Braggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Mega congrats to so many acceptances! My goodness!

I haven't had a story sell yet (have been keeping up with the W1 not so much on the S1) BUT I got an article accepted into a little medical journal (pending edits, but the editor is working with me and my student). Bonus, I'm the only MFA among alllll these MD authors.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats V1c!

Amal El-Mohtar highlighted my poem, "Moral", on Tor.com for the first in a series on How to Read Poetry.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/04/how-to-read-poetry-101-whys-and-wherefores

I'm still pinching myself!

Thanks for posting this, Reynard, and congratulations! I'm one of the people she is speaking to in the article, and I'm going to follow the series now. I know poetry can improve one's prose (and I'm not talking about making it purple), but I don't know how to approach many poems. I loved your poem in the example, for the feeling it evokes and the images in my mind - yet as with many poems, I lack confidence that I fully understand it. I hope she deconstructs it further. The poetry I grew up on was often dark and humorous, and usually rhymed: The Yarn of the Nancy Bell; the English version of Strewellpeter. Some might not even call that poetry I guess, but it was entertaining. In high school I studied Australian poets whom I'm ashamed to say, did nothing for me. The ones we studied were all about the bush or politics, and I couldn't relate. Later, I studied Yeats - loved that. But I still don't know how to approach a modern poem, and I feel I'm missing something there. So thanks for noting this series here!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for posting this, Reynard, and congratulations! I'm one of the people she is speaking to in the article, and I'm going to follow the series now. I know poetry can improve one's prose (and I'm not talking about making it purple), but I don't know how to approach many poems. I loved your poem in the example, for the feeling it evokes and the images in my mind - yet as with many poems, I lack confidence that I fully understand it. I hope she deconstructs it further. The poetry I grew up on was often dark and humorous, and usually rhymed: The Yarn of the Nancy Bell; the English version of Strewellpeter. Some might not even call that poetry I guess, but it was entertaining. In high school I studied Australian poets whom I'm ashamed to say, did nothing for me. The ones we studied were all about the bush or politics, and I couldn't relate. Later, I studied Yeats - loved that. But I still don't know how to approach a modern poem, and I feel I'm missing something there. So thanks for noting this series here![/QUOTE]

Fihr, thanks for these comments! I know poetry can be daunting, sometimes troublesome... I'm hoping this series can open up the art form to more readers.

I love Yeats. :)

I'm enjoying reading the comments and deconstruction. It's bizarrely enjoyable having my poem be analyzed. I want to chime in and say, "sometimes a tree is just a tree", but I find the interpretatios add ayers of meaning that I really like.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
What a neat idea for a series, and how cool to have your poem held up as an example of the genre! Now I'm going to go read the comments on the article and see all the different interpretations.

Thanks, Sai! It's exciting, definitely.

Thanks Eliza and OD also!

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Congrats, Alex, Renard, V1c, and anyone else I missed.

I returned home from vacation to two braggages:

- My kids' SF short story, "Sleeping in Space," will be published by Knowonder!, although I'm not sure when they will use it. As of April 1, they no longer take new short story subs, but are concentrating only on short books.

- RV4 Publishing responded positively to my query for my 11k-word humorous SF chapter book, "Launching the Lunchroom," and they want to see full. (And if they don't want it, I guess I can send it to Knowonder!, which now takes chapter books!)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Lizardmaker on both bits of great news, and to Alex on the podcast - I listened to it over breakfast and liked that one very much.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Congrats Lizardmaker!

I was finally able to get a copy of your book Trouble at the Scriptorium. It's on its way. I think it will align well with 7th grade history. :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Alex, and Lizardmaker (great you were in before they stopped taking shorts), and congrats Sai on another sale to WW!

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations everyone! And Sai - you are on a tear!! Awesome :)

Found out today my children's poem for the Spellbound dragon issue was accepted. I've had plays and stories published, but I'd never submitted a poem before, so it's my first submission and first acceptance, and I'm thrilled. Renard, I have to thank you for inspiring me to look at poetry again.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to Sai and LolaVelo - both of your successes are inspiring!

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Congrats Sai and LolaVelo!

LV - that's great about Spellbound. They are a really great children's journal; I have a subscription. I'm waiting on a long-shot submission myself, so, if I'm lucky, I'll be joining you in that ToC.

Isn't poetry fun? :)

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Congrats Lizardmaker!

I was finally able to get a copy of your book Trouble at the Scriptorium. It's on its way. I think it will align well with 7th grade history. :)

Oh, that's great, Renard! Thank you! The sequel, The London Hurdy Gurdy, will be out this summer.

Congrats, Sai and LolaVelo.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
My story "The Big, Bad Wolf" is up today at Enchanted Conversation :D

Fairy tales, tales of faerie, and mythology are all special interests of mine, so it's really fun for me to be published in EC for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.