Poems you've memorized

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I read something the other day about memorizing poetry as a way to keep your mind occupied while waiting ... in line, at an appointment, in a traffic jam, whatever.

I'd like to memorize some, I used to in school a gazillion years ago. Today I came across a reference to 'Kubla Khan' by Coleridge and thought, "Ah ha! That's the one!"

I memorized part of it in school, never the whole thing I think. But I loved it and the story behind it. So, printed it out and this is the one I'm going to work on first. Then, I think, some Dickinson.

What poems have you memorized?

CrawdadJokeSoon

Registered
Reaction score
My attempt:
In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Ate of his heart.
"Is it good, friend?" I asked.
"It is bitter, bitter," he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter
And because it is my own heart."

In the Desert

By Stephen Crane In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, “Is it good, friend?”
“It is bitter—bitter,” he answered;

“But I like it
“Because it is bitter,
“And because it is my heart.”

Ahhhh! I need to brush up!

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
I used to think that poetry was supposed to be quoted, supposed to be recited, that this was how it lived, how it breathed, how it extended its powers, that this was why it was designed to be memorable.

But I don't want to infringe on anyone's intellectual property rights.

Last edited:

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Dream Within A Dream (Edgar Allan Poe)
Two Shakespeare Sonnets

And of course, some of the stuff I write myself. ^_^

lostinspace

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Remember what?

I can remember lines. Memorable lines. But that's about it I'm afraid.

lis

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
The Owl and the Pussycat. For some reason it's never left since school days.

lostinspace

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hahaha... Freud or Jung would have a field day with that one, G.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I can't give you the exact words because the last thing we would ever want to do is shut down this website because we were so silly as to quote a copyrighted poem without permission. *should be considered a less than subtle warning*

But what I can say is that under the right conditions, in front of the right people, and with the appropriate amount of liquid encouragement (a broody well chilled bordeaux if you're buying) I've been known to recite poems from Carl Sandburg, Sharon Olds, Richard Brautigan, James Wright, Gerald Stern, Allen Ginsberg, and Robert Bly...

although I'm a little fuzzy on the details. :D

lostinspace

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
'I can't give you the exact words because the last thing we would ever want to do is shut down this website because we were so silly as to quote a copyrighted poem without permission. *should be considered a less than subtle warning*'

An interesting comment AG. But if a poem is copyrighted and also available in the public domain, would that not make it available for public viewing/advertisement without authorial consent if it is cited properly?

Adore your avatar btw.

lis

lostinspace

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I saw a shrink once. She asked me what my problem was... to which I replied, 'You're the expert, you tell me'.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
But if a poem is copyrighted and also available in the public domain, would that not make it available for public viewing/advertisement without authorial consent if it is cited properly?

1. If it is under copyright it can not be public domain; public domain means that all rights in the work have been returned to the public. It has no copyright.

2. Authorial consent is meaningless; the author may or may not have some or all of the rights to a work since they may have licensed some or all of those rights to a publisher(s).

3. A citation does not protect a use from being a possible violation of copyright; that is determined by a judge at an expensive trial.

4. We appreciate members being respectful about the intellectual property rights of other artists.

lostinspace

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hmmmm, even more interesting AWA. Then one must assume that all universities and higher education institutions are breeching intellectual property rights on a daily basis?

lis

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... Prisoner of Chillon, by Byron
and Nantucket, by Lowell and
that one James mentioned.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm, even more interesting AWA. Then one must assume that all universities and higher education institutions are breeching intellectual property rights on a daily basis?

lis

Not on my watch, speaking as a former DMCA officer for the humanities division of large university.

In case you're not understanding me, you're damn well not going to do infringe on the intellectual property rights of others here.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Though my memory is full of holes now, I had at one time memorized Poe's El Dorado and The Raven as well as the St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry V. Currently I'm fond of reciting The Tyger for the kiddo.

lostinspace

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
AWA, that will never be my conscious intent. In fact, once upon a time, I use to go out of my way to hunt down plagiarists on the net.

Would you prefer we provide links instead? Although they may allow bugs in.

lis

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
A weird mix:

Holy Sonnet X -- John Donne
The Flea -- John Donne (funniest pick-up line EVER!)
The Ballad of The Brand -- Robert Service, but primarily the ending.

ETA: I asked my hubby, and he recited the full Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Bat from Alice in Wonderland. :D

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
At one time I knew the entire poem "The Cremation of Sam McGee." At this point can only get 3/4 of the way through. I also know Ogden Nash's "The Octopus" by heart, but it's only four lines long. It makes me giggle.

Paramite Pie

Registered
Reaction score
The only poem I still remember is "Hope is the thing with feathers" by Emily Dickinson. I never intentionally tried to learn it though.

I had learned other poems in school but I can't quite recall them, only scattered lines and verses of Heaney, Wordsworth and Wilfred Owen.

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
Gods of the Copybook Headings - Rudyard Kipling
Opportunity - Edward Rowland Sill

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I memorized Invictus after coming back from a hike with a group where someone asked me to recite one of my own poems.
That wasn't going to happen, so I thought I'd better start getting some backups!