What does "Query Letter" include?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm overanalyzing, but...

I'm in the process of doing queries. One of my prospects has instructions like this:

Please send a query letter, a 1-page synopsis, a brief bio (including a description of your publishing history), and the first 10-15 pages of your manuscript. Please send all items in the body of the email, not as an attachment.

Most of it is pretty straightforward. It's just the "send a query letter" part I'm concerned about. Does this include the query text (max 250 chars)? That would mean I'm sending query text, synopsis, and sample MS extract. Is that right? Or is the "query letter" just a covering letter in this case?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Please send a query letter, a 1-page synopsis, a brief bio (including a description of your publishing history), and the first 10-15 pages of your manuscript. Please send all items in the body of the email, not as an attachment.

Most of it is pretty straightforward. It's just the "send a query letter" part I'm concerned about. Does this include the query text (max 250 chars)? That would mean I'm sending query text, synopsis, and sample MS extract. Is that right? Or is the "query letter" just a covering letter in this case?

Right.
The synopsis, at maybe 1,000 words, is a much more substantial document than the 2-3 line description of the book that is in the query letter.
Have a look at Queryshark (queryshark.blogspot.co.uk) to get an idea of what goes into a query letter.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The query letter is your normal query letter. You paste that in completely (including your signature). Then you paste the other materials below it.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
When I was querying, I did just what Sage said. Query letter, materials pasted below. I really just wanted to post the obligatory advice to go to Query Letter Hell. :)