G'Day

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. I did actually sleep in more than I usually do. 9.15am was when I got up.

I've decided to hold off on buying more music until I get paid again on Monday. I went shopping for pants instead. No luck finding any I was willing to pay money for...

I might have to go to an actual men's clothing store, instead of just the men's section in K-Mart and BigW. It'll be more expensive, but I might actually find some that I want... Maybe.

I dunno. Last time I bought really expensive pants, they had holes in them within 2 months, and were causing a rash where the holes were. And I didn't even do anything much while wearing them - that was just general everyday wear and tear. On the flip side, I've got pants from BigW that lasted about 8 months before getting a single hole in them, for a quarter of the price.

/ramble

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I should probably practice on my cheap one more often, to make it a worthwhile purchase. I tend to get very enthusiastic about musical equipment. Like the time I spent $1300 on a drumkit when I didn't live in a house where I could play it (noise problems). I've hardly touched that drumkit. I probably won't be able to use it until I get my own place and soundproof a room... Yet I still bought it as soon as I could afford it. Because hey, it was on sale. And we all know sales are heaps rare... *headdesk*

/ramble

Holy crap, $1300 for a drum set on sale? My god. I bought a set for 400 clams, and with some EQ work, it sounded great. I wish I could afford $1300 instruments.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The only way I could afford it was to save all my money from 2 weeks of heavy labour work, and then sell my old second-hand kit. It still wasn't the smartest purchase, considering I've not lived in a house yet where I'm able to play it much...

Technically I could play it in this house, except for the fact that there's no room to set it up. And the house we're probably moving to next won't have any space for it.

So it'll definitely be a "when I get my own place" type deal.

And then I have to take into account that my cymbals got wet one winter (don't ask) and most of them have rusted a little bit. Eep!

Fortunately the really flash cymbal dad bought me for a birthday present one year is in pristine condition. But I'll probably have to buy a new cymbal pack once I have the space to play drums.

:)

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Waste of money, IMHO, but that's cause I'm used to having to buy cheap so I can afford to eat too. :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. I was absolutely broke after buying that, completely wasted all the money I earned from that short-term job.

But I made it through. And I honestly do like that drum kit... I just never get to play it to make it worth all that money.

One day though...

One day I'll have my own place, a sound-proofed room, and enough instruments to record my own album to a laptop and sell it on iTunes. (If I ever get any good at music...)

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
You don't really have to be good at music to sell it. I know plenty of people in bands who make pretty terrible music, and they make money off it. I'm not saying you're terrible, lol. Just saying, don't think you have to be Eric Clapton or anything.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue

Some days I think I'm terrible, some days I think I'm awesome. If I knew how to read and write music, it might help me create actual songs instead of just jamming.

And yeah, I don't need to be like Eric Clapton. Though it would be nice if I could create music that I myself enjoyed. :tongue That's a little beyond me thus far.

I've gotten good praise for my lyrics, though, so I suppose there is some hope for me. :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
If I get a steady paying job, I might start taking music lessons on either guitar or keyboard. Preferably from a teacher who can play both. That way they can teach me how to read and write music that's applicable to both instruments.

Actually, I think I might play some music this morning before I go to the shops to get my hair cut.

I'm growing it long, but it's kind of messy (and the fringe is always in my eyes). And I have a job interview on Friday, so I plan on looking immaculate.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
:tongue

Some days I think I'm terrible, some days I think I'm awesome.

We all have days like that. It's called being an artist. :tongue

If I knew how to read and write music, it might help me create actual songs instead of just jamming.

BS. You don't need to know how to read or write music to create songs. Paul McCartney never learned how to read music. I've had professionals tell me my bass lines are amazing, and I've been asked for my autograph in addition to recording an album that was really in demand in NY. And I can't read music for shit. I could barely remember the names of the strings.

And yeah, I don't need to be like Eric Clapton. Though it would be nice if I could create music that I myself enjoyed. :tongue That's a little beyond me thus far.

I've gotten good praise for my lyrics, though, so I suppose there is some hope for me. :D

Keep at it!

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Haha. Actually, they have chaplain jobs. They also have the commanding officers give speeches regularly when underway to keep up the crews' spirits. I'm actually kind of interested in the mass communication jobs. They produce and create the videos for the Navy, including training videos, commercials and informational vids on the websites. They also run the Navy Times and manage all the PR info that goes out. At the officer level, they work on camera and as ambassadors to other countries.

I also thought about using the Navy to get my law degree, lol. My dad always wanted me to be a lawyer at his firm. Lots of opportunities to give speeches in that job. :tongue

Lyrics are difficult. If you write them well, take pride in that. I can write awesome music, but my lyrics are terrible. It's a gift you should be proud of.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. :)

Actually, I've also considered law as an option... But down here, you need a ridiculously high score to even get in, and then it's something like 5 years of full-time study.

My score after high school wasn't all that high... It was enough to do basic degrees though. Hence I went into Physics, and when that didn't pan out, years later (ie. now) I'm doing Arts.

I've always wanted to do a Masters course, or get a PhD in something. I'll have to wait and see what options I pursue...

At this point, I'm not even sure what I'll be doing next year, or even a month from now. I'm waiting for something solid to happen first before I decide on a course of action.

I just have too many things I want to do, and no way I can do all of them.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know what I'll be doing next year either. Things keep coming up that postpone me going to get my physical for the military. I was supposed to go tomorrow, but of course something happened that made them have to cancel (not their fault this time, but it's still disheartening). I'm hoping that next year I'll be going through basic training, "A" school and getting out into the fleet. Who knows what I'll be doing as my job though, since I have no way of knowing what positions will be available when I go to sign my contract.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
What I think I want to do is to work in a retail head office, in some sort of creative role.

To that end, I'll need both retail AND office experience.

I'm finishing up Cert. III in Retail right now (Supervisor training) and so next year what I want to do is do Cert. IV in Retail and in Office Admin. I can do any Cert. IV class I want once I've got any Cert. III class passed and under my belt.

But I'd like to be working during that time, too. Most retail positions available right now are Casuals, which is shift work, so I'd have a hard time holding down a Casual position if 2 days of every week involve me being at those courses. The only office position I could hope to get right now would be a Traineeship, and I think that would be Monday-Friday 9-5, which would mean I couldn't do the courses...

And I also want to do 2 Uni subjects next semester, externally (ie. online from home) which I can do... But if I'm doing everything else, I won't have the time or mental energy.

Something's got to give. I suspect it might be work, though I'd really like to have some money behind me.

And then I have a job interview tomorrow which I'd be perfect for, and I think I have a good chance of getting one of the available positions.

So it's all up in the air right now...

Maybe in a couple weeks' time I'll have something happen that will help me decide what direction to go in.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, just let things go on their paths and see what happens. Things may play out in a certain way that decides for you. But don't cut any options out until you get a better idea of how everything is going to pan out.

I have an interview on Friday. Good luck to us both!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely good luck to both of us!

But yeah, I'll have to see what happens in the near future. It's so frustrating though... I'm sitting here going over all these different options, and I know something won't make the cut, but until something actually happens I won't be able to decide what gets cut.

Frustrating.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
We're on the second page!? Unacceptable! :D

So any word from your interview, Cliff?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, actually. :D

I got the job. Woo!

I don't know when I start or what store location I'll be in - I'll find that out in the coming week. But I'm in, so that's good.

Have you heard back from your interview?

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! :D

No, I haven't heard from them yet. I sent them a follow-up thank you letter Wed. Friday was a week, so I'm hoping to hear something Monday or Tuesday. If I don't hear by Wed, I'll probably call.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully you get the job. :)

LOL, I haven't even started yet, and I'm already planning my route to the top of the company. :tongue CEO Cliff. What do you think?

*eyes off sweet corner office with a power point for his guitar* :D

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I really need the job, lol. Like urgently. I've been trying not to get my hopes up though.

I don't see why you couldn't make CEO. Go for it. You can have a whole recording studio in your office. :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hell yeah!

That would really unnerve my subordinates. :tongue

"Er, Mr. Cliff, I just needed to go over these budget reports..."
*drum solo*
"It's just that I was having trouble with..."
*metal vocals*
"I'll sort it out myself."
"No, no, I'm done for now. Take a seat."
"Where?"
"On the drum stool."

Or maybe not. :tongue

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
You could make them come in and listen to your brutal 6-minute genre experiment and see how they react. Consider it a test to see who will actually tell you the truth.

I called the place I interviewed at today, and they told me they hadn't made a decision yet. So, at least the silence wasn't because they picked someone else.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
That's a positive thing. And plus, there's a good chance that having rung them will make them see how keen you are. :)

And yeah, I totally would play mind games with my workers. :tongue

*noise silences*
"So... what did you think of my experimental Jazz Metal Funk opus?"

:D