, and I could make a little money at it. The first time, there was a very wonderful used bookstore that took whatever I wanted to let go of and paid decently. The owner even came and looked over what I had a couple of times.

Then, after letting go of so many books but before actually making that move, I would go into that bookstore and gaze longingly at the Edward Curtis photography collection on display, that had used to belong to me. The owner said "I can sell it back to you if you want," and he meant that in a kindly way, too.

Anyway. Yeah. Books, damn it.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Know what you mean. I used to sell books to Holmes Book Store in Oakland, Calif. Bought a lot of theirs to. Once there was a large tent full of used book for sell on Telegraph Ave. I carried books out of it till they closed. That's where I got the first copy of Johannes Bobrowski's poems in paperback, about 30 years ago. Still have it.

They come and go those books.

I have shelves of books in the bedroom too, often a dozen on the bed that go bumping on the floor at night. Shelves full in the living room and no place for company to sit because the couch is my storage spot for books heading out.

No doubt about it. Some of us are freakaholic-bookaholics.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
There are five floor to ceiling bookcases in my office. I'm currently reading my way through them. The book budget all goes to the kids these days (about ten books a year). We also visit the public library, and they go to their school libraries.

Once I've read through my bookcases, I may start buying again. I may also just use the public library. I'm a slow reader so I have a while before I have to figure that out. Once I start selling books, I'll buy books written by my author friends. Books can be expensive.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with getting through them Debbie! Yes, books are expensive. That's why I shop at used book stores and thrift shops a lot. I just got back form Olympia, Wa on a visit to Half-Price-Books. Bought a couple I didn't need but wanted. What can you do!

I go to libraries too. Been to everyone within miles of me.