The Kidlit Gang's Support and Accountability Thread

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's my problem. Right now, I struggle to find enough time to write. I just don't want to get pulled into one more thing that takes time away from that. Some days I feel my head would explode if I had to do one more thing...

I've found that it's very time-consuming at first, as you set up your account and find your way around. But, I'm thinking that once you are familiar with how it works and have built your community and connections there, it can become part of your general day, and not an added component. Rather like email. I used to spend a lot of time making phone calls, but now I use email. I also used to go to stores, but now I shop mostly online. I think Twitter can incorporate into your life, eventually, in the same way.

But, at first it takes time. The upside - it's really informative, and very cool! I'd say to leave it until you have some vacation time, then set it as a target to find your way on Twitter. If you try to add it to a very busy schedule, I think it could be overwhelming. ;)

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm another Twitter newbie, but I'm really enjoying it. Before I had my own account, I would lurk around, peeking at the twitter feeds of agents I had queried, or who had my full. It's funny, but you kind of learn a lot about them based on their tweets. Now I have a list of people/blogs I follow, and can scan all their doings on one page.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Okay, guys. We often mention short term goals on this thread. Any goals for 2013?

For myself, I suppose I want to:

- finish the WIP I'm currently on - drafting, revising, editing, beta-ing, revising, editing, the whole shebang.
- query it
- complete a first draft of something else
- get more interactive on Twitter, although that's so unquantifiable, but still.
- oh, and maybe a reading goal. In 2012, I did the One Hundred Books challenge on the YA forum. I read 108 books! I don't think I want to increase that goal. But maybe just maintain it - 100 books again!
- and I just saw this great article on ways to support new authors, aside from buying the book. My financial situation is such that I simply have to get the vast majority of my books from the library. But I love that this list suggests so many other things. So I think I'll make a goal of leaving more positive reviews when I love a book. (Right now I almost never leave reviews at all.)

Anyone else?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
So many of my goals right now have to do just with unpacking, developing some sort of predictable schedule, and making progress with my physical health. I've sort of put writing to the side while dealing with all that.

I've failed a lot of my short-term goals this year (and last year and the year before), so I'm just going to keep it simple. If I can get my first draft written by June and then through one revision by December, I'll be happy with myself.

ETA1: Oh, I'm also going to try to find a writing partner this year.

ETA2: And I would like to produce an author website and blog at some point this year. I guess these last two ETAs are less hard goals and more goals I'll be keeping in the back of my mind and trying to work toward. I might not actually need them this year. Still, nice to have, yeah?

Last edited:

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, guys. We often mention short term goals on this thread. Any goals for 2013?

- get more interactive on Twitter, although that's so unquantifiable, but still.

I think this should be one of my goals! I know it can be so helpful, but honestly, just seems overwhelming to me right now!

also,
- figure out these forum boards :) I hadn't been active for a long time, and now I'm back, and it seems like such a great support network, but again, super overwhelming to know where to start!

- finish this umpteenth revision on my MG sci-fi - trim another 5k words

- start querying it again

- start on some of my PB ideas

If anyone has any advice on MG blogs or twitter accounts to follow, PLEASE help a girl out! Particularly sci-fi :)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sending out the first four chapters of my ms out today to two betas. I'm so scared. :( Nobody's ever seen it besides me.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Don't be! I read the intro you posted - it looked really good!

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I've since hacked a bit off. I think it reads much better now. However, my main concern is that I'm afraid that the rest of the book might mirror the intro in that I might lose the readers because of tiny subplots, world building, and/or exposition. The initial draft was 55K Upper MG. I've gotten it down to 50K. As you can see, I might be a little loose with the typing. :(

Welp. No use complaining about it now. Off I go to send it to it. *hyperventilating* All I have to do is hit send. *dry heaving*. Okay, here sounds like a good place to throw up. :cry:

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I've since hacked a bit off. I think it reads much better now. However, my main concern is that I'm afraid that the rest of the book might mirror the intro in that I might lose the readers because of tiny subplots, world building, and/or exposition. The initial draft was 55K Upper MG. I've gotten it down to 50K. As you can see, I might be a little loose with the typing. :(

Welp. No use complaining about it now. Off I go to send it to it. *hyperventilating* All I have to do is hit send. *dry heaving*. Okay, here sounds like a good place to throw up. :cry:

It's hard, but has to be done. And whatever the feedback, you'll learn and improve from it! I thought my MG was done, twice, but ended up completely rewriting it. Twice. I still have fond feelings for the first versions, but I know this one is better. Sometimes you have to let go, but better things take its place. :)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
It's hard, but has to be done. And whatever the feedback, you'll learn and improve from it! I thought my MG was done, twice, but ended up completely rewriting it. Twice. I still have fond feelings for the first versions, but I know this one is better. Sometimes you have to let go, but better things take its place. :)

Thanks Nicola. There's a first time for everything, I guess. It's just a couple of chapters anyway. Depending on the feedback, it'll be up for COMPLETE beta soon. That'll be even more awkward.

I hope you're right about better things taking its place. Actually, I'm pretty sure you're right. There's always room for improvement. :)

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, my writing goals for 2013:

• Get my 35 word and 250 words as full of voice as possible, ready for Pitchwars.
  • Query my top 10 agents with DorkBoy, then reassess according to responses.
  • Get back to my younger age MG WIP and see where it goes.
  • Write my current picture book - right now I just have ideas, and a clear vision of one page.
  • Continue to discover and explore Twitter.
  • Build my website up by updating and adding more of my old articles, and writing some fresh ones.
I shall have to remember to come back here at the end of the year to see how many of those things I've done!

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Nicola. There's a first time for everything, I guess. It's just a couple of chapters anyway. Depending on the feedback, it'll be up for COMPLETE beta soon. That'll be even more awkward.

I hope you're right about better things taking its place. Actually, I'm pretty sure you're right. There's always room for improvement. :)

Yes, and often in unexpected ways! I ended up changing my MC from a girl to a boy, and developing some minor characters into major ones. And changing huge parts of the plot! And this was after some success querying, so I knew that my first version wasn't a total dud.

What I've ended up is better, but it's not at all what I expected. :)

It's an exciting journey, although I agree it can be scarey!

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
My goals:
Finish reading all of the books in my stack.
Revising both of my novels.
Learn to write a query letter.
Begin querying agents.
Start a new novel.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
My 2013 goals, in no particular order:
* Finish revisions on my MG fantasy.
* Finish my NaNo novel
* Finish my cozy mystery
* Sell something...

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
My goals for 2013:
• Kick ass with Enigma Files on PitchWars in two weeks.
• Finish revisions of the aforementioned book in time for any agents who might ask for fulls.
• Get an agent!!!
• Finish the pen-&-paper draft of EF 2: CURSED
• Type it up once I'm definitely sure my laptop is reliable :p
• Work on a few other MG/YA books I've had plans for. No set finish time for those. They just need to be started.
• Read more - both printed books and beta's works.

So yeah. Not too much :D

Dave

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
We definitely all need to return to this page this time next year, and see what we can check off our lists!

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone with their writing goals.

I myself only have 4:

- Have a polished(ish) draft of THE MAGICIAN'S GAMBIT ready by mid-February
- Write a kick as query and synopsis
- Start querying by March/April-ish
- Finally continue on to my next Upper MG Fantasy, DAVY JONES' LOCKER

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Hey Daniela and Laura and anyone else who might be embarking on the query writing process this year, I've got a bit of a knack for it (if I do say so). I'm not particularly good at getting an agent to actually sign me, but I get a lot of requests. Twelve for my current manuscript and eleven for the previous one (out of around 40 queries each). I've also helped critique partners get really good request rates. I mention this here because I don't pop into QLH all that often, but you guys feel free to PM me if you'd like a fresh set of eyes on your query. I'm happy to help with my dubiously useful skill!

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Daniela and Laura and anyone else who might be embarking on the query writing process this year, I've got a bit of a knack for it (if I do say so). I'm not particularly good at getting an agent to actually sign me, but I get a lot of requests. Twelve for my current manuscript and eleven for the previous one (out of around 40 queries each). I've also helped critique partners get really good request rates. I mention this here because I don't pop into QLH all that often, but you guys feel free to PM me if you'd like a fresh set of eyes on your query. I'm happy to help with my dubiously useful skill!

Thank you Joy. I will do that. I'm still editing at this point. But, I'm hoping to finish in the next few months.:)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score

Oh wow Joy. That would be spectacular! I'll PM you sometime at the end of the month with the terrible query I've not yet written. LOL.

I can't believe how supportive and invaluably helpful everyone has been been as of late. I guess I needed to step out of my comfort zone a bit to realize that. Thanks you guys —everyone.

If anyone needs ANYTHING from me, beta or otherwise, feel free to contact me as well. I promise I'm a decent writer. :)

DavidBrett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Joy! I'm subbing to some agents tomorrow prior to my PitchWars deadline, so I'd love to PM you the current query and see what you can make of it.

Dave

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
Joy - I know you don't know me (Hi! I'm Summer!) but if you're willing, I might take you up on that :)

Daniela - I know you just found several betas, but I really like your writing, if you wanted to beta swap a chapter or two at a later time - I need a little while, and you probably want to deal with the four betas you already have first, but just let me know!

David - Wow! Like, literally pen and paper? I haven't done that in.. probably years. Do you feel it helps your creative process, or just because you're having computer problems?

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Joy - I know you don't know me (Hi! I'm Summer!) but if you're willing, I might take you up on that :)

Daniela - I know you just found several betas, but I really like your writing, if you wanted to beta swap a chapter or two at a later time - I need a little while, and you probably want to deal with the four betas you already have first, but just let me know!

David - Wow! Like, literally pen and paper? I haven't done that in.. probably years. Do you feel it helps your creative process, or just because you're having computer problems?

Hi summer. Actually, only two people are taking a look at the first four chapters, but if you need a pair of eyes to take a look at yours, then PM when you're ready. I read your description in QLH and it sounds interesting.

Mine also needs a little work, so I'm not quite ready until sometime this week or weekend. I'll put it up in the beta section then.

DavidBrett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Summer (if I haven't welcomed you before. I have a terrible memory)! The answer to your question is a resounding 'yes to BOTH' :D

The laptop problem is all too evident, so I'll skip that. I write on paper also because I can write on paper a LOT faster than I can type, allowing the flow of words to turn into a torrent of creativity. If I'm typing my first draft it becomes a lot more slow and concise, as I have to slow my train of thought to match my clumsy man-fingers :p

Also, on paper the best I can do when it comes to corrections is cross out a mistake and place the new word/sentence above thanks to that nifty upside-down Y (see? I always said I'm not technical - what's that called?). So it's become second nature to just ignore most mistakes on paper and ride the creative wave. After all, they can all be addressed when I'm transcribing onto my laptop... When it chooses to work.

So, there you go! That's my writing secret. When I'm big and famous you can say you know how the magic happens XDD

Dave

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in awe of anyone who writes with a pen and paper. I'm so out of practice that I can hardly even write a shopping list these days!

That was something that totally stayed with me after going to the Roald Dahl museum a few years ago, the amount of sheer writing he did. It blew my mind.

I type fast though, so my typing can keep up with my thoughts. Not so if I try writing. However, I have to work on a split keyboard, can't cope with the tiny laptop ones. Which means I can't take my work out of the home, as the laptop is just too slow for me. My kids have taken it over, anyway, so maybe it's a good thing. :)