The Legend of Korra

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I've wondered at Azula, too. Entirely possible. I actually think it would be cool if they were related through his mom, but that's just me. :tongue It could just be art style, but it's similar enough that it seems to me that it would almost have to be deliberate. Especially when he looks so different from his brother. I'm not thinking long lost prince necessarily, just that there is a connection there.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
a sign of good writing, that we're trying to figure out these relationships...as if the characters are real...

Count me in with all of the above: How do two brothers bend different elements? What happened with Zuko and Azula? And what about the huge cliff-hanger that ended the first series, when Zuko was going to go off and find his mother?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we do see Zuko's statue in the city (Bolin does his ferret performance thing to try and raise money).

I think it has something to do with how fire requires total control or it becomes destructive...that could be why so many of them can easily turn to crime. Plus, there are ways to easily restrain earth and water benders: Their elements are localized. but the Firebenders produce their fire from chi...how do you stop that, save with chi-blockers or something like The Cooler.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Was that a Zuko statue? Really? I'm gonna have to go back and watch again. :D

If it is a Zuko statue, that makes this even more intriguing. I was telling a friend the other day that if Zuko was Fire Lord and now there is no Fire Lord, there must have been some kind of uprising or revolution (even if it was a peaceful one) that would have been a major event in history, completely game-changing. It struck me as odd that an event that big and someone guaranteed to be a major player in it hadn't really been mentioned.

My friend said that Republic City was built out of Fire Nation colonies and that outside of the city, for all we know the world is pretty much as it was before. It's an interesting thought, and I just blew off my initial pondering. Now I'm wondering again. :tongue

ETA: I probably put way too much thought into this show, but I'm loving having something that encourages it, too. I haven't seen a show I've enjoyed speculating over this much since Lost.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I kind of wish Bryke were more adventurous with the romantic aspect of things. I don't mean going soap opera crazy, but that whole soul mates thing is kind of annoying. It's like everyone dates one person (or they die, and they find a new soul mate) and they stay together forever and never have illegitimate kids. Ever. I understand that it's a Nick show, but as they're dealing with royalty and councilmen, scandals are interesting, and likely to happen.

If Sokka married Suki and Zuko married Mai and none of them ever had a single affair or child with someone who wasn't their SO, I'd feel like they were just going the safe Harry Potter route. Still, maybe something interesting happened with Azula, or her and Zuko's mom.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm still annoyed they paired Katara up with Aang at the end of the last one (grumble grumble). Didn't they see the rich symbolism in putting her with Zuko!? And besides, Zuko was awesome!

Okay. Maybe I'm a teensy bit biased. But STILL. There were a couple of elements about the end of the last one that really irked me, and that was one of them.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
You're telling me. I was pretty much anyone but Aang and Mai by the time the finale came around. I think it would've been a stronger show of symbolism if he ended up with someone from the firenation, too (Mai, Tai Lee, etc). I hated that finale. *grumbles*

But I am excited to see the finale for Korra. I played Republic City a few hours ago, watched the last ep, and now I'm wondering what they're going to do with Zuko's descendant. And how they're going to make a second season when it looks like they're going to hook Korra and Mako up. I'm unsure about how I feel on their ship, though. I guess I wish they'd introduced him as less of a douche. I don't really care about Asami's feelings, as I feel that she's dreadfully underdeveloped, but Bolin is just so cute and naive and honest -- everything Aang wasn't by the end of season three -- that I kind of hope a) Mako dies and Bolin "gets" (I hate this phrase) the girl, or b) they introduce a more developed female than Asami in season 2 for him.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I freaking love the fact that...SPOILERS

Amon is not Tarrlok. It makes things so much more delightfully complex.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That episode was soooooo good. So much speculating now.

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I just started watching today. ...And found all of the episodes online and watched them in one go. I am usually a "MUHHH SEQUEL, HATE, DO NOT WANT" whiner but I gave in to the curiosity.

Can I just say that

--lesbian wish ship whine warning--

Korra and Asamiiiii omggggg, can we please have that happen? PLEASE?! They'd be adorable. Korra totally has bi vibes and Asami could be all "lipstick" and whatnot.

*sulk* want moar gay in my TV >:]

but damn it, now I'm hooked. :( I did NOT need another TV show to obsessively wait for new episodes of! :p

Hamilton

Registered
Reaction score
I understand the reluctance to break up the couples that existed at the end of a series. Even though it's not strictly realistic, when you go through a romantic subplot it's no fun to learn that 2 years after the end of the story the characters broke up.

I'm a bit frustrated with Legend of Korra in some respects. The whole Mako/Korra thing going on in this episode came out of nowhere. When Mako just grabbed Korra at the end I just felt offended on the other characters' behalf. Are we really supposed to believe that Mako cares more about Korra than Bolin or Tenzin? That he gets the extra special right to carry her off and demand that everyone else give her space?

Bolin and Korra had more chemistry and relationship development in episode 5 alone than Mako and Korra have had throughout this entire series.

Moar character development plz.

I am clinging to the hope that Asami is an Equalist spy.

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
I really hope that Asami doesn't turn into some sort of jealous harpy now that she knows about Mako and Korra. That would be a bit too convenient for pushing Mako and Korra together. If we're going to have a love triangle, I'd rather it be at least a little complicated, with no particular side falling out easily.

Or the writers could just have Korra and Bolin get together, which was my first choice.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
*whines about Relay for Life and missing the last two episodes*

Honestly, we've seen hints at the Mako/Korra hook up for a while. Bolin hits on Korra all the time, but she eyes Mako. Her face showed how heartbroken she was when she found out Mako hooked up with Asami. Korra doesn't know what she wants, I think.

So I would be fine with her walking away from Mako and finding someone OUTSIDE the group to play with for a while. Make Mako jealous, maybe...

heza

Registered
Reaction score
The whole Mako/Korra thing going on in this episode came out of nowhere. When Mako just grabbed Korra at the end I just felt offended on the other characters' behalf. Are we really supposed to believe that Mako cares more about Korra than Bolin or Tenzin? That he gets the extra special right to carry her off and demand that everyone else give her space?

Bolin and Korra had more chemistry and relationship development in episode 5 alone than Mako and Korra have had throughout this entire series.

I won't say it was random because I've also seen hints of... Makorra? Korako? Anyway... throughout the series. But I think it's a shame. I do definitely agree that she's actually spent more onscreen time getting to know Bolin than she has Mako, so it feels like their OMG connection isn't really all that justified. Then again, I recall being a teenager and I did fall madly in love with near strangers for no damn good reason.

(Also, then again, there's no telling what happened between them off screen during all their training sessions.)

And I think Korra and Bolin are more compatible than Korra and Mako. That seems like a whirlwind of a romance that would fizzle pretty quickly.

I do feel bad for Asmi. She's sweet, she's alone now that she's turned on her father, and she's been really helpful to Korra's endeavors. I'd like to at least seem some guilt on Korra's behalf for stealing her boyfriend.

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I think Makorra has definitely been hinted at, but I feel bad for Bolin. I feel like she and Bolin are a much better match, but I bet she and Mako will be endgame because he's The Dark and Brooding Handsome One. Sigh.

I love Asami and agree that I hope she doesn't turn into a jealous harpy plot device. I will be mad.

Because deep down I still want Korrasami to happen. >:]

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I dunno, I kinda wish they'd drop the whole romance angle. I feel like it's the weakest part of the series. I know this series is shorter, but they're leaving almost no time for feelings to develop between the characters.

The reason I thought Zuko and Katara would've worked so nicely is that there was a ton and back and forth between them and a lot of broken trust that had to be put back together again. It would've put some meaning to their relationship besides, "Hey, you're cute," and "Hey, thanks, I like you back."

The writers are trying to jazz things up by having both brothers like Korra, but that's complicating the sibling relationship, not the romantic one. It feels shallow.

(By the way, all of this is a pretty minor complaint on the scale of awesomeness that is this series.)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I think Makorra has definitely been hinted at, but I feel bad for Bolin. I feel like she and Bolin are a much better match, but I bet she and Mako will be endgame because he's The Dark and Brooding Handsome One. Sigh.

I love Asami and agree that I hope she doesn't turn into a jealous harpy plot device. I will be mad.

Because deep down I still want Korrasami to happen. >:]

Trust me - there will be fanfic.

Heck, there might be already... go look!

;)

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A really fantastic show.

But pfft... shipping... who does that?

(*cough* Korralin)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I've been pretty okay with how the romance angles have played out so far. Usually that sort of thing annoys me, but this time I'm okay with it. I didn't think Mako/Korra came out of nowhere as they'd directly discussed it before and even shown that he had feelings for her but felt like he was better off with Asami.

Anyway, I prefer Mako anyway, as much as I love Bolin, so I'm all for the two of them being set up if it's done well. And so far I've been pretty impressed with how they've handled it. Usually that sort of thing is an instant dislike for me, so the fact that I've been enjoying it says a lot for my opinion.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I won't go so far as to say that I hate Makorra. It's fine. I'm surprised that I lean toward Korralin, though, seeing as I'm a dire-hard Zutaran. I'm finally getting some of the compatibility argument that Kataangers make for Katara and Aang. I do agree with Katrina, though, that Katara and Zuko had a much more complicated history than Korra and Mako, and it made for richer speculating than I'm finding in the current romance subplot.

But it's really all good. I second that whatever issues I have with the romance angle aren't detracting from my enjoyment of the show as a whole.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever Bryke's going to do about the romance (although I always knew Makorra was endgame, though I'm a home wrecker and ship Tenzlin *cough*Gimme THAT flashback, please*cough*) they need to wrap it up fast. We've only got three hours left. Really hope it happens this week since I get the feeling the finale in two is going to be a bit busy. And really, I hate waiting for subplots to resolve after the main plot.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Whatever Bryke's going to do about the romance (although I always knew Makorra was endgame, though I'm a home wrecker and ship Tenzlin *cough*Gimme THAT flashback, please*cough*).

I would *love* seeing how Tenzin's wife, who is *not* a bender, got Tenzin away from Lin.

Toph's daughter. Total bad-ass.

How did she do it?

And live?

:D